• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Michael Schumacher Injured

Me too, one of my all time favourite sportsmen though I know a lot don't like him.

Apparently now in a critical condition. In an induced coma. Hope it pulls through.

If you're on Twitter and interested in this story (which appears to be taking a turn for the worse) then this guy - @former_f1doc - is worth a follow.

Really knows his stuff and is explaining it all in simple terms for the layman.

Great find that and makes it understandable for idiots like me.

My brother fell off a ladder 2.5 years ago - bashed his head was put in an induced coma at his local French hospital (Dijon) - stayed there a couple of months with excellant care - has now made a full recovery - can drive, work etc etc - has a crap memory but he is nearly 60 so that is probably normal.

Anyway this shows that the French hospital system is pretty good - so there is a good chance Michael will make a good recovery as well

If you're on Twitter and interested in this story (which appears to be taking a turn for the worse) then this guy - @former_f1doc - is worth a follow.

Really knows his stuff and is explaining it all in simple terms for the layman.

The whole background to his career in F1 and sacking is interesting too.

Glad to hear he is making an improvement.

I'm at a loss to why they're investigating the actual crash. No one else was involved, and if he ski'd off piste then he's got no one to blame but himself.

Very odd.

What if they spot something that can prevent future accidents?

I'm at a loss to why they're investigating the actual crash. No one else was involved, and if he ski'd off piste then he's got no one to blame but himself.

Very odd.

Because ski resorts have a responsibility to make sure they're a safe as possible. He was off-piste when he crashed, and so I guess they're checking that the edge of the piste was clearly labelled.

Ah I see. Never been skiing, never will. Hence my ignorance.

There are risks to skiing, which is why you have to take out more expensive insurance. It could be completely not your fault (I was once wiped out by an out of control snowboarder and thought I'd broken my wrist) and you could end up in a bad way.

The resort has marked out pistes, for which they're responsible for marking out and maintaining. Normally they're perfectly safe, but if the snow got a bit bare and and rock got exposed then they're responsible to either mark it off, or cover it back up.

Around the pistes it's 'off piste' which means that it's natural snow and you don't know what's under it. Off piste skiing is great, and in many places perfectly safe, however you do it at your own risk.

I guess with Schumi they wanted to check that the off piste was clearly known, did he change his skiing style (slow down) in recognition of this, did he actually injure himself on an off piste section? Was he in control all of the way?

It sounds like there were two pistes (a red run and a blue run) running either parallel, or meeting together. This is very common, and there'll be a patch of off piste in between them.

The potential sums for a lawsuit could be astronomical with Schumi and so it's important to get this right.

Because ski resorts have a responsibility to make sure they're a safe as possible. He was off-piste when he crashed, and so I guess they're checking that the edge of the piste was clearly labelled.

They may also be looking at ways to improve safety gear such as helmets.

Back