• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yes we did play Carlisle United in the 3rd.round at home, lost 0-3 with an attendance 16,668 or 16,729 depending what book you read. Carlisle's goals were scored by Bob Hatton(2) and Bobby Owen. Chris Guthrie did not play in the match he did in fact sign for Newcastle United as a professional
in January 1971 ironically the same month when we played Carlisle United.

If I remember correctly that Carlisle game was midweek as the the original tie on the Saturday had been postponed. The draw for the fourth round had already taken place and the winners were drawn to play Tottenham at home. Carlisle were a good Second Division side at the time and were much too good for us . Hence the large crowd - not may from Carlisle though!

many Happy memories indeed, especially as an impressionable, football mad young lad at the time. Oh to crank up the Delorean & bring forward Best,Moore & Garner in their prime for tomorrow & the rest of the season! After all, there's no law against it, is there? ( well, maybe physics & reality! )

Spoke to my father last night about Best and he echoes just about every plaudit. Before my time but I’ve been blessed with watching so many great forwards over the years. Guthrie is the earliest I can remember. Collymore is probably the strongest of the lot but nowhere near my favourite. Caddette, Crown, Angell, Eastwood all make it above them. I can’t exactly explain why so bear with me. Best memory of Stan is him single handedly destroying West Ham in one of the most intense atmospheres I’ve ever experienced.

Reason I mention it is I am interested in direct comparisons between the two rather than diverting the thread.

Saw this "thread" and i started shaking...King Billy.
He is,omo,our greatest ever player.
Only ever spoke-heard him speak to us once...after the Chester 5-1,he scored a hat.trick..outside the main stand(east stand),he came out and was "mobbed" by kids my age....10-11 years old...ok,i was about 30 then,!!but we all loved him.
King Billy,came out,looking like most players did then.suit and tied...i will never forget it,signed all the autographs,with all the kids following him,like the pied piper.
He was the KING.... and he,unlike most players-people...he lived up to that...
If im upset,down,peed off...just say BILLY BEST...and my mood will change..
King Billy rules....ask any player past or present

Saw this "thread" and i started shaking...King Billy.
He is,omo,our greatest ever player.
Only ever spoke-heard him speak to us once...after the Chester 5-1,he scored a hat.trick..outside the main stand(east stand),he came out and was "mobbed" by kids my age....10-11 years old...ok,i was about 30 then,!!but we all loved him.
King Billy,came out,looking like most players did then.suit and tied...i will never forget it,signed all the autographs,with all the kids following him,like the pied piper.
He was the KING.... and he,unlike most players-people...he lived up to that...
If im upset,down,peed off...just say BILLY BEST...and my mood will change..
King Billy rules....ask any player past or present

Yeah met him last season and got my retro shirt signed, I was 58 at the time and was totally in awe of him. Stanley was the best player we ever had but Billy is still the king

This is my first post here and it's a privilege for it be done out of pure respect and admiration for a great servant of the club. I was lucky enough to see Eddie Firmani's last season at Roots Hall and as already stated, when Billy arrived and had 'found his feet' it was a joy to behold him running onto the pitch at the start of every game - you pretty much knew something special was about to happen. Thank-you for re-igniting such fond memories brought back here by some of your posts :thumbsup:

I agree with your summary of Steve Phillips I remember he worked quite well with Trevor Whymark who was another striker we bought well past his best![/QUOTE]

:off topic: From memory he was a complete waste of space!

Back to Billy Best and, although time clouds the memory I'm sure it was the Best-Moore combination that scored in my first game at Southend in a 2-1 victory against Colchester in February 1970. Blimey I did pick it, that first game, trouble even back then, things only calmed down after PC Plod and a group of hungry Alsatians were bought over to the west stand to first restore and then keep order.
The aforementioned FA Cup games against Weymouth and Dagenham were also attended by myself that year (can't remember the scorers) The 7-0 against Weymouth was a bit of a mismatch, but the 1-0 over Dagenham who were non league then was a much closer affair, and If I remember correctly a stunning performance by our 'keeper, might have been Trevor Roberts, but I can't be sure ensured our passage into the third round. Defeated by Carlisle who might have had Chris Guthrie playing for them ended that cup run for another year.
I remember a football magazine doing a feature on the four Best's playing at that time. George, obviously Clyde who played for West Ham and I think David who was 'keeper at Ipswich (might have that one wrong) Point is though I was well pleased seeing a Southend player mentioned in SHOOT or GOAL magazine.

Yes, it appeared in the Shoot or Goal Christmas Annual that I was given. The two page spread was intitled 'The Best in Football'

As you say Billy, George and Clyde were definitely there. Like you i couldn't recall the fourth. Although the Annual is long since in 'land fill', I am pretty sure you are spot on. According to wiki (and as we all know that's always reliable:winking:) David Best played for Ipswich between 1968 -74 which, i dont know about you but for me, would fit in with when i would have been given said album.

When this thread started my mind immediately tumbled back to that Christmas Album and 'The Best in Football'.

Thanks Bas' for filling in the gap.

"Unfortunately, my video-recall stops at that point, which suggests that the ball didn't find itself buried in the back of the net a split second later."

What words would be more appropriate...Upper branches of an oak? Loosened roof tiles? Bounced harmlessly into the car park?
Or ended up in the Roots HALL toilet block !:hilarious:

Never had the pleasure off seeing any off those great players you all mentioned apart from Crown ,i believe he was the striker in february 1987 when i came back for a short visit from Australia ,was against Halifax ,we lost 3-2 and Crownniescored both goals in an almost empty dilapidated stadium as it was back then.I often said on here my heroes were Roy Hollis and Sam McCrory,but i respect your opinions and thank the person for this thread.

I agree with your summary of Steve Phillips I remember he worked quite well with Trevor Whymark who was another striker we bought well past his best!

:off topic: From memory he was a complete waste of space!

At that stage of his career he had one of the most apt names in football.

He was a good 10 years past his best when we signed him. Earlier he had been far more productive. A full international who once scored 4 goals in one UEFA Cup match against Lazio. (The precise number he got in the first season he was with us and exactly double his second season total.)

I agree with your summary of Steve Phillips I remember he worked quite well with Trevor Whymark who was another striker we bought well past his best!

Whymark scored at Colchester for us (League cup?) and one Col player missed two penalties in that game. I even sympathised with a home fan!

Never had the pleasure off seeing any off those great players you all mentioned apart from Crown ,i believe he was the striker in february 1987 when i came back for a short visit from Australia ,was against Halifax ,we lost 3-2 and Crownniescored both goals in an almost empty dilapidated stadium as it was back then.I often said on here my heroes were Roy Hollis and Sam McCrory,but i respect your opinions and thank the person for this thread.

Think you will find it was Martin Ling who scored both goals on Tuesday 3rd Feb 1987 at Roots Hall against Halifax who scored 3, there were only 2,047 in attendance. Richard Cadette was our leading goal scorer that season with 31 goals, and we went on to get promoted in 3rd place one point ahead of Wolverhampton Wanderers in 4th place.

David Crown signed for us on the 1 Nov 1987 from Cambridge United and left on the 1st July 1990 to join Gillingham after making 132 appearances and scoring 69 goals for the Shrimpers, he was leading goal scorer in the 87/88 season with 17 goals, 88/89 season with 29 goals, and leading goal scorer 89/90 season with 23 goals.

Think you will find it was Martin Ling who scored both goals on Tuesday 3rd Feb 1987 at Roots Hall against Halifax who scored 3, there were only 2,047 in attendance. Richard Cadette was our leading goal scorer that season with 31 goals, and we went on to get promoted in 3rd place one point ahead of Wolverhampton Wanderers in 4th place.

David Crown signed for us on the 1 Nov 1987 from Cambridge United and left on the 1st July 1990 to join Gillingham after making 132 appearances and scoring 69 goals for the Shrimpers, he was leading goal scorer in the 87/88 season with 17 goals, 88/89 season with 29 goals, and leading goal scorer 89/90 season with 23 goals.

God you are so old...not like us Spring Chickens..:stunned:

Whymark scored at Colchester for us (League cup?) and one Col player missed two penalties in that game. I even sympathised with a home fan!

Associate Members Cup .... the League Cup games were the following season.

Was Martin Ling a coloured player because the person that scored definitely was,i was there with my brother Danny ,im sure he said it was Crown ,but i will bow to your superior knowledge.Thank you.:thumbsup:

Back