• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If the commentator is correct, Sampson made a whopping 10 changes to the starting line up for this match from the previous Spain match (only Millie Bright kept her place).
So effectively this isn't our true first eleven, by a long mile. Although I still think they have given a good account of themselves, especially in the 2nd half.
Sampson's obviously looking to rest key members or avoid them getting injured or booked & suspended ahead of the France clash in the Quarter Finals on Sunday.

Hence why I said it shows our lack of depth, our first eleven looks good but we aren't going to have much of a plan B. They did improve 2nd half though.

To be fair, I thought we got lucky with our 1st goal hitting Duggan on the rebound from the keeper, she did finish well though to lob the keeper. I also thought Portugal's goal was a tad lucky, perhaps the cross was over the line? (I didn't think so) but our defender should have cleared that ball into Row Z, not hand it back to to the Portuguese winger to have a 2nd chance for a cross.

Also, I think (even independents would agree) that the Ukrainian referee was truly awful tonight. But we made it through the group stages safely, & that's the main thing, our best performance so far in the group stages to remain unbeaten since 1982, so that can't be a bad thing. I'm sure confidence is high among the squad.

What with the group stages now complete, it's been a pretty stable competition so far (7 of the top 8 teams are still in it).
Only 2 surprises... Lowly ranked Austria topping their group and going through, & highly ranked Norway going out early & finishing bottom in the group stages.

Next up, France, as weak as they've looked so far in these Euro's, it will certainly be a much tougher challenge, especially when we bear in mind that we have never beaten them in a competitive competition.

Last edited:
I don't see any lack in strength in the squad, maybe some of the ten changes last night wouldn't necessarily make
Sampsons ideal starting XI but there are still at least half-a-dozen of them who could easily play a role as sub without affecting the shape or performance of the team.....Duggan and Parris to name just two.

Portugal had to go for it last night as I think they (and everyone else) expected Spain to win against the Scots. After a good first half they they never really looked a threat after our 2nd goal.

The big surprise to me in this tournament is how little any of the goalkeepers have had to do, very few saves and very few shots on goal. It's been more symptomatic of watching mens senior football.

Anyhow, deserved Group D winners and now the real challenge begins, tune-in on Channel 4 on Sunday, k/o 7.45pm.

Keeper probably should have done better but we've snuck a 1-0 win against France and are into the semi finals! We've got the Netherlands next which could be tough.

This tournament, especially a Lioness trophy winning campaign, could really "up" the interest in the womens' domestic league;
certainly if an international was played at FF in the near future I would be along to watch.

Scrappy old game, but we did enough and had a huge amount of luck on our side. With Germany out, we are now apparently the favourites. :stunned:

No idea how Austria are still in it, when I saw them at MK they didn't register a shot on goal.

First choice goalie Karen Bardsley out with a broken leg. Bloody French :angry:

Netherlands vs English Lionesses. I'm really looking forward to this. Give it some ladies, a lot more of the nation than there used to be is watching you.

We've been a bit ****. Deserved to be 1-0 down. Hopefully pick it up and play better in the second half.

Agree with you there MK, we were unlucky with the header cleared off the line & a possible penalty shout, but other than that, Netherlands have been bossing us all over the pitch. Like you said, lets see what the 2nd half brings.

Not good enough. Fairly clueless....utter change from the team that spanked Scotland. Hey ho.

I'll be interested to see if there are any noises about Sampson's position being under threat. Not that getting to a semi-final of any tournament is to be sniffed at, but I don't think the performances of the last two three games have lived up to expectations given the squad at his disposal. I also gather his ability to run people up the wrong way hasn't gone unnoticed...

Abysmal tactics, we massively missed Jill Scott and resorted to long balls in her absence, once we went 2 down we realised the Netherlands aren't actually that good at dealing with passing football but by then it was too late. Sampson needs to take the blame because the Netherlands didn't look that good when pressure was put on them but for 70 minutes we for some reason sat back and let them pass it around at leisure.

Back