• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Really?

Ok, I must have spent 30 years in the wrong industry then, shows what I know.

I have also spent 30 years in the insurance industry as an underwriter hence my interest in this topic. I did not say cover against an injured players wages was definitely not available only that I would be surprised if it is. Are you able to post any links to such products.

I understand insuring against say a transfer fee paid for a player who is subsequently injured. However as the club continues to pay a players wages irrespective of whether the player is injured or not they have not incurred a financial loss as a consequence of that injury. What therefore would the club be insuring against and what is the basis of indemnity?

At the beginning of the year the club sets their wage budget and based on the size of the squad will know what percentage of wages will be paid to players who are playing and those who are not. The only unknown is which players are active/inactive be that through injury, form or simply not being good enough. What would be the benefit of SUFC paying an insurance premium against a known exposure?

Morris was better than Mildenhall in my opinion

Wow.

I have also spent 30 years in the insurance industry as an underwriter hence my interest in this topic. I did not say cover against an injured players wages was definitely not available only that I would be surprised if it is. Are you able to post any links to such products.

I understand insuring against say a transfer fee paid for a player who is subsequently injured. However as the club continues to pay a players wages irrespective of whether the player is injured or not they have not incurred a financial loss as a consequence of that injury. What therefore would the club be insuring against and what is the basis of indemnity?

At the beginning of the year the club sets their wage budget and based on the size of the squad will know what percentage of wages will be paid to players who are playing and those who are not. The only unknown is which players are active/inactive be that through injury, form or simply not being good enough. What would be the benefit of SUFC paying an insurance premium against a known exposure?

They definitely are available.
It's a form of personal accident and sickness key man type insurance.

I think wordings are generally going to be considered proprietary information so I don't expect they'll be publicly available. However there is case law, not on the issue as it's widely accepted but involving, this type of (re)insurance. e.g. the Musini case for Real Sociedad's insurance for the Belgian player Peiremans (sp). You are barking up the wrong tree with budgets being set - not least because Oxley has signed for two years.

http://www.footballclubinsurance.co.uk/professional-sports-insurance

All a bit off topic so apologies.

I didn't know that you could insure against the transfer fee as I would have thought that once agreed, there is no financial loss in the event that a player is injured as there was no guarantee that he wouldn't get injured.

However, and as per the link, I believe that you can insure against having to pay out wages for a player who is injured and therefore the financial loss is for the wages being paid whilst the player is unavailable for selection. Also, the club would still be liable for the full wages to the end of a player's contract in the event that the player was injured and unable to play again.

I can't remember who it was but seem to remember a player whose contract was paid up in full by the Insurance Company, but who had to repay the Insurance Company when he recovered enough to start playing again.

I can't remember who it was but seem to remember a player whose contract was paid up in full by the Insurance Company, but who had to repay the Insurance Company when he recovered enough to start playing again.

Tony Roberts?

I didn't know that you could insure against the transfer fee as I would have thought that once agreed, there is no financial loss in the event that a player is injured as there was no guarantee that he wouldn't get injured.

However, and as per the link, I believe that you can insure against having to pay out wages for a player who is injured and therefore the financial loss is for the wages being paid whilst the player is unavailable for selection. Also, the club would still be liable for the full wages to the end of a player's contract in the event that the player was injured and unable to play again.

That's also why Mike Marsh (IIRC) couldn't play in the League again. He had to stay in the Conference (as it was then) otherwise he would have had to pay back the money he made from insurance. I believe he even had to change clubs when the team he was with got promoted.

That's also why Mike Marsh (IIRC) couldn't play in the League again. He had to stay in the Conference (as it was then) otherwise he would have had to pay back the money he made from insurance. I believe he even had to change clubs when the team he was with got promoted.

Yes, that was my understanding - an alluded to by Yorkshire Blue on an earlier page.

Thank you for the link.

I had not considered the contingency element and can see the benefit of a club receiving insurance monies for an injured player's wages to allow them to dip into the transfer market to replace (a high earning) key player. In my defence though Southend do not have any high earning key players or pay transfer fees!

Back