• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think the point is that he makes it sound that we were simply outbid (i.e. we didn't bid high enough to get him), when in fact we weren't even in the running at that level for the player because Watfords valuation was simply way, way above what we thought he was worth.

There is a difference.

Only at a subtle level.

If we use basic economics, supply and demand and all that, the price was the right one - someone thought it was good value and paid it. Otherwise the price would have come down.

Now, before today i thought give him the benefit of the doubt, is he just an excited writer blah blah blah.

But after reading todays echo i think the bloke is just really trying to stir the **** up between club and supporters. Most of you who have read his article will understand this point of view but for the ones who dont/cant buy the echo heres a few snippits:

1, We cannot afford the fee for Micheal Raynes the alledge 50k, well to put you straight Chris, we can afford the alledged 50k but what Ron on behalf of the club is doing is trying to get the best deal he can.

2, We have been outbid by the likes of swindon and brighton for robinson, well if you cared to think about what you write you would know we were not outbid by either clubs (brighton new rich owner), we just would not be and can not afford to be dragged into a bidding war for an average player imo, who also our manager thought wasnt worth the fee they were asking.

3, Colchester have made 4 signings and we a lagging behind a club who survive on lower gates, you donkey, who cares about col u, they have a rich owner too and spending loads last season really helped them didnt it??

4, Fans frustrated by Dragging up freebies from Estonia and Holland, we are not man utd which you and some others think, if it just so happens these turn out good its another great move by Tilly and his team and some more money saved. I am not frustrated by free signings and back any player who pulls on our beloved blue shirt.

All this in one short article!

I know Mr Phillips does visit this board (fact) so when you read this chris please try and be positive and print facts not made up fiction on hearsay.

I know you have to sell papers, so please dont make stop buying it!

So you believe all the cobblers that Ron Martin comes out with but choose to question Chris Phillips. From where i'm standing Echo man seems to have got it about right, we are in a mess!

So you believe all the cobblers that Ron Martin comes out with but choose to question Chris Phillips. From where i'm standing Echo man seems to have got it about right, we are in a mess!

Where in my post did i say i believe every Martin says, can you read wiggy, do you understand constructed sentences or have you still got your head stuck up Darylls anal passage so far that your vision and hearing is clouded?

I think the latter

Let's all dismiss the opinions of a man who speaks to Tilson, the players and the people pulling the purse strings on a daily basis.

Sorry but i cant see too much wrong with Chris' article, he is saying what the majority of fans feel I believe. The club keep coming out with rubbish like "We are going to make early signings" but then trying to get players for ridiculously low fees that most Blue Square Premier clubs would reject. Freebies from abroad are a huge gamble, when only trialling them in friendlies. I could probably look like Bobby Moore against Great Wakering. The more we hesitate on signings the more chance of other clubs nipping in but we scrape our heels trying to take the **** with stupidly low bids.

We are the only club who hanst made signings and no other club have lost their player of the year or were more reliant on brilliant loanees like Dervitte last season. Two players injured already and we havent even kicked a ball! How can the likes of Oreint and Brighton get decent players in but not us. We are lagging behind every club but hopefully we can get someone in soon. I will always support the club and Tilly but wish the club would be more honest and stop promising things they cant deliver.

Where in my post did i say i believe every Martin says, can you read wiggy, do you understand constructed sentences or have you still got your head stuck up Darylls anal passage so far that your vision and hearing is clouded?

I think the latter

Admit it you love and believe everything Uncle Ron says, otherwise you wouldn't be so against Phillips reporting the doom and gloom truth!

Admit it you love and believe everything Uncle Ron says, otherwise you wouldn't be so against Phillips reporting the doom and gloom truth!
Isn't it about time you jogged on and went to a club that you actually support, cos you never have a good word to say about SUFC!

I believe that if Tilly had rated Robinson at 250k Ron may have pushed the boat out and bid up to that, we were NOT outbid, we just refused to become a player in a game in money ping pong where an average player was being punted for a lot more that he is worth.
I still disagree.

We valued Robinson at 100k. We bid 100k. Someone else valued him at more. They bid more.

Isn't that the definition of outbid?

Let's all dismiss the opinions of a man who speaks to Tilson, the players and the people pulling the purse strings on a daily basis.
I'll dismiss his opinion as I disagree with it.

We're crying out for another striker? Have a laugh.

Squad severely weakened? Yeah DD and Robinson has gone back, but they were never part of our squad really. Clarke has some ability, but he's never worked well with Barrett. About time for pastures new I'd say.

I'm so glad we don't have someone like Chris controlling the comings and goings at Southend, he sounds like he wants us to splash the cash whether it's prudent or not.

Now, before today i thought give him the benefit of the doubt, is he just an excited writer blah blah blah.

But after reading todays echo i think the bloke is just really trying to stir the **** up between club and supporters. Most of you who have read his article will understand this point of view but for the ones who dont/cant buy the echo heres a few snippits:

1, We cannot afford the fee for Micheal Raynes the alledge 50k, well to put you straight Chris, we can afford the alledged 50k but what Ron on behalf of the club is doing is trying to get the best deal he can.

2, We have been outbid by the likes of swindon and brighton for robinson, well if you cared to think about what you write you would know we were not outbid by either clubs (brighton new rich owner), we just would not be and can not afford to be dragged into a bidding war for an average player imo, who also our manager thought wasnt worth the fee they were asking.

3, Colchester have made 4 signings and we a lagging behind a club who survive on lower gates, you donkey, who cares about col u, they have a rich owner too and spending loads last season really helped them didnt it??

4, Fans frustrated by Dragging up freebies from Estonia and Holland, we are not man utd which you and some others think, if it just so happens these turn out good its another great move by Tilly and his team and some more money saved. I am not frustrated by free signings and back any player who pulls on our beloved blue shirt.

All this in one short article!

I know Mr Phillips does visit this board (fact) so when you read this chris please try and be positive and print facts not made up fiction on hearsay.

I know you have to sell papers, so please dont make stop buying it!

Bernie Friend was good as well, reported the truth, positive and negative just like Chris. Ron Martin hates it as it undoes all his spin that people like you fall for!

I still disagree.

We valued Robinson at 100k. We bid 100k. Someone else valued him at more. They bid more.

Isn't that the definition of outbid?

Yeah of course, but we were never gonna bid 200k then the price go upto 250k, aka Gary Hooper

It was an auction basically we were outbid but not due to lack of funds due to Tilly thinking he was only worth 100k and no more, that is different to what phillips makes out in the article.

Bernie Friend was good as well, reported the truth, positive and negative just like Chris. Ron Martin hates it as it undoes all his spin that people like you fall for!

Look through my previous posts wiggy, i dont take martins bull and spin, he is an estate agent at the end of the day. I trust what Tilly says and that is the difference.

I can't see too much wrong with Chris's article either - as Suffolk Blue has said, a lot of it echoes ( sorry ! ) opinions expressed on here and Chris has even used the 'Tilly pulling rabbits out of the hat' phrase that I used in the 'Do we expect too much from T+B ?' thread recently ;).

Equally,I can understand the club's reluctance to squander money on permanent signings after recent experience and the success of bringing in good young developing players from (mostly) premiership clubs. When the club has to be run on a tight budget this has to make sense as presumably this avoids expensive agents' fees and complications that permanent employment contracts bring, let alone the medical/injury risk.

I feel that Tilly is probably more comfortablre going this route as he clearly dioesn't stick his neck out so far when he brings in a loanee.

Many on here will recall that in the early Chairman's blogs, RM used the opportunity to take a subtle sideswipe at TIlly which caused a reaction from many, myself included, since which time these type of comments have been dropped from public consumption.

However, no doubt RM will still be smarting from the fortune that waster Foran cost him/the club and has made it clear that from now on Tilly's 'judgement' had better be spot on.

So what would you do if you were Tilly and asked to value Robinson in that situation ?

I can't see too much wrong with Chris's article either - as Suffolk Blue has said, a lot of it echoes ( sorry ! ) opinions expressed on here and Chris has even used the 'Tilly pulling rabbits out of the hat' phrase that I used in the 'Do we expect too much from T+B ?' thread recently ;).

Equally,I can understand the club's reluctance to squander money on permanent signings after recent experience and the success of bringing in good young developing players from (mostly) premiership clubs. When the club has to be run on a tight budget this has to make sense as presumably this avoids expensive agents' fees and complications that permanent employment contracts bring, let alone the medical/injury risk.

I feel that Tilly is probably more comfortablre going this route as he clearly dioesn't stick his neck out so far when he brings in a loanee.

Many on here will recall that in the early Chairman's blogs, RM used the opportunity to take a subtle sideswipe at TIlly which caused a reaction from many, myself included, since which time these type of comments have been dropped from public consumption.

However, no doubt RM will still be smarting from the fortune that waster Foran cost him/the club and has made it clear that from now on Tilly's 'judgement' had better be spot on.

So what would you do if you were Tilly and asked to value Robinson in that situation ?

A reasonable post mate and one which i find difficult to disagree with. However, I doubt that tilsons valuation, whatever it may have been, was a factor in the clubs reluctance/inability to pursue theo.

Some of you guys get so touchy with anything slightly negative on here or in the Echo. Chris Phillips is a Blues fan and gives them plenty of positive stuff during the season - at the moment there is very little to be positive about and he is reflecting the majority view.

Some of you guys get so touchy with anything slightly negative on here or in the Echo. Chris Phillips is a Blues fan and gives them plenty of positive stuff during the season - at the moment there is very little to be positive about and he is reflecting the majority view.

I think the article does reflect the views that a number of people (though I'm not convinced its a majority) have expressed on here though he let himself down with the comment about ColEwe making more signings despite lower gates - he should be well aware that they are backed by a very wealthy owner - that was poor journalism.

I think its over-the-top comments like 'little to be positive about' that some of us have a problem with rather than the 'slightly negative'.
Its like the boy-who-cried-wolf story, we've had so much negativity on here in the past two seasons that has proved to be unfounded.

Last edited:
Possibly... although the previous criticism levelled at him by Ron might suggest otherwise.
and of course everything that Sir Ron says must be true, complete and transparent.

Back