• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What do you want to wait untill we are starring down the barrel at religation because I dont.

We actually went up one place last week and one win would see a healthy climb.

We have had a bad run but we havent been outplayed in any of the games, we hardly look like a relegation fighting side.

In answer to the question posed in the thread title my opinion, for what it’s worth, is that PB is wrong to publicly berate the players. We are operating under an embargo with a small squad reduced further by the odd few injuries. In those circumstances it is important for the manager, coaching and playing staff to be resolved to support one another and work hard to get things right. That may involve airing a few home truths on the training ground, the dressing room or the manager’s office but a united front should be displayed at all times to the outside world. He is not in a position to drop half the team to teach them a lesson unless, as others have said, he intends to risk filling a number of the places with youth players. So, he will have to rely upon those ‘children’ to get a result for him in the next match. I wonder how they feel about that and what his comments have done for moral in general.

I know that if I was John Ward now I would be delighted with PB’s observations and would be telling the Bristol Rovers players “their manager thinks they are a bunch of wallies go out there on Friday get in their faces and prove him right”.

The lot of a football manager is easy when the results are going your way but the true test of how good one is at the job is when they are not. Does PB have the ability to regenerate confidence in players deflated after a string of poor results? With no opportunity to bring in other players can he find ways of addressing the obvious weaknesses? I don’t know the answers to these questions and all we can do is hope he can on both counts, although the stats quoted earlier in this thread relating to his previous managerial record would suggest there may be some doubt.

Personal opinions of the man aside, I am sure we all want PB to succeed, I certainly do. However, we are Southend United and I would like a little more attention to be paid to that second word in all respects.

Everyone has been concentrating on the 'bunch of children' sentence, whereas I find the following one just as worrying.

We’ve thrown away two valuable points and if these players don’t learn soon then we’ll have to change them.”

Phil should know that when dealing with 'kids' in the guise of parent, teacher or man (child) manager, you NEVER make hollow threats that you can't carry out. Apart from the loanees, all the squad are on contracts of, at least a year, so, can someone explain just how we are going to 'change them?' (Apart, of course, from bringing in more kids from the youths!)
In the end is this all a storm in a teacup? Frustrated manager makes hasty and ill-thought out comments to the press, which he probably regretted when he had cooled down. Simples, on Monday's training, PB apologises to the players (who, the vast majority, he is going to have to work with for the rest of the season) for an off the cuff comment and gets them to concentrate on the job at hand..........getting three points on Friday night. Only difficulty with that................is PB the kind of person to make apologies and admit that he said something he regretted after???

He's totally right.
I would've thought players and everybody connected to the club, would feel the same.
Good on him IMO... Though I wouldn't want to see this as a regular thing.
If their personalities are that fragile, professional footballs not for them.
It's not as if their performance was behind closed doors.
Let the players be publicly accountable every now and then.

Phil Brown column in today's Echo

Just been reading the column from the Echo and he makes a few very good points. Firstly that 50% of all goals come from set pieces and that the team have been spending that sort of percentage of training trying to sort the issues out. Also he says about his comments (so he does read this) and states that it is more a heat of the moment thing and that all managers are obliged to to speak to the press straight after the game which can lead, as in this case perhaps the wrong thing being said though he does stand by them.

On a slightly different note and to all the people who criticised him about slating the team, though in fairness i don't think he has ever singled out an individual, he does actually single Coker out for praise stating that he has been worthy of 8 or 9 out of tens in most games this season. That is good man management i feel especially when arguably he has cost us a few point over the last two games.

There is also a bit about trying to bring players in and about Reid and Woodrow whom he feels just needs a goal for the supporters to see the best of him.

I do hope this column wasn't written within the 'official' (sic) 48 hours of an important game, or indeed, at any point during Browns personal spare time :winking:

He's totally right.
I would've thought players and everybody connected to the club, would feel the same.
Good on him IMO... Though I wouldn't want to see this as a regular thing.
If their personalities are that fragile, professional footballs not for them.
It's not as if their performance was behind closed doors.
Let the players be publicly accountable every now and then.

When is the manager accountable ?

Saying they played poor is one thing but questioning them as humans (i.e. their maturity and character) is going too far IMO.

Back