• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jack Wood, his merits and how best to use him

Wood isn't going to make the first XI next season, so either we're happy to keep him and he's happy to stay as a squad member who won't get many minutes or it's time for him to get a move / loan.

How can he produce the quality he has when he gets 10 minutes every 8 matches?

He’s had more minutes for us this season (including more consecutive starts) than any of Morton, Dackers, Waldron or Sandat and I’d say has produced less moments of quality than them.

He’s got to earn his playing time by taking his opportunities when they come.

He’s had more minutes for us this season (including more consecutive starts) than any of Morton, Dackers, Waldron or Sandat and I’d say has produced less moments of quality than them.

He’s got to earn his playing time by taking his opportunities when they come.
Again TBF that was in a CF role due to the embargo. He would have been better served by not playing nearly all his minutes out of position, because there are no allowances made and we reach the conclusion he’s not good enough any way.

I would prefer him to go back out on loan to a club that plays him in his natural position- but as before even if he gets 8 in 18 again it won’t change the fact that our preferred formation doesn’t suit him when he comes back. Shimperstats has done a thorough piece on this far better than I could.

But yes he’s not what we need as a CF (although he did better there than a good few we could mention if set the task)

It’s all opinions.

Again criticising someone who is not a CF for their performance as a CF is not entirely fair. When has he ever at the club started a game in his actual position? Let alone a run of games to prove himself?

I’m sure if we started Gus at CF he would get slated- but it wouldn’t mean he should then be overlooked in his actual position. The problem is I think we don’t play a system that accommodates where he is best suited. Maybe a season long (0r initially to Jan) loan at another NL club would be the best option all round. Although if he goes 8 in 18 again in a preferred position then comes back I’m not sure the same problem won’t exist.
I'm not criticising him, he did an OK job earlier in the season. I'm criticising our fans for not understanding why he's not starting.

The clamour for him to start does appear to be deafening, which puzzles me slightly because although he did indeed have an excellent game when he came on against Aldershot, it was under circumstances that are unlikely to be replicated when playing from the start.

I would like to see him in the attacking role in a midfield three before the end of the season to see whether he can be good enough off the ball to play that role and not leave his team mates short, and whether he has more impact there when we go forward than he did as a second striker earlier in the campaign. My gut feeling is his best position is coming in off a wide role, similar to Mooney.

As somebody else said, we're 13 unbeaten, which is probably the main reason he hasn't had more game time, rather than any rumours of a falling out or anything like that.

I think the clamor for JW is bought about because off JS estimation of him being an outstanding talent, we as fans trust JS he has a proven record when it comes to spotting talent , i believe everyone of us would love his prediction to come true and it can only happen if JW is given much needed game time. whether its here or out on loan.

I think the clamor for JW is bought about because off JS estimation of him being an outstanding talent, we as fans trust JS he has a proven record when it comes to spotting talent , i believe everyone of us would love his prediction to come true and it can only happen if JW is given much needed game time. whether its here or out on loan.

Young players being given a 'chance' is always chicken and egg situation. When JS states he is an outstanding talent he means potential for his age. Not the finished product. Every club in the in the non league pyramid will have a player who "Should have made it"

Not criticising JW or saying wont. But so far he has not progressed as much as most of us hoped.

Reactions: GBJ
Bottom line is, he will only get better with significant game time. If he can’t get it here, then he needs to get it elsewhere.

I’d be surprised if he’s still here next season. Which is a shame, as I think he is a very useful player. Different to what we have currently.

Another spell in the NLS would do him no harm. But I for one hope he stays registered with us.

Bottom line is, he will only get better with significant game time. If he can’t get it here, then he needs to get it elsewhere.

I’d be surprised if he’s still here next season. Which is a shame, as I think he is a very useful player. Different to what we have currently.

Another spell in the NLS would do him no harm. But I for one hope he stays registered with us.
I agree with you. I am sure without the embargo then Jack would have spent at least the first part of the season out on loan. He just needs to be playing football on a regular basis at whatever level.

I can't remember which thread is way in now. I think the broad topic was about Vilhete. I said that not every player in a squad can be a prospect able to play higher, you need your average, steady, workhorse-like players that know their role as a rotation or a backup.

Not to ignore the that we don't play wide midfielders but this is kind of an example of why that balance is important. Too many prospects means someone's career or development is going to be stunned.

Every time a player isn't playing now, suddenly they have 'an attitude' ....which is so wide of the mark in Woody's case.

It all comes down to simple maths.

Kev can only start with 11, can only name 5 subs and only bring on 3 of those. IMO Woody doesn't merit a start and subs are brought on for tactical reasons/injury cover .... not because someone scored one nice goal.

Because we have a very set formation and like Mooney he simply doesn't fit that system. We don't play wingers and we don't play a #10 (the two roles I think he can play). He's not going to be a CM in the Coker/Husin/Miley/Morton mode or a wing back. He could be more of a Wes perhaps but TBH Kev is wed to his system and Jack probably needs to be elsewhere fulfilling that talent.

As with Mooney I wonder if he was signed when there were still thoughts of 3 up top 343 or 433
Problem is we won’t win the league playing as we do next season. Maybe top 3….but to win the league we need greater creativity with a number 10 and wingers on occasion l I think we are playing analyst percentages a little too much at times.

Problem is we won’t win the league playing as we do next season. Maybe top 3….but to win the league we need greater creativity with a number 10 and wingers on occasion l I think we are playing analyst percentages a little too much at times.

Can you quit with this metropolitan elitist talk, can I have that in English for me and my fellow yokels please?

Can you quit with this metropolitan elitist talk, can I have that in English for me and my fellow yokels please?
One goal hanger, one lazy box sniffer and a little geezer that runs around a lot behind them. Good job we don't have a forward called T.Rees, or you wouldn't see the Wood for the T.Rees. There ya go mate, easy peasy when you know how.

Back