• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just wondered if anyone has applied for tickets? Registered by number yesterday - at 55 quid a ticket, the system aint half bad! Beats the US system where its basically going to be one mega rush for tickets! Our random balloting should work well...and who says democracy is dead:D

My (possibly ex, possibly not-ex) girlfriend has. I'd personally rather eat my own faeces that listen to a day of self righteous preaching from cocaine snorting, personal jet owning, Al Gore bum-****ing celebrities like Bonio who see this as a wonderful opportunity to promote their new single (ala Scissor Sister at Live 8).

Sorry if i'm coming across a bit thick, but what exactly is Live Earth?

A Live Aid/8 thingy so we can save the world from global warming, despite the fact the whole shebang will pump out more CO2 than a medium sized east European country.

I don't know if any of you watched a program on Channel 4 a couple of weeks ago called 'The great global warming swindle'. Quite interesting.

Oh and us humans do not produce the most Co2. People have forgotten about the volcanoes, animals, oceans etc....and there is nothing we can do to stop those producing Co2.

The Channel 4 documenatary was severly flawed...plus its channel 4 :D

And yes i know it seems hypercritical with all such celebs promoting it despite what they do themseleves, but hey if it raises the issue - especially to the yuonger generation then surely theres no harm?

Yeah maybe but I think its all blown out of proportion and I'm sick of hearing about it!

Hear Hear !!!!

Well said that man !!!!

Change the bloody record bbc !

If you ignore it, sadly it won't go away... not sure that there is a lot we can do about it on an individual level, but it's real and it's going to affect millions of people and most of them are the poorest on the planet.

If you ignore it, sadly it won't go away... not sure that there is a lot we can do about it on an individual level, but it's real and it's going to affect millions of people and most of them are the poorest on the planet.

Yeah but there is no point us doing anything is China Doesn't.... Did anyone else see the program on Conspiracy Theorys Behind Global Warming ?

It won't go away because it's a natural phenomenon. The earth has gone through many cycles of heating up/cooling down as documented throughout history. During Roman times, Britain had some fine vineyards (and no gas guzzling 4x4's then) and during the 1800's London was so cold, the Thames froze over.

Quite frankly the science on both sides is highly floored, but 'm more inclined to side with the skeptics than Madonna, James Blunt and Bonio.

Yeah but there is no point us doing anything is China Doesn't.... Did anyone else see the program on Conspiracy Theorys Behind Global Warming ?

This was posted in a similar thread by Shrimp in a Kilt:

Two issues with this.

Firstly, it is a pretty sorry state of affairs when what we do is governed purely by self interest and not by what is right. Our pollution is contributing, be it by a relativily small percentage, to future problems that impact disproportionatly on the very poor in this World. There should therefore be no question that we have to act to minimise that impact regardless of what others do.

Secondly, the UK does still carry some weight in World affairs. If we are to have any hope of influencing others to minimise their carbon emissions, then we have to be seen to be leading the way. It is hopeless to moan about the USA, Russia, China and India if we ourselves are not acting.

This thread has been riddled with cynicism about Global Warming. While a cynical attitude can be helpful, and any society needs its share of cynics, in our society cynisism has become fashionable to an alarming extent, and in my opinion it is too often a thin and convenient disguise for self interest. The case for Global Warming/Climate Change has been pretty much made as far as the vast majority of scientists is concerened, and as has been said in this thread before, we CAN'T AFFORD to ignore it - the consequences of being wrong are far too serious.

It won't go away because it's a natural phenomenon. The earth has gone through many cycles of heating up/cooling down as documented throughout history. During Roman times, Britain had some fine vineyards (and no gas guzzling 4x4's then) and during the 1800's London was so cold, the Thames froze over.

Quite frankly the science on both sides is highly floored, but 'm more inclined to side with the skeptics than Madonna, James Blunt and Bonio.

Blimey, MK, is there anything you're not a cynic on? :thump:

I refer you to the post above, quoting Shrimp in a Kilt, and especially the bit about the disproportionate impact on the poor of this world. And yes, there have been variations in climate in the past, but two points: Firstly, there are far more humans in the world to be affected by these changes, and secondly what is happening is likely to be far more long lasting and more dramatic than anything the human race has experienced in the last 6,000 years - already we are seeing a bigger reduction in the ice caps than has happened even when the Romans were growing grapes in England.

Blimey, MK, is there anything you're not a cynic on? :thump:

I refer you to the post above, quoting Shrimp in a Kilt, and especially the bit about the disproportionate impact on the poor of this world. And yes, there have been variations in climate in the past, but two points: Firstly, there are far more humans in the world to be affected by these changes, and secondly what is happening is likely to be far more long lasting and more dramatic than anything the human race has experienced in the last 6,000 years - already we are seeing a bigger reduction in the ice caps than has happened even when the Romans were growing grapes in England.

Regarding the ice caps bit - you do know that its common for ice to break off and drift into the sea annually, but they do 'grow back'?

BTW, is it just me, or are other people finding it hard at the moment to write out posts on this website?:confused:

Regarding the ice caps bit - you do know that its common for ice to break off and drift into the sea annually, but they do 'grow back'?

BTW, is it just me, or are other people finding it hard at the moment to write out posts on this website?:confused:

I don't think you'll see them "grow back" to where they were even a decade ago in your lifetime Hils, let alone mine! :(

Blimey, MK, is there anything you're not a cynic on?

Very little I'm afraid. There are too many people with too many personal, selfish interest involved. Most scientific research is funded by companies, who if the data doesn't look in their favour, suppress it.

"Oh yes, Global Warming that's happening....now we've got these solar panels......"

I never take anything on face value I think that's a healthy attitude to take.

Very little I'm afraid. There are too many people with too many personal, selfish interest involved. Most scientific research is funded by companies, who if the data doesn't look in their favour, suppress it.

"Oh yes, Global Warming that's happening....now we've got these solar panels......"

I never take anything on face value I think that's a healthy attitude to take.

Up to a point, MK. I refer you back to the quote from Shrimp in a Kilt. To be sceptical is healthy, but you have to be discriminating, IMHO. To just assume that everything is a con/conspiracy without applying some intellectual discrimination is just as bad as assuming that the world is a Lovely Happy Place where Everyone Loves Everyone and Colchester Fans are Just Like Normal People!

Back