• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Insurance premium differences - New customers and existing customers.

Jam_Man

Life President
Firstly I accept Ive been stupid and lazy, I took out insurance with Direct Line years and years ago and as it auto renews have never done anything about it, havent even opened renewals.

However I saw the ginger rottweiller Anne Robinson ripping into some insurance bod last week about new customers getting deals and existing customers paying over the top.

got my renewal through and today did a comparison, my current insurance is £514, I did a like for like quote on the site and got a quote for £221 !

Now I know they offer discounts to new customers, but they arent taking into account the fact I have two cars with them either.

Rang them and they said they would not be able to get anywhere near their new customer rates and I shall therefore be reviewing all my insurance policies and moving them and saving at least £300 on household, and likely more again with the cars.

Totally disgusting in my opinion, I know having worked for one they bank on customers staying for 7 years and seem to just relying no this.

Morale of the story is dont be a lazy so and so and shop around!

Anyone got any recommendations
1. Not Insure&Go, Ive seen the types who work there
2. Not GoCompare, matter of principle after being irritated by those bloody adverts.

as above. Got a payment of £200 from topcashback a month ago for stuff i have bought over the past 2 years.

I would recommend reading the moneysavingexpert article on car insurance on how to go through the price comparison sites in the best order. Martin Lewis is probably my idol!

Yes, the insurance companies rely on you being lazy, and have done for years, it's nothing new!

Cheers will take a look.

Ive certainly been lazy and its cost me hundreds of pounds a year by the look of it !

Already cancelled the home insurance policies and will look at the cars later.

Working as an Insurance Broker there is no saving in being loyal to any insurance firm unfortunately. However stupid it sounds you will always be better off going online every year and getting a new policy. Even if its with the same company which sounds even more bizarre. Insurance companies only care about new business figures and all willing to lose loyal customers over it.

Every year i renew with the same insurance company but cancel at every renewal and go straight online and start another one. There's no point moving to a crappy insurance company just because you don't like the way it works because every insurer is the same not just the one your with. By doing this you will be able to get yourself some good saving if you have got a good claims record not just the odd £20 or £30. I recently had my renewal and saved myself over £250.00 so for me it was very worth doing.

I have no problem saying with Direct line, if Im allowed to just cancel and create a new policy Im more than happy to do so.

On Household alone I will save £300, not even looked at the cars yet.

Back