• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why would anyone want to sign for us? Signing for a club where the manager has lost the dressing room (with no indication he'll be getting sacked), has a dodgy pitch and is falling down the table at a rapid pace isn't exactly an appealing option for any half decent league player. Sure we have the Leonard money, but it's not much use if we're a less appealling option for players than if they stayed at their own club.

If we are trying to sign Championship players, I think your argument probably has some bite. It may not apply so much to the pursuit of players in League 1 and 2, and the conference.

Nicky Ajose apparently wants to leave Bury where he's on loan from Charlton as he's not getting any minutes there at the moment. Perhaps someone we could look at if Charlton want to loan him out again. Proven goalscorer in League One.

im sure there is some truth in that, however somehow 44 blighters have been signed up in our league no problem, so clearly it can't be that difficult to plan early and make a move. I know some players have moved irrespective of their agents for a host of different reasons. History shows it in our DNA to be constantly last to do anything whether it's pay bills, build a stadium or get players in
The trouble is the pressure mounts and clubs dive in and sign poor players, hopefully your regime will pick the right players at the right time but it is frustrating for you the fans I realise.

Nicky Ajose apparently wants to leave Bury where he's on loan from Charlton as he's not getting any minutes there at the moment. Perhaps someone we could look at if Charlton want to loan him out again. Proven goalscorer in League One.

Bury are just a very very poor man's <insert name of Premier League Club, here>

Sign a few name players and eventually it might stick.

He has been loaned to Bury (His hometown) several times over the years, I think the trouble with Nicky is that he is quite small by football standards and easily gets knocked off the ball. However having said that he is pretty quick so they have to catch him 1st!

He has been loaned to Bury (His hometown) several times over the years, I think the trouble with Nicky is that he is quite small by football standards and easily gets knocked off the ball. However having said that he is pretty quick so they have to catch him 1st!
At 5'6" he is not the man to take advantage of our hoofball tactics.One good season for Swindon but otherwise hardly a prolific goalscorer over the years and now apparently not good enough for the bottom club.

We&#8217;ll await the new signings before the weekend in response to hearing PB say this morning in the radio that there are 4 targets lined up and there will be additions before the weekend.

At 5'6" he is not the man to take advantage of our hoofball tactics.One good season for Swindon but otherwise hardly a prolific goalscorer over the years and now apparently not good enough for the bottom club.

Exactly my point, you need bigger lads up front if you want to score against giant central defenders these days.

We&#8217;ll await the new signings before the weekend in response to hearing PB say this morning in the radio that there are 4 targets lined up and there will be additions before the weekend.

So that basically means that no signings will be made before the weekend then.

Exactly my point, you need bigger lads up front if you want to score against giant central defenders these days.

There has been a noticeable increase in L1 in big lads doing the number 9 roll in the last two seasons. Unfortunately our big lad up front couldn't get out of bed by 9

Yep , those giant strikers Messi , Sanchez and Aguero have really struggled in recent years....................

yes , yes , I know L1 & 2 are different etc , but just saying...

Yep , those giant strikers Messi , Sanchez and Aguero have really struggled in recent years....................

In all seriousness, those excellent strikers may have struggled (or at least not achieved their potential) if they and their teammates were unfit, played out of position in teams that are badly set up with the wrong tactics.

Yes the smaller players thrive at the higher levels but league one and two are as you say very different. I still think the little and large combo has its place in our leagues. If you have a decent mobile target man and a clinical little fox in the box type it can work well. It was very good for us when we had Iwelumo and Cureton a few years ago, oh to have similar players now!

Yes the smaller players thrive at the higher levels but league one and two are as you say very different. I still think the little and large combo has its place in our leagues. If you have a decent mobile target man and a clinical little fox in the box type it can work well. It was very good for us when we had Iwelumo and Cureton a few years ago, oh to have similar players now!

No thanks we will stick to the Bluebells for our dated waste of time entertainment...Thank you very much.

Our problem is the system we play. Having a big unit up front can help but only if you play to his strengths. Hoofed up may allow a target man to hold the ball up or flick on but both of those skills are to bring a team mate into play and our current others have shown profligacy in front of goal and with no sign of that changing.

The tall guy can pay dividends at set pieces or crosses but we would have to up our game in those departments to be of any use.

Essentially we need variety, the ability to mix it up, in the air and on the deck. Most will argue we can't do that at home with our pitch but clearly, from results, we can't do it away from home either.

A couple of additions are unlikely to help the cause until we sort out the best play for the players we have.

Talk of transfer fees and our lowly budget, for me, is nonsense. We have rarely shelled out cash but have picked up good players. How much was Coker? The players are there if you identify them quick enough and are sure they fit in with the required system. When I say required system I am clearly not referring to the one we currently adopt.

Lenny cost us nothing and we got 6 good years out of him There must be other lennys out there crying for a club to give them a chance .

You don't. You just need one of your forwards to be good at holding the ball up. They don't have to be big lumps. If one striker can hold the ball up then you don't need a strong player next to them.

Sheffield United destroyed league 1 last season playing Billy Sharp as a lone striker. Jack Marriott who is current league 1 top scorer is short.

Jack Payne signs on loan to Blackburn Rovers for the remainder of the season.

Back