• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Maidenhead United v Southend United, Tuesday 20th February, 19:45 k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• Collin Andeng-Ndi

Votes: 70 83.3%
  • Gus Scott-Morriss

Votes: 67 79.8%
  • Adam Crowther

• Ollie Kensdale

• Jason Demetriou

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Jack Bridge

Votes: 62 73.8%
  • Cav Miley

Votes: 63 75.0%
  • Noor Husin

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • James Morton

Votes: 56 66.7%
  • Jack Wood

Votes: 37 44.0%
  • Wes Fonguck

Votes: 29 34.5%
  • Harry Cardwell

Votes: 53 63.1%
  • Henry Sandat

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • Marcus Dackers

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Danny Waldron

Votes: 54 64.3%
  • Oli Coker

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • David Martin

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • ….

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ….

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Win

Votes: 31 36.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 23 27.4%
  • Lose

Votes: 20 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that there is not a huge amount of support for Waldron in terms of the posts on here, but the poll puts him up there with Harry. This is the bloke that we have chased for some while because he can score goals, so I really hope he does start with the benefit of another full week's training.
Quite we are goal shy and Waldron is one of the few who have proved they can hit the onion bag- and allegedly he demonstrating his finishing skills every day in training. I would go Waldron & Cardwell with Wood behind.

I’d go for:

Collin
Crowther, Kensdale, Miley
GSM, Husin, Morton, Bridge
Sandat
Cardwell, Waldron​
For me the issue would be we are asking Sandat to play in an attacking MF role (he's not an attacking MF) when we have an attacking MF available- Wood. Sometimes I think we (including Kev) fall into the trap of wanting to get our "best" players on the pitch (even if out of position or at the risk of playing players that are to similar) as opposed to putting round pegs in round holes?

It's interesting that there is not a huge amount of support for Waldron in terms of the posts on here, but the poll puts him up there with Harry. This is the bloke that we have chased for some while because he can score goals, so I really hope he does start with the benefit of another full week's training.
I don’t think he was ever likely to come in and pick up right where he left off with Rushall. Step up in quality, part time to full time etc. was always going to take him time. But I think he’s only going to get better with game time so I’d still start him and be patient.

I'd go slightly more direct :

Collin
Demetriou, Crowther, Kensdale, Miley
Coker, Morton, Fonguck
Waldron, Cardwell, Wood

sub, Husin, Bridge, Dackers, Sandat, GSM.

or, assuming that Maher has no intention of considering anything other than a 3-5-2

Collin
Crowther, Kensdale, Miley
GSM, Coker, Morton, Fonguck, Demetriou
Wood, Cardwell

Sub, Husin, Bridge, Dackers, Sandat, Waldron.

The first setup is much better than the second in my view. I'd play JD tonight definitely as I think we'd benefit from his experience on field. I'd also rest some of our more creative players (Bridge / Husin) as they are well out of form. The industry of Wood who will do whatever job he's assigned will serve us better at present.

For me the issue would be we are asking Sandat to play in an attacking MF role (he's not an attacking MF) when we have an attacking MF available- Wood. Sometimes I think we (including Kev) fall into the trap of wanting to get our "best" players on the pitch (even if out of position or at the risk of playing players that are to similar) as opposed to putting round pegs in round holes?
I think Sandat is a better player than Wood though and whilst he’s not an attacking midfielder by trade, his close control, passing and vision are excellent. He’s got a trick or two in his locker to beat a man and has a goal in him. I think he could perfect as a second striker type player sitting behind the front two.

I don’t think he was ever likely to come in and pick up right where he left off with Rushall. Step up in quality, part time to full time etc. was always going to take him time. But I think he’s only going to get better with game time so I’d still start him and be patient.

Didn't appear to hinder the likes of McCauley Langstaff.

I know some of you have been itching to change formation for some time but it seems optimistic to me to have one training session to install new attacking and defensive shapes.
I get that. But there's plenty of other teams out there who mix up their formation every now and then. Take off a midfielder, put on an extra forward, etc. You pick a team based on what you have at your disposal, don't you? Don't understand why we can't. Do we only ever work on 3-5-2 in training?

Since he joined the club Waldron has played 18 minutes against Chesterfield, coming on as a sub, 30 minutes against Gateshead coming on as a sub, 75 minutes against York, starting the game and he warmed the bench for the entirety of the Oxford game. If I remember correctly, when he joined he was still working in his previous p/t job and therefore not taking part in full training, and not as fit as the rest of the squad. I'm sure this isn't secret stuff, so it's a bit harsh to expect him to fit right in to a team and hit the ground running by scoring regularly. Then again, I'm probably being too soft on him!

Since he joined the club Waldron has played 18 minutes against Chesterfield, coming on as a sub, 30 minutes against Gateshead coming on as a sub, 75 minutes against York, starting the game and he warmed the bench for the entirety of the Oxford game. If I remember correctly, when he joined he was still working in his previous p/t job and therefore not taking part in full training, and not a fit as the rest of the squad. I'm sure this isn't secret stuff, so it's a bit harsh to expect him to fit right in to a team and hit the ground running by scoring regularly. Then again, I'm probably being too soft on him!
Nah, I think you're being fair ... It was always going to take time for him to settle

I don't expect wholesale changes. The performance (and, to an extent, the result, although not as much as everyone would hope) was an improvement at Oxford City and the balance was a lot better, both in the midfield and in terms of mixing up our attacks (we could still drive through midfield more, but our best chance came early on when we did that and Husin threaded the ball through to Cardwell).

Cardwell looked sharper, especially as the match progressed, so I'd keep him in for now and expect that to continue to improve. I would like to see Waldron, but probably off the bench if he is still adjusting to full-time training, so I'd keep Sandat alongside Cardwell. I'd retain Fonguck in the starting line-up, but I would like to see Wood off the bench in that attacking midfield role.

There will be a square peg in a round hole whichever way we go about things, but I'd put Miley in place of the suspended Ralph and Morton into the pivot in midfield.

------------------Andeng Ndi-----------------
---------Crowther, Kensdale, Miley-----------
---------------------Morton-------------------
GSM-----------------Husin-------------Bridge
---------------------Fonguck------------------
----------------Cardwell Sandat---------------

Subs: Demetriou, Wood, Waldron, Dackers, Coker (if fit enough).

I get that. But there's plenty of other teams out there who mix up their formation every now and then. Take off a midfielder, put on an extra forward, etc. You pick a team based on what you have at your disposal, don't you? Don't understand why we can't. Do we only ever work on 3-5-2 in training?

The main issue with these conversations is that the management wouldn’t really think of it as 3-5-2. That’s overly simplistic as they set us up in different shapes depending on whether we are attacking or defending. We need to start thinking less of terms like 3-5-2 and more about terms like 3-1-6 in attack, box and diamond midfields, 4-4-2 mid-blocks and 5-3-2 low blocks etc

I appreciate this might be quite new to some but I can thoroughly recommend @ShrimperStats work in explaining these concepts and giving the vocabulary to express what we see in the pitch.

Doesn't crowther prefer to play left sided? Move him across left and then JD on right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back