• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

In praise of Sturrock

Shakes

So, after encouraging players to come to Southend to build a squad, creating a sense of competition and therefore some need to perform on the pitch (other than to fulfill a contract that pays an enormous wage by giving very little in terms of effort for the club), fielding a team that really impressed against West Ham and Bristol City and therefore proving that there really could be a good side here. Showing the sort of touchline passion to the extent of getting sent to the stand on his first league game in charge (his predecessor may have just shrugged and mumbled) and speaking with accuracy on the radio..... it's still not good enough for some supporters out there.

Yeah, Saturday was terrible but nobody seemed to pretend that it wasn't; I think Sturrock's the sort of guy that will use a performance like that to learn more about what is essentially a team in incunabula. Good luck to him.

So, after encouraging players to come to Southend to build a squad, creating a sense of competition and therefore some need to perform on the pitch (other than to fulfill a contract that pays an enormous wage by giving very little in terms of effort for the club), fielding a team that really impressed against West Ham and Bristol City and therefore proving that there really could be a good side here. Showing the sort of touchline passion to the extent of getting sent to the stand on his first league game in charge (his predecessor may have just shrugged and mumbled) and speaking with accuracy on the radio..... it's still not good enough for some supporters out there.

Yeah, Saturday was terrible but nobody seemed to pretend that it wasn't; I think Sturrock's the sort of guy that will use a performance like that to learn more about what is essentially a team in incunabula. Good luck to him.

Nice word.....er..:unsure:

As I have stated elsewhere, I just think his "players don't deserve their wages" was a totally inappropriate comment bearing in mind what has gone on in the last few months.

I just feel it is a shame to focus on a throwaway comment instead of the general tone of the whole interview.

I just feel it is a shame to focus on a throwaway comment instead of the general tone of the whole interview.

Having re read the interview again, I can fully understand where you are coming from and his forthright comments that "he will move players on if they don't do it" and "he will work night and day to make sure we are successful" are very positive statement to make.
Nevertherless the current batch of players must be fully aware of what has preceded them before joining the club and if i was sitting in that changing room hearing his negative statement about "don't deserve your wages" it would set alarm bells ringing.

Showing the sort of touchline passion to the extent of getting sent to the stand on his first league game in charge (his predecessor may have just shrugged and mumbled) and speaking with accuracy on the radio..... it's still not good enough for some supporters out there.

How does 'touchline passion' or 'accuracy on the radio' manifest itself in terms of success on the pitch? It's pretty irrelevant.

But a player's worth is highlighted during a game, and while everyone is allowed a bad day at the office occasionally, none of us will collect a wage if those occurrences happen too often. I think all that Luggy was trying to show was that the team needs to pull it's socks up now before sloppiness becomes a habit and that no one will be irreplaceable. It was right that no one at this stage is singled out as fans and team know it is early days, but an early alarm call wont do any harm.

As I have stated elsewhere, I just think his "players don't deserve their wages" was a totally inappropriate comment bearing in mind what has gone on in the last few months.

didnt even notice it myself, its a fairly generic comment for a manager to make after a shocking performance, i wouldnt read to much into it

didnt even notice it myself, its a fairly generic comment for a manager to make after a shocking performance, i wouldnt read to much into it

Spot on, wasn't reffering to the previous wages issue and said that they were so bad that they didn't deserve wages although with that team selection nor did he!

Had sturrock had time im sure he wouldnt have signed a few of the players that he did.

Unfortunatley time and money are something he didnt have a lot of ,so he had to sign players quickly to make sure we had a team. Its also woth noting that the majority of players we did sign will be on low wages and are only on 1 year contracts as apposed to **** like foran on 3 year deals.

If certain players perform then they will undoubtedly get new contracts if they dont they will be replaced easily . I think thats what sturrock has been getting at in his interviews.

I think this is a year consolidation , but like all fans myself included we want instant sucess and having watched good southend sides for the best part of the last 6-7 seasons its a blow to see such low quality in the blue and white like saturday.

As much as i would love Ron to **** off and Tilly to come back neither is gonna happen so the wiley old fox that is sturrock is the best we could have hoped for and in that respect i am relatively happy.

Me too happy with Sturrocks attitude, maybe if a few of the players last season were told the same they wouldnt have been so upset when they actually didn't get paid, but no doubt they were told they were Top Dogs!

Last edited:
Me too happy with Sturrocks attitude, maybe if a few of the players last season were told the same they wouldnt have been so upset when they actually didn't get paid, but no doubt they were told they were Top Dogs!

Have some respect mate! Once you leave school I suppose you will go to work and work for nothing - I don't think so

I think his comments maybe to cover up the fact that most of the players he has signed are crap.

Back