• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch ..... Leeds

Mick

Life President
Tuesday night sees Pat Miller, from Bedfordshire, refereeing his second ever Southend match in his 4th season as a League referee. His previous game was as a late replacement in last year's home draw with Swansea (5 cautions including, obviously, McCormack). A short, short-haired and, for my liking, overly fussy official, he is on a bit of a roll at the moment. His last 5 matches have produced 27 yellows and 4 reds, excelling himself last Saturday with 10 yellows and a red in a match which both managers said did not have a bad tackle in it. Sometimes after a game like that, and a chat with the assessor, a referee can follow it with a more lenient approach, but don't hold your breath.

Assisting will be regular visitors Dave Bushell (London) and Tony Mason (Kent) with Marvin Thompson (Middlesex) on the numbers board.

Tuesday night sees Pat Miller, from Bedfordshire, refereeing his second ever Southend match in his 4th season as a League referee. His previous game was as a late replacement in last year's home draw with Swansea (5 cautions including, obviously, McCormack). A short, short-haired and, for my liking, overly fussy official, he is on a bit of a roll at the moment. His last 5 matches have produced 27 yellows and 4 reds, excelling himself last Saturday with 10 yellows and a red in a match which both managers said did not have a bad tackle in it. Sometimes after a game like that, and a chat with the assessor, a referee can follow it with a more lenient approach, but don't hold your breath.

Assisting will be regular visitors Dave Bushell (London) and Tony Mason (Kent) with Marvin Thompson (Middlesex) on the numbers board.

The assessor certainly seemed to do the trick! I was worried, after having read the above, that the ref was going to ruin the game. Apart from disallowing our penalty call.....he seemed to have a pretty good game.

Thought the ref had an excellent game for once. You didn't really notice him which is how it should be. Oh and he didn't fall for any of their "i've been elbowed in the face" dives!

Thought the ref did very well. Absolutely right to book Becchio for asking for a yellow card too. Spot on.

Thought the ref had an excellent game for once. You didn't really notice him which is how it should be. Oh and he didn't fall for any of their "i've been elbowed in the face" dives!

Good call Graham ... i'd forgotten about the antics of some of their players till you mentioned it

I was really worried about this little fella - but he was excellent, let the game flow and didnt fall for any of that play acting from Leeds.

Good to see JCR running the line....!!

Come back again.

Glad the ref is getting some praise, I too thought he was excellent. There were a couple of little flashpoints in the game which he defused very well, using common sense rather than brandishing the cards.

Yeah have to agree with that. Sign of a good ref is that you rarely notice him. Thought his decisions for both sides were spot on. He played the advantages well and pulled back play where necessary. Can't complain.

Any thoughts on the penalty call? From where we were in the South Upper it looked like Laurent (?) was wrestled to the ground; not the best place to judge from though.

At one point I thought he was going to give something simply because the Leeds fans were claiming an offence every time the ball was player; to his credit though he stood firm and calmed things down well.

Any thoughts on the penalty call? From where we were in the South Upper it looked like Laurent (?) was wrestled to the ground; not the best place to judge from though.

At one point I thought he was going to give something simply because the Leeds fans were claiming an offence every time the ball was player; to his credit though he stood firm and calmed things down well.

It was hit and miss. I was right behind it and i have seen them given. I have to say i thought the ref and the bald headed :censored: of a linesman were awful.

It looked like a decent shout from where I was, but not a stonewall one by any means

The Leeds OS said the penalty should've been given .. and on the subject of which, the report on there was very balanced and fair, unlike many other sites i've seen, so fair play to them for that

I thought he got a few things wrong and was kind of fussy at times. Laurent being bundled to the ground by Michalik looked a clear pen as well (check out the pic on the OS!). That said he was 10 times better than Kettle on the scale of the "Kettle Meter", which is what I shall be using to measure referee's performance in the future. ;)

Back