• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If you were to court a supporter of another team...

toellandback

Andy Cap
Would you try and convert them?

What are people's views? Do mixed race relationships work or is it best sticking to what you know?

I told you, I'm not changing allegiances no matter how many trips to Venice you try and flatter me with!

Would you try and convert them?

What are people's views? Do mixed race relationships work or is it best sticking to what you know?

I have kind of converted my better half albeit she does look out for her own teams results and at the moment they are a league below us but me thinks not for long!!1

wouldn't that mean after converting them, you would have to sit with them at footy? I think i'd rather not actually!

my Mrs' family are all Crystal Palace supporters. My wife hates football, so I guess it runs in her family.

TBH, I'm happy to have someone who dont like football, as opposed to someone with whom I would have NO RESPECT for.

my other half hates football and similar to others that suits me fine. thankfully she hates cricket as well.

Mrs MK went to her first game on the start of our "not losing" spree and she will be in attendance when we batter the farmers.

On the 28th December she'll be joining us lot in the away end at MK Donuts while the rest of her family will be in the home end.

WHAT a girl :)

I was doinking a Celtic fan once, but she was more enthusiastic about them than I was about Southend. I guess that's not entirely surprising when she had Henrik Larsson and I had eleven charlatans getting tonked by Stevenage in the Cup.

Had the relationship lasted beyond what was, frankly, an underwhelming two weeks for both of us, she'd have had more chance of converting me!

I once, whilst wearing my redsox t-shirt, got chatting to this American girl at the uni bar a few years ago, turned out she was a Yankees fan, and we 'argued' all night.

I got her number the next day from a friend, asked her out, and we got on very well. It's kind of fun dating someone who knows their stuff with regards a sport, and you can playfully argue about the rivalry and so forth.

Last edited:
I once, whilst wearing my redsox t-shirt, got chatting to this American girl at the uni bar a few years ago, turned out she was a Yankees fan, and we argued all night.

I got her number the next day from a friend, asked her out, and we got on very well. It's kind of fun dating someone who knows there stuff with regards a sport, and you can playfully argue about the rivalry and so forth.

Thats a really good point actually. But is it as good as knowing that someone fully understands the highs and lows of supporting your team. Is she going to understand the mood swings after you have lost to Rotherham in the tin paint trophy...

Thats a really good point actually. But is it as good as knowing that someone fully understands the highs and lows of supporting your team. Is she going to understand the mood swings after you have lost to Rotherham in the tin paint trophy...

I think as long as they support a team, even though not the same one, they'll understand the highs and lows. At the time her not so much because the Yankees were winning everything, but you get my drift.

It's different if your missus doesn't support a team full stop. I remember Forest away last season, and we got stuffed 4-1 after all that travelling. I was depressed for a week and my missus couldn't understand it.

My wife is a Spurs fan, but since we've been together, she has been to more Southend games than Spurs games. In fact, she hasn't actually managed to get to WHL!

Our son, however, has two Spurs babygros and a pair of Spurs football boots. He has nothing SUFC related because the club shop doesn't have any blue babygros. They have white and pink. How can SUFCs club shop not have blue?

The missus is a life long Blackpool fan, so are her family. 'Tangerine' runs in the blood apparently (not through too many alco-pops either - alledgedly). There's quite a bit of banter vis-a-vis Southend being the better seaside resort / having the better team as you can imagine.

Trying to change her is not an option but she knows her stuff, can hold her own on the offside rule and always comes to Southend games with me which is quite a bit.

I go to watch Blackpool too which is the compromise. Quite amusing really, almost surreal; their songs are pants because nothing rhymes with 'orange'. Boomfield Road looks more like a tango advert than a football ground, well, half a football ground.

my girlfriend and her family are Wigan fans. I'm more than happy to go along to games (it's easy enough to get a ticket!!) and she often comes to watch the blues. I don't see any problem with it, except that I'm much closer to Wigan than Roots Hall at the moment!

is there something you are trying to tell us in this post?

Not really, just curious. There's only one club that a girl could follow that would be an issue.

That said if i took someone to say Elland Road and they enjoyed itmore than wherever they had been watching there football, would i be responsible for converting them... ;)

I don't think it matters. I think that the playful banter it provides is always nice and I agree with what Irish Shrimper said, as long as they support someone then they're going to understand how you feel and be able to talk to you about it.

Oh and they're could be lots of reasons why they enjoy going to other teams matches (like Elland road). A player on the opposing team for example... Or just to see them happy that you're taking an interest in something they feel passionate about.

My G/F humours me, but isn't a big fan of football. That said she does come to a few games with me & cheered along with me a goal whilst in the Home end when away at Borient!! She often wears a Southend shirt to these games & has only seen us lose once & that was years ago. She seems to be a bit of a good luck charm!

Also she suggested that we went to a few away games. I went to game, she went shopping & we then had a night out in that town/city or even a whole weekend away! Next on the list is Bristol Rovers, which has got to have more going for it than Yeovil!

Back