• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News King Kev nominated for Freedom of the City

I have been given the Freedom of the City of London, and a very nice ceremony it is too. As well as being able to herd your sheep across London Bridge, and be hung with a silk rope (as MB says) one is also entitled to carry a sword within the City boundaries and be taken home by the City Police if found drunk.

Am on the list to join in the sheep drive next year but I won't be taking up the other ones!
Jimmy saville had the freedom of Leeds just saying

Me and a fellow shrimper were talking yesterday and both jokingly said he should be given the freedom of the city for the job he has done.

You're welcome kev

This news is actually all the better, because I think this is the kind of local reverence that Ron Martin wanted after he'd built the town a new stadium. Instead a manager who he probably never wanted to hire in the first place, and for whom he failed to fulfil a promise of a deserved testimonial, has got it ahead of him. Sucks to be him!
Martin only deserves the accolade "Count of Canvey" give or take a letter.

Minute 4 Extract: Freedom of the City Nomination

The Committee considered a report of the Executive Director (Strategy and Change) relating to the nomination received, to confer the Freedom of the City on Mr Kevin Maher.

Resolved:
1. That pursuant to Section 249(5) of the Local Government Act 1972, the Council be recommended to confer the Freedom of the City of Southend-on-Sea on Mr Kevin Maher, in recognition of his eminent and outstanding public service he has rendered to Southend United Football Club and the City of Southend-on-Sea.

2. That a Special meeting of the Council be convened in the New Year, to confer the honour and to present Mr Kevin Maher with a ceremonial scroll.

I will always remember Kev's debut. Nobody wanted to give him the ball particularly Ronnie Whelan. Well Mr Whelan was a unmitigated success whereas Kev has shown it takes more than skill and brawn on the field to become a Manager. Also known as intelligence ! Wayne Rooney anyone !

As we have only recently been given city status have there been any other recipients

I will always remember Kev's debut. Nobody wanted to give him the ball particularly Ronnie Whelan. Well Mr Whelan was a unmitigated success whereas Kev has shown it takes more than skill and brawn on the field to become a Manager. Also known as intelligence ! Wayne Rooney anyone !
Pretty sure Kev joined under Alvin Martin, long after Ronnie had stopped playing, and later been sacked as manager.

Pretty sure Kev joined under Alvin Martin, long after Ronnie had stopped playing, and later been sacked as manager.
I stand corrected Sir. I do think however that the senior players, possibly Mike Marsh, did not take too kindly to this ex Spurs Whippersnapper ! Thank you once again

He did indeed. Didn't join til the January in 1997/98 as far as I can remember, I think with a view to replacing Mike Marsh who had retired in the October/November.

I have been given the Freedom of the City of London, and a very nice ceremony it is too. As well as being able to herd your sheep across London Bridge, and be hung with a silk rope (as MB says) one is also entitled to carry a sword within the City boundaries and be taken home by the City Police if found drunk.

Am on the list to join in the sheep drive next year but I won't be taking up the other ones!
Col Ewe fans (both of them) don’t need freedom of their city to herd sheep

Have we all fogotten there are three to this team Why put one on high when it is the three amigos As kevin said himself he could not do all this alone without the other two .

Have we all fogotten there are three to this team Why put one on high when it is the three amigos As kevin said himself he could not do all this alone without the other two .

Because, whether you like it or not, King Kev is the one in charge. He is the head coach, he is the boss. Yes, you cannot underestimate the role that Currie & Benno played, but Kev is the top dog.

Because, whether you like it or not, King Kev is the one in charge. He is the head coach, he is the boss. Yes, you cannot underestimate the role that Currie & Benno played, but Kev is the top dog.
Some how I don't think Kevin will agree with you on this

Behind every manager there is the driving force IE Tilly and Brush Tilly was the manager But Paul Brush was the man with the know how .As it is the same with mayher the man behind his has slightly more know how They win as a team and lose as a team .

Back