• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

iPhone or Blackberry?

What's best?

• Total voters

EastStandBlue

Life President
Good people of SZ, The time has come where Orange have confirmed I'm eligible for an upgrade from my old piece of **** to whichever overpriced, over technical new piece of **** I want.

Now with the plan I'm on, I pretty much have the pick of the phones available and have narrowed it down to either the 16gb iPhone3GS or the new Blackberry Curve.

Which is best? I do do a fair bit of web browsing on my phone as it is, be it football scores or messing about when I'm on the train/bus/crapper. few of my mates have Blackberry's, but not enough to use the blackberry chat as a definite choice and I'm on unlimited texts anyway.

So, which should I plump for, the iPhone or the Blackberry?

I have neither but if you want my advice, then don't go for a Samsung Tocco Lite. It has annoyed me so much that I wish I can still refund it and that I can get a contract phone. Out of the iPhone and the Blackberry, I would personally go for the Blackberry Curve (8900 I've heard good things about).

Hope this helps (doubt it though).

Hi ESB

I was fortunate to get an upgrade to an IPhone last week through work as Vodafone are now able to offer them. Previously I had a Blackberry Pearl.
I have to say the IPhone is great, especially for photos, browsing etc, for example there is a free AP to download for Sky Sports and yesterday morning I was flicking through and you can select which matches of the day you are interested in and then these are uploaded for you with live scores and vidiprinter type thing, similar to that which you can see on Soccer Saturday.
The large screen is great for emails etc and is fairly straightforward to use.
The Blackberry is very good and my colleague has the Curve which he is more than happy with so don't think either would be a disappointment to you, that said having used them both it would IPhone for me.

One tip, if you do go the IPhone route make sure you have insurance or buy a screen protector as they are notoriously fragile allthough the latest ones are meant to me a bit more robust, so I am told.
Hope this helps and enjoy your new phone!
R.

Depends what you are using it for.

If you are going to have push email, etc, and be a fairly heavy duty user, then no doubt - BlackBerry

If not - the iPhone is more fun.

I had a 8gb 3g iphone which was really snazzy, but the amount i use my phone, the battery would run out in 4 hours, whereas my Curve 8900 lasts for 2 days. If you go for a Bold, turn off the 3G as I suspect that is the killer.

Hi ESB

I was fortunate to get an upgrade to an IPhone last week through work as Vodafone are now able to offer them. Previously I had a Blackberry Pearl.
I have to say the IPhone is great, especially for photos, browsing etc, for example there is a free AP to download for Sky Sports and yesterday morning I was flicking through and you can select which matches of the day you are interested in and then these are uploaded for you with live scores and vidiprinter type thing, similar to that which you can see on Soccer Saturday.
The large screen is great for emails etc and is fairly straightforward to use.
The Blackberry is very good and my colleague has the Curve which he is more than happy with so don't think either would be a disappointment to you, that said having used them both it would IPhone for me.

One tip, if you do go the IPhone route make sure you have insurance or buy a screen protector as they are notoriously fragile allthough the latest ones are meant to me a bit more robust, so I am told.
Hope this helps and enjoy your new phone!
R.
The Sky Sports app is excellent on the iPhone, you can have your accumulator matches on the front screen.

The Sky Sports app is excellent on the iPhone, you can have your accumulator matches on the front screen.

Sounds good, I'll check that out.

Must admit it does become a bit addictive, only had it three days and could not help keep getting it out and browsing. Oh and the shrimperzone site comes up really well!

thought you said you already had the Sky Sports app? The scorecentre one...

Other good apps are Facebook, Tweetie, and CoPilot on the iPhone. Unfortunately the only half - decent program on the blackberry is one called Viigo, for something to read on the train.

thought you said you already had the Sky Sports app? The scorecentre one...

Other good apps are Facebook, Tweetie, and CoPilot on the iPhone. Unfortunately the only half - decent program on the blackberry is one called Viigo, for something to read on the train.

Yes I do - I thought you were talking about a separate betting thing that I may have missed on the Sky Sports AP - sorry!
My Accys were rubbish yesterday (no change there) - still I do like Geoff Stelling (I know its shocking but for an older man I think he is quite handsome) ;)

You can always become addicted to twitter on your blackberry. Depends what you are looking for in a phone. Entertainment, then the iPhone (short battery though). Efficiency, the the blackberry (not many 'fun' apps.

I have the Blackberry 9700 and I love it. Although, if I could have afforded the iPhone I would have got that. The apps add so much to the phone whereas the Balckberrys App store is only new so has hardly anything at the moment. If you afford the rip off iPhone deals, get that.

I love my iPhone but the battery life (lack of) is a bit of a killer...

Got an iphone when they came out. Upgraded to 3G and today upgraded to a 3GS. Pubey mentions battery problem, but I charge mine every night and have a charging dock on my desk at work so not a problem for me.

I was chatting with the bloke in Southend O2 store. He said the best selling phone is the iphone by a country mile. It was just after midday and he had sold 4 already.

SkySports app is great, online betting is great and being able to watch terrestrial Tv on your phone is pretty clever too. Messaging and email all works very well. Cant really fault it but never had a Blackberry. However the ones I've seen seem a bit fiddly whereas every Apple product I've had is just so easy to use.

My Accys were rubbish yesterday (no change there) - still I do like Geoff Stelling (I know its shocking but for an older man I think he is quite handsome) ;)

Your Accys? Are you influenced then by Jimmy Greaves love of them in the late 80s when Southend also always used to get decent coverage from our Friday night games?

Seriously, get a flight up here & I'll get you some hospitality (unless it's Celtic or Rangers)...want to pat you back for the car parking hospitality!!!

Oh & it's Jeff ;)

Got an iphone when they came out. Upgraded to 3G and today upgraded to a 3GS. Pubey mentions battery problem, but I charge mine every night and have a charging dock on my desk at work so not a problem for me.

I was chatting with the bloke in Southend O2 store. He said the best selling phone is the iphone by a country mile. It was just after midday and he had sold 4 already.

SkySports app is great, online betting is great and being able to watch terrestrial Tv on your phone is pretty clever too. Messaging and email all works very well. Cant really fault it but never had a Blackberry. However the ones I've seen seem a bit fiddly whereas every Apple product I've had is just so easy to use.

yep i charge mine every night and on my work computer. the killer is long train journeys when you don't have a plug... i'll get a two hour film out of it and then it's dead.

yep i charge mine every night and on my work computer. the killer is long train journeys when you don't have a plug... i'll get a two hour film out of it and then it's dead.

Sounds like you need an IPad. Watched the vid, definitely getting one. Cant wait

Get a Blackberry. Download the Snaptu app (free) and you have a Blackberry and an iPhone all in one.

Easy choice.

Kev

I have both. iPhone for personal and BB for work.

Dependant on how you plane to use the device. The iPhone is brilliant on things like surfing the net, storing your films\music, finding your way around places you dont know, and using lots of awesome add-on apps.

However, if you want the phone to be "a phone", or texting\e-mail device, I would go for the BB insstead as the iPhone isn't the greatest a doing "phone stuff"

Back