• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Basildon close to Southend ?

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
I thought it was, but I must be wrong.
Had to go to Toys'r'us in Basildon today to pick up something for my daughter, and I was wearing my old Southend bobble hat which has the Southend crest and S.U.F.C on the side as well. This is something I sometimes wear in London when travelling on the tube as I am proud to show the team I support. I get the odd silly comment, but I'm in London and expect it.
But walking from the shopping centre car park to Toysrus, I gets negative comments from Three different sets of lads, the last one being ''Huh Southend, they're Wan kers'', to which I kindly replied '' They're your local, proper league club, Brain Dead''.

I was sadly the only person wearing any Southend gear in Basildon, it was a busy friday shopping day and this Town that is only a few miles down the road does not seem to have any connection to S.U.F.C. at all.

I know we have a few supporters from there, but we should have well over a thousand, location wise. It could be an untapped goldmine for the future.

I think a lot of it is the fact it's a new town full of people who's parents/grandparents moved there from the East End. Therefore it's a Wet Sham town and probably always will be. The one family brain cell is too overworked to develop a mind of it's own and leave the slums behind properly.

To be fair, Basildon is mainly a town full of ***** anyway. Hate the place

I started work on Canvey this week, with one SUFC fan who, when I told him I was mcnasty, told me I was famous, and several "we come from Dagenham" peeps who support Wet Sham. This part of the world has lots of people who moved from East London and who could blame them ?

I started work on Canvey this week, with one SUFC fan who, when I told him I was mcnasty, told me I was famous, and several "we come from Dagenham" peeps who support Wet Sham. This part of the world has lots of people who moved from East London and who could blame them ?

OK, I'll grant you - Canvey's a step up from the East End, but only just surely?

;)

I think a lot of it is the fact it's a new town full of people who's parents/grandparents moved there from the East End. Therefore it's a Wet Sham town and probably always will be. The one family brain cell is too overworked to develop a mind of it's own and leave the slums behind properly.

I think the issue is more an educational one. The standard of schooling there isn't very high, subsequently many inhabitants have a very poor grasp of geography. You therefore get a lot of Wet Sham, Man Ure, Liverpool and probably now Arsenal and Chel$ea.

OK, I'll grant you - Canvey's a step up from the East End, but only just surely?

;)

You'd be surprised. Now that so many Hamsters have moved to places like Basildon and Canvey, the East End (or rather bits of it) are actually quite nice. You now get as many Southend shirts there as you did in Southend when I was growing up there.

It makes me think the problem wasn't the area, it was the inhabitants.

I just feel that in the current climate, now is the time for swaying their heads East instead of West. The cost of Premiership games is now a joke and beyond most family budgets. They certainly won't be helping to line some greedy players big pockets, and they can watch teams that aren't a rich mans play thing.

I just feel that in the current climate, now is the time for swaying their heads East instead of West. The cost of Premiership games is now a joke and beyond most family budgets. They certainly won't be helping to line some greedy players big pockets, and they can watch teams that aren't a rich mans play thing.

Watching Southend is hardly the cheap alternative though.

I would imagine most Basildump people take SUFC as meaning save us from council tax....where as Wet Spam means. We expect to sponge/pimp always Mother****er.

Ken, thought you started next week? Got it wrong obviously - hope it's gone well for you -will send m'laddo down next week if that's ok!

I know we have a few supporters from there, but we should have well over a thousand, location wise. It could be an untapped goldmine for the future.

This was of course one of Vic's big ideas back in the day.Let's not go down that particular road again.
I can remember a pre-season friendly back there in the late 80's/early 90's when Shrimpero and I had to give Peter Butler directions to the ground!

VAAAANGE...... Sounds great when you say it in a Essex accent/ Eastend accent. I say we don't need them, Basildon trying to be like MK but you can't get lost at the roundabouts

I work in Basildon and all I see is West Ham shirts, tattoos, even a pregnant girl (looked about 12) with one of those disgusting shirts stretched over her bump. Not a pleasant sight.

This was of course one of Vic's big ideas back in the day.Let's not go down that particular road again.
I can remember a pre-season friendly back there in the late 80's/early 90's when Shrimpero and I had to give Peter Butler directions to the ground!

When the floodlights went out?

I can remember that happening at Basildon some wag shouted at Andy Ansah "smile Andy we can't see you!"

Anyhoo Basildon sucks.

You wouldn't want to ever do it, but if you go into several pubs on Canvey they show nothing but Wet Spam games on a Saturday, and they're rammed with people who fancy themselves as a bit of an "ultra" cos they turn out every week to watch their team and drink Stella as well. I was in two of these pubs on a pub crawl and had to leave one of them as the atmosphere was horrid. Deluded fans who never go to games + alcohol + being a Southend fan just is not where you want to be.

I hate that team with so much passion, more than ColEwe even. I think it's the fact that 95% of their fans truly believe they won the world cup and that they have every reason to feel hard done by with the Tevez affair.

And they're the only club I know of whose shirts go to XXXXXXL.

Fat (bleep).

Back