• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I agree that Laird should get a run of games at the moment but if you fail to recognise Clifford is a good player then you are clueless in my opinion. You can say Laird should start ahead of Clifford without the criticism, he offers dynamism and steel to our midfield and is a great option to have. We are fortunate enough to have midfield options which allows Brown to tinker and keep us fresh, we never had this under Sturrock, why would we, he preferred to by-pass the midfield. As for criticizing Brown’s starting line ups, we are 4[SUP]th[/SUP] after the busy xmas fixtures where we are traditionally rubbish, only 3 points off top and playing football that is enjoyable to watch. His starting line ups can’t be that bad

He's not a defensive midfielder, or if he is he's a particularly **** one. Lets his man get goalside of him far too often.

WTF? If you think Laird makes dodgy tackles, Clifford is not the answer. Far more important than physical tackling is positioning and reading the game and Laird is streets ahead of the impulsive Clifford at this.

Well Brown got the starting XI wrong again, so I'd suggest it's legitimate to question his selections.
No manager always gets his team selection always right,but overall i think Browns gets it right a lot and is tactically aware.Our good league position backs this up

No manager always gets his team selection always right

Which is why team selection is a legitimate area to discuss.

It's hardly controversial to suggest we've had the wrong starting XI out there for the last two matches - the manager effectively admitted this when he made a first half sub to correct this.

Laird has been one of our more influential players this season - ok not as influential as Leonard but in that second tier along with Timlin, Hurst and Corr as players that we are much better with them in the team than not. I find his continuing omission surprising but arguable given we're on a decent run of form, however I find the idea of him being leapfrogged by Clifford staggering.

Going by this thread I think we should go with a midfield three of Straker, Stroker and Streacker perhaps? League 2 defences wouldn't know what hit them.
If we got a Streaker in as well, the opposition might well be put off their stroke (ooo errr missus).

Ever thought that Brown was saving Laird for the Millwall game? Wonder what your thoughts would have been if Laird damaged his hamstring on the pitch in those conditions and he was out for another month or so.

It's hardly controversial to suggest we've had the wrong starting XI out there for the last two matches - the manager effectively admitted this when he made a first half sub to correct this.

Laird has been one of our more influential players this season - ok not as influential as Leonard but in that second tier along with Timlin, Hurst and Corr as players that we are much better with them in the team than not. I find his continuing omission surprising but arguable given we're on a decent run of form, however I find the idea of him being leapfrogged by Clifford staggering.

completely agree.

YB , you've started something here !

Was thinking pretty much the same thing myself yesterday midway through the second half when a few legs started to tire.

Didn't know PB had a cat though :)

I think once Laird gets back into the side, he will keep his place. He wasnt up to his normal standards vs Cheltenham (IIRC) and left the defence far to exposed on occasions in that game and hasnt played much since. He always seems pretty happy and doesnt seem like one to kick up a stink so sure we will see him back sooner rather than later!

Straker losing his way again..............Does'nt surprise me. Time for the bench I'm afraid. Clifford at home, Laird away. Wonder if any stats give good reason for this...............Anorak time ?

Ok, stats for each start, if they were subbed or sent off taking the result as the score when they were subbed/sent-off

Clifford
Pl 13 W 4 D 1 L 8
Pts per game 1

Laird
Pl 7 W6 D 0 L 1
Pts per game 2.6

Timlin
Pl 15 W 8 D 2 L 6
Points per game 1.7

Leonard
Pl 21 W 9 D 6 L 6
Pts per game 1.6

Hurst
Pl 21 W 11 D 4 L 6
Pts per game 1.8

Atkinson
Pl 24
W 12 D 6 L 6
Pts per game 1.8

Straker
PL 22 W 9 D 6 L 7
Pts per game 1.5

Corr
Pl 21 W 11 D 6 L 4
Pts per game 1.8

Both Laird (A) and Corr (H) have come on as subs when we're losing to Pompey and inspired us to victory
Timlin's first three starts were all defeats. Since then he's been going at over 2 points per game

Ever thought that Brown was saving Laird for the Millwall game? Wonder what your thoughts would have been if Laird damaged his hamstring on the pitch in those conditions and he was out for another month or so.

He was brought on for 8 minutes against Wimbledon when we had a game 3 days later so I don't see why he couldn't have come on for 8 minutes here when we had a game 3 days later.

He was brought on for 8 minutes against Wimbledon when we had a game 3 days later so I don't see why he couldn't have come on for 8 minutes here when we had a game 3 days later.

Yet he didn't play in the game 3 days after being brought on against Wimbledon. Laird doesn't play for 2 games and suddenly he is "out of favour" with the management.

Yet he didn't play in the game 3 days after being brought on against Wimbledon. Laird doesn't play for 2 games and suddenly he is "out of favour" with the management.

He's had 8 minutes over the last 4 matches - 4 matches in which the starting line-up hasn't been fluent. I'd say that was out of favour.

He's had 8 minutes over the last 4 matches - 4 matches in which the starting line-up hasn't been fluent. I'd say that was out of favour.

4 games and 8 points, not a bad return for a team that hasn't been fluent. Seeing as though Brown said he would make changes after the performance against Torquay, with Laird not even finishing that, was it a surprise he hasn't featured much since?

Not bad, but not as good as the return in Laird's previous 4 appearances.

I didn't go to Torquay and Laird may have been shocking for 53 minutes there, but I'd have said he'd have built up enough credit to allow one bad performance to at least be the first midfielder off the bench.

Brown said on BBC Essex he will make one or two changes to the side for the Millwall game. I reckon one of those will be in midfield, with Straker being dropped and replaced by Laird. Stick him in the middle and Timlin out wide possibly? The second change will probably be starting either Corr or Freddy, and also using 4-4-2 from the off

Not bad, but not as good as the return in Laird's previous 4 appearances.

I didn't go to Torquay and Laird may have been shocking for 53 minutes there, but I'd have said he'd have built up enough credit to allow one bad performance to at least be the first midfielder off the bench.

Laird's previous 4 were 7 points from 4 games, so no his last 4 appearances were not as good as the last 4.

Cheltenham - draw
Chesterfield - win
Torquay - loss
Wimbledon - win

Brown said on BBC Essex he will make one or two changes to the side for the Millwall game. I reckon one of those will be in midfield, with Straker being dropped and replaced by Laird. Stick him in the middle and Timlin out wide possibly? The second change will probably be starting either Corr or Freddy, and also using 4-4-2 from the off

Certainly a fan of playing 4-4-2 at home, but wouldn't mind seeing us set up defensively for the Millwall game given the £67k prize money. Midfield 5 of Timlin, Leonard, Laird, Clifford and Hurst would do nicely, with Barry Corr up top. 4-5-1 was useless with Woodrow upfront. Was well too isolated and is too lightweight to hold the ball up; looked instantly better once switched to 4-4-2.

I rate Laird as a player and he offers a lot to the team,and i agree with you that he is a better player than Clifford,but you have to agree that most of the time Brown has got selections right.That was my point in general regarding team selection.Like i said in a previous post we are very strong in central midfield area

Back