• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest on Brighton 606

We have a token neanderthal steward at the Withdean. End of last season a lanky 15 year old ran on the pitch (yes, a stupid thing to do). This meathead steward saw and rugby tackled him to the ground whilst he was being led off by 2 other stewards!

Absolute tosser.Watch when Forster runs over to the corner.about half way along the front of the stand watch A fan get up to celebrate.A single steward in an orange jacket shoves him to the floor.No need for that no matter who you support.I hope an offical complaint has been lodged.

Knowing there are tossers like you in the away end its no wonder people taking up stewarding is it....

lol brighton fans making a little thing a big problem the steward did his job end of! and nicky forster what a prick!

Stewards have powers of restraint, not powers of assault.

Apparently the matter is being investigated by the head of saftey at SUFC

Stewards have powers of restraint, not powers of assault.

Apparently the matter is being investigated by the head of saftey at SUFC

When does a steward ever get done....Never....

You know the rules and if you attempt to or do encroach on the pitch you can moan. Same thing happened to me at Blackpool a few years ago and you accept it as you have been a tit.

No time for any fans ,anywhere trying to get on the pitch. Hope he got hurt and won't do it again. Same goes for SUFC fans,keep off the pitch.

So it was ok for our fans to go on the pitch against Man U, and the Bristol City title winning game then?

Just the same thing really.

As for him getting hurt, thats out of order. If it was a SUFC fan that was pushed from the wall after celebrating a goal with one of our players there would be total uproar!!!

Just cause it's an opposing fan doesn't make it right.

I sense just cause we lost, sour grapes comes into this.

It's time some of us learnt how to lose with dignity!!!

So it was ok for our fans to go on the pitch against Man U, and the Bristol City title winning game then?

As for him getting hurt, thats out of order. If it was a SUFC fan that was pushed from the wall after celebrating a goal with one of our players there would be total uproar!!!

Cracking post.

The trouble is mate your fans are all jumping on the same band wagon about him trying to get onto the pitch which i know isn't true.The rest on here follow like sheep so it's pointless trying to have a debate.
This was posted by one of our fans on nsc

This morning, I spoke with David Jobson, the Safety Officer at Roots Hall, about the incident. He agreed with me that stewards have power of restraint but should not commit assault. He said that he will look at the tape and get back to me.

He added that some Southend fans were being interviewed on suspicion of racially abusing the referee (not Kuipers, thankfully) and that Nicky Forster is being questioned by the police in connection with gestures allegedly made at Southend fans. I didn’t see Forster make any gesture at the home fans.

The same poster replied later.........

David Jobson rang me an hour ago to say that he had reviewed the tape and agreed that the steward committed a virtual assault on the Albion fan. He said that the steward will be "spoken to". He should be sacked and prosecuted. If the Albion fan, having been pushed violently to the ground, had hit his head on the concrete steps then the steward would be facing a manslaughter charge

Cracking post.

The trouble is mate your fans are all jumping on the same band wagon about him trying to get onto the pitch which i know isn't true.The rest on here follow like sheep so it's pointless trying to have a debate.
This was posted by one of our fans on nsc

This morning, I spoke with David Jobson, the Safety Officer at Roots Hall, about the incident. He agreed with me that stewards have power of restraint but should not commit assault. He said that he will look at the tape and get back to me.

He added that some Southend fans were being interviewed on suspicion of racially abusing the referee (not Kuipers, thankfully) and that Nicky Forster is being questioned by the police in connection with gestures allegedly made at Southend fans. I didn’t see Forster make any gesture at the home fans.

The same poster replied later.........

David Jobson rang me an hour ago to say that he had reviewed the tape and agreed that the steward committed a virtual assault on the Albion fan. He said that the steward will be "spoken to". He should be sacked and prosecuted. If the Albion fan, having been pushed violently to the ground, had hit his head on the concrete steps then the steward would be facing a manslaughter charge

From where i was sitting at Roots Hall on Friday night, i swear i see someone get pushed. The TV replay of the goal answered my fears.

We've had games where we score important away goals and try to celebrate with the players, and i've never seen anything as heavy handed as what that steward did.

Who gives a toss.. Its a scummy Brighton fan.. Also if one of our fans tried to get on the pitch at an away game and a steward pushed him back on his arse you wouldnt here any 'uproar' from me..It would be his own fault.

I work with football clubs all across the country in terms of their stewarding, and can be pretty assured that SUFC will have concerns over this. All clubs must ensure that their matchday safety stewards have or are in the process of attaining a nationally recognised qualification at Level 2. Most do the NVQ, which I think Southend do..

There are 6 mandatory units, including one on Helping to Manage Conflict. This unit is all about communication, and defusing situations and knowing when to get assistance.. There is also an optional additional unit on 'detaining people', which I know no clubs do, and why? because they dont want litigation if a steward attempts to block someone and injures them.. Whether we like it or not, if someone comes onto our property and we hurt them, we are more than likely to get a lawsuit against us. Its the same for football clubs. The average steward has no rights to physically manhandle supporters.. In the UK, our successful model of stewarding is now being taken abroad, and we have recently designed a qualification to be used by FIFA for the world cup in 2010. This model is based on 'safety', and not 'security'..

Southend employ stewards to defuse situations and not to incite them, and certainly not to act as bouncers. In the heat of the moment of course **** does happen, but if the fan had been injured the club could have faced a potentially expensive lawsuit.

Many club stewards are supporters and it must be difficult to restrain yourself sometimes when you watch your team batter another inferior one who traditionally have 'scum' elements (i was hit on two separate occasions by brighton fans, whilst minding my own business), when the referee is clearly against you, and you are being baited by not only their fans and also their experienced players who should know better and then when they score from basically their only attack of the game and try to get onto the pitch during the game.... (completely different to Man Utd and Bristol City games)

That is why I am not a steward !

Surely resonable force must apply as it does for the general public? And if there was ever a grey area (a bit like Keegans hair) in law thats one of the big ones....what is reasonable force?

I presume its unlikely a steward would be successful in saying to an over boysterous fan - "I say old chap, would you mind sitting down and behaving".....:unsure:

And lets be realistic here, there are some very friendly and decent stewards. They arent all thugs. It seems, as is the way of the world, that you only get to hear about the bad....rarely is there much praise.

No stewards = no game

No stewards = no game

Indeed, as from next season it is quite possible that many clubs face the prospects of having parts of their stadiums closed due to lack of trained and qualified stewards. There are a number of factors that contribute to the S factor (Safety) in the latest Green Guide, and one of these is stewards training.
The more stewards/fans you have the more likely they wont get all their stewards trained in time due to a lack of assessors..

Colchester should be fine !!!

Totally agree, nothing worse than ungracious losers, and trying to highlight incidents like this only compounds this

Read my posts, I feel the same when SUFC fans do it, expect a slap for breaking the rules. Idiots against Man Utd spoilt part of that great night.

No sour grapes on my part, SUFC again undone by a team with some 'professionalism'' as I have debated with it's Neil.

I used to watch Crown Court so perhaps I can add a few words of wisdom.

We have to establish the intention of the Brighton fan.

Was the guy climbing over the fence or merely approaching it when the altercation happened?

From where i was sitting at Roots Hall on Friday night, i swear i see someone get pushed. The TV replay of the goal answered my fears.

Fears?!

I'm struggling to ignore one of my pet hates of people using 'see' instead of 'saw' too :cricko:

The racism, homophobia and abuse of away fans must make you feel so proud of your fellow Southend fans.

Does this board get moderated at all?

yeah well i remember beating you at the Hall & a load of your fans started running down the road throwing bricks through windows a few years back, not surprised the stewards were on red alert!!

yeah well i remember beating you at the Hall & a load of your fans started running down the road throwing bricks through windows a few years back, not surprised the stewards were on red alert!!

You're doing well if you can even remember the last time we beat Orient at the Hall !

Back