• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Maher To Hull?

BoyWonder2

2024, the year of the Shrimpers đŸ€ ⭐
Good call about locking the previous thread Mike, was getting boring.

Any ways, back on topic, I can't see Maher heading to the KC. He had the chance to go there at the begining of the season and decided to stay with us. I can't see him being prized away this time.

Over the past few years, Maher has shown his loyalty to us Shrimpers and I think we can see him here for a while to come yet. I'm looking forward to his testimonial.

I can't see PT coming in for Maher anyways, I don't think his quite Championship quality.

I would like to see him stay. He's a lynchpin in our team and would be hard to replace, that said every player has their price...

no he isnt championship quality, your right

He will be when his playing there with us.
tounge.gif

I could be wrong, but in my eyes only Eastwood and Gower could play Championship football at the weekend and not look out of place.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (XĂ bia Shrimper @ April 12 2005,22:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ April 12 2005,23:37)]no he isnt championship quality, your right
Why do you think he's not, J? It's a valid opinion (for once) but it needs justification.

WS
because he lacks strength and structure in the game.. he doesn't have much pace either, and i do not think the players get motivated by him..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ April 12 2005,23:40)]He will be when his playing there with us.
tounge.gif

I could be wrong, but in my eyes only Eastwood and Gower could play Championship football at the weekend and not look out of place.
Disagree. I don't think any of our squad are ready just yet for Championship football. Bruisers and battlers they may be, but up for the demands of the job two divisions higher? I don't think so, not just yet ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (XĂ bia Shrimper @ April 12 2005,22:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ April 12 2005,23:40)]He will be when his playing there with us.
tounge.gif

Disagree. I don't think any of our squad are ready just yet for Championship football. Bruisers and battlers they may be, but up for the demands of the job two divisions higher? I don't think so, not just yet ...

WS
there fitness would let them down and superior ball control as well..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ April 12 2005,23:41)]because he lacks strength and structure in the game.. he doesn't have much pace either, and i do not think the players get motivated by him..
A fair observation. However [from the TV viewpoint last Sunday] I didn't see any evidence of his lacking of "strength and structure" and he was certainly far more motivational than most. Maher clearly wanted to lift that trophy (last time was the FA Youth Cup with Spurs?) and he was darn well trying to get the lads going ...

WS

i think it wouldnt do any harm to let barratt have a go with the arm band and i am sure you would see a far more passionate side..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ April 12 2005,23:44)]there fitness would let them down and superior ball control as well..
Certainly they were puffing hard on Sunday and there were far too many tired legs. It's been a long season, fair enough, but I still think we need a little bit more stamina ...

WS

Sounds like a load of nonsense. One day we'll get a summer without a Maher to Orient/Hull rumour.

That said, if we could get McCormack in and get Jay Smith fit then with Guttridge & Bentley already here I'd be tempted to let Maher go if a Hull were offering decent money. Nothing against Kev at all, but as Thenewblue said earlier, every player has his price.

[b said:
[b said:
tounge.gif

WS
I dunno Mike. Eastwood has that arrogance/self-confidence that all good strikers need at any level of football. Perhaps he need more guidance at that level, and maybe if he was to play alongside an experience front man like Teddy Sheringham say, I feel he wouldn't look out of place.

But, if our team where to be put in the Championship, he'd look out of place. You get what I mean?

As for Gower, he has that ability to be **** poor all game, then a flash of brillance, a raking 45 yard pass, a superb cross to make a goal out of nothing which is always something nice to have. Again, he'd need to be in a midfield with someone like Paul Ince.

indeed,
perhaps a week of beach running in temperatures over 100 degrees might make it easier for them on a april afternoon
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ April 12 2005,23:46)]i think it wouldnt do any harm to let barratt have a go with the arm band and i am sure you would see a far more passionate side..
You may be right. But I think you're being a tad harsh on Maher. Certainly a couple of seasons ago he was lacking the nuance to convey inspiration and motivation to the rest of the team. But he's developed so well in the past 18 months and I think it would be unfair to remove the armband just yet. Think about it : as Maher has developed, so has the team. Coincidence? Maybe. But what if it isn't? What if "sacking" him as skipper has the REVERSE effect?

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ April 12 2005,22:45)]prior cos his played at the highest level b4
He'd get found out at that level. His career is winding down, and hopefully his career will end with Southend.

His lack of pace and poor general distribution on the deck would let him down.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ April 12 2005,22:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ April 12 2005,22:45)]prior cos his played at the highest level b4
He'd get found out at that level. His career is winding down, and hopefully his career will end with Southend.

His lack of pace and poor general distribution on the deck would let him down.
not to soon i hope

i would like to know who is the 2 ic if maher ever got sent off (not that he has a problem with discipline)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ April 12 2005,22:48)]
[b said:
[b said:
tounge.gif

WS
I dunno Mike. Eastwood has that arrogance/self-confidence that all good strikers need at any level of football. Perhaps he need more guidance at that level, and maybe if he was to play alongside an experience front man like Teddy Sheringham say, I feel he wouldn't look out of place.

But, if our team where to be put in the Championship, he'd look out of place. You get what I mean?

As for Gower, he has that ability to be **** poor all game, then a flash of brillance, a raking 45 yard pass, a superb cross to make a goal out of nothing which is always something nice to have. Again, he'd need to be in a midfield with someone like Paul Ince.
Eastwood and Gower have definately both got the ability to play at that high a level. They'd have to work a lot harder (or even harder in Freddy's case) there though as they couldn't get by on skill alone as they can at the moment playing for us. Before he got injured I felt that Jay Smith could have done a job at that level too.

The way Flahavan has played in 2005, I don't think he'd look out of place in a Championship squad either.

Back