• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Maher

Maldon Shrimper

First XI⭐
An article has appeared on the football league world saying that Gillingham are interested in obtaining the managerial services of Kevin to replace Stephen Clemence who was recently sacked.I would be amazed if there is any truth in this article but as they say football is a funny old game

They are definitely interested but is kev? Has the full backing of everyone here where as gills are gonna expect instant results. Think he could do better if he was gonna leave

Reactions: TJC
An article has appeared on the football league world saying that Gillingham are interested in obtaining the managerial services of Kevin to replace Stephen Clemence who was recently sacked.I would be amazed if there is any truth in this article but as they say football is a funny old game
It wouldn't surprise me if Gillingham were interested in Maher as what a job he has done for Southend United so will get attention from other teams.Ex Gills player too.I would be very surprised if he was interested.Gillingham sacked Neil Harris which was strange and then Stephen Clemence only lasted months so managing there looks a tough act

I’d imagine how interested Kev is would depend on the outcome of the winding up hearing in 13 days’ time.

If the takeover has completed by then - as Ron says it should have - I don’t see why Kev would be interested.

When’s the next protest outside Ron’s or Ron Jr’s?

Think they have a few older contracted players (Max Ehmer, Jonny Williams, Tim Dieng etc etc), their owner already said its a tweak rather than a rebuild in the summer.

Don't think he’ll have the players for the quick hard press and if he doesn't get at least the playoffs then its P45 based on past experience at the Gills.

And who would want to do the bridge/tunnel most days!!

After the magnificent job he has done under exceptional circumstances, there will be clubs interested in Kev Maher........but.....he has said the journeys only just begun here. He's looking forward to working under less restricted conditions under the new owners. He absolutely loves this club. So, he will not be going to Gillingham, or anyone else in the foreseeable future in the lower Leagues. We've been here before. Last year he was meant to be off to Bristol Rovers(A done deal someone said) I said no. Gillingham, Dagenham, and then Bristol City. I hope all this stuff doesn't start up again this break. Everyone has their price, but I think only Championship and higher could temp Kev away at the moment. He has a job to do here, and from what I'm told, is really looking forward to the future with Southend. So he won't be going to Gillingham. There's also a matter of loyalty. Kev encouraged the players and staff to stay when they weren't being payed, etc. He's not the type to abandon them, after all they've been through.

I’d imagine how interested Kev is would depend on the outcome of the winding up hearing in 13 days’ time.

If the takeover has completed by then - as Ron says it should have - I don’t see why Kev would be interested.

When’s the next protest outside Ron’s or Ron Jr’s?
I believe the 15th if no takeover is complete

The reality is, it’s a less attractive job opportunity than us, right now. Even with all our issues.

Gills will demand instant success & Kev will likely only be given a short time to produce that… such is the life of a football manager. He’s contracted for another 2-3(?) years, which might be longer than he’ll get at Gills.

He’ll want to put his stamp on the squad, but with several of their players being on decent contracts, his hands will probably be tied with what he can bring in or get rid of.

He’s suffered through some of the worst times in our clubs history, and right now we stand on the precipice of turning a corner and beginning our upward trajectory. Why jump ship now?

If the worst came to worse and we were liquidated, Kev’s stock wouldn’t be affected, meaning he won’t struggle finding a job.

I’m sure he’s on their list but I wouldn’t be too worried about it. I could be wrong, but I think it will take a better job than Gillingham to turn his head.

If you look at both clubs in isolation gills is the better job...... club in the efl with decent budget for league 2 with no uncertainty off the pitch. If this was any other manager at Southend they would be interested but kevs loyalty & love for Southend is probably the main reason he may decide to stick it out if gills came calling but if the takeover isn't resolved soon his loyalty and patience might be tested to the max. He surely got aspirations to test himself higher like any other manager would have.

I’m not really worried. For Kev to leave I think it’d take a far better and more attractive opportunity than Gillingham. He’s got a squad here he built as well as huge respect, patience, trust and freedom from the consortium. The good times are potentially just around the corner, so I don’t see Kev being remotely interested in this, especially given their record with hiring and firing managers.

I’m not really worried. For Kev to leave I think it’d take a far better and more attractive opportunity than Gillingham. He’s got a squad here he built as well as huge respect, patience, trust and freedom from the consortium. The good times are potentially just around the corner, so I don’t see Kev being remotely interested in this, especially given their record with hiring and firing managers.
Absolutely this! For people posting on here, saying 'we're ****ed and Maher will go'. you need to give this post serious consideration.

I guess the question is, what is Kev’s managerial dream?

If it’s to manage at the top level, top tier in English football then he needs to move himself through the divisions as and when he has success. He has, in the circumstances, been successful at Southend. He could move, and hope to replicate that with quick success at the Gills. Success there would look like promotion, which would put him into League 1. With two successful positions under his belt it may not be long before a championship club came knocking. At that point, he’s not far from his dream.

If his dream is to manage Southend up the pyramid then we will all enjoy that ride, hopefully.

I guess the question is, what is Kev’s managerial dream?

If it’s to manage at the top level, top tier in English football then he needs to move himself through the divisions as and when he has success. He has, in the circumstances, been successful at Southend. He could move, and hope to replicate that with quick success at the Gills. Success there would look like promotion, which would put him into League 1. With two successful positions under his belt it may not be long before a championship club came knocking. At that point, he’s not far from his dream.

If his dream is to manage Southend up the pyramid then we will all enjoy that ride, hopefully.

If he wants to manage at the top level, he’d be better off changing his name to Steven Gerrard or Frank Lampard.

Back