• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane My father Trevor Roberts

It's interesting that the shirt badge seems to have the Borough crest on it. I was not aware that this was ever used. It should narrow the year down though.
1967/68 I'd say.

What narrows it down more is no Eddie May but Derek Woodley is there. May played a lot that year, Woodley hardly at all. Exeter home at a guess - haven't got time to check the lineups atm.

Hi Haydn , your Dad was my geography master at Belfairs , so spoke to him quite a lot . I remember when in the 4th year and exam times we had to sit in the gym doing exams . One exam I did not do so had to sit there for a couple hours doing nothing with you Dad keeping an eye , I bought a couple of books to read , one was about Rodney Marsh and the other was a book about Liverpool . When your Dad saw the Liverpool book he asked if he could borrow it , he then spent the next couple of hours reading it instead of walking round the gym . I remember every Easter the school team would play the masters , your Dad played and scored two goals for the masters , one of which must of been a 35 foot drive . Before we left school the last couple of weeks my class spent a lot of time behind the workshops playing football with him in which he would join in playing with us and spend a lot of time speaking to us about football , I remember him telling us that the best player at Roots Hall was Billy Best of which we all agreed . We all liked your Dad and was one of the few masters we respected . On our last day at Belfairs we were walking out the school gate when he pulled up next to us and said "Good Luck Boys" we all wished him the same as you knew he meant it , we all said we would see him next season at Roots Hall when Cambridge played there . Sadly we never did , all the masters I ever had I will always remember your Dad .

Thank you for sharing this, it means alot to know he was liked and had a positive impact on so many people.

Trevor was the first Blues keeper i saw (67-68)
A great keeper and a even better human being.Like a lot of players, managers those days a true gentleman.Was very sad when he past away.
Haydn,have you ever seen the/our film...the team we call United??? Im sure your dad is on it.Im also sure someone from the club would send you one if youhave not got it

Trevor was the first Blues keeper i saw (67-68)
A great keeper and a even better human being.Like a lot of players, managers those days a true gentleman.Was very sad when he past away.
Haydn,have you ever seen the/our film...the team we call United??? Im sure your dad is on it.Im also sure someone from the club would send you one if youhave not got it

Dave Brabbing has contacted me and told me he has a copy of it on DVD. He mentioned it has Trevor included. I will need to see if it can be converted to a digital format as I am in Australia.

View attachment 12331

This photo was taken by the photographer Ian McLennan, Westcliff-on-Sea, Southend. Does anyone know what year?
View attachment 12331

This photo was taken by the photographer Ian McLennan, Westcliff-on-Sea, Southend. Does anyone know what year?

Good call Mick. This must be the match against Exeter City on 14th October 1967. We won 1-0 with a second half goal from Micky Bees!ey.

Players in the photo are (reading left to right):

Back row: Phil Chisnall, Micky Beesley, John McKinven, Trevor Roberts, Tony Bentley, Derek Woodley and substitute Jackie Ferguson

Front row: Sammy McMillan, Graham Birks, Andy Smillie, Jimmy Stevenson and Joe Ashworth.

smashing thread haydn.Roberts brings back many memories - your dad was our No. 1 when I first became a shrimper - still my favourite Southend keeper

View attachment 12335

Is this another Southend United picture? Mel Slack in the middle?
Hi Haydn,
Yes this is a Southend United picture and it was taken between January and May 1967. Players that I know are as follows on the right of your Dad in the picture:- Ray Smith, Tony Bentley(seated), Frank Matthews(RIP) ,John Randles(secretary) Andy Smillie, ?,? Now on Dad's left:- Tony Beanland, Steve Ingle, Mel Slack(RIP), Graham Birks, ?, Colin Flatt, ?, Ernie Shepherd, Derek Woodley(RIP), ?, John Baber, John McKinven(RIP), ?. Maybe one of the missing players could be Eddie May(RIP).
The dates above that I quoted are because Steve Ingle made his debut on January 21st. at Roots Hall against Brentford when we won 1-0 with a goal from Colin Flatt and he left at the end of that season playing his final match against Stockport County again at Roots Hall in a 0-1 defeat(Stockport County were Champions of Division 4). Steve Ingle played just 14+1 matches and scored 3 goals before moving to Wrexham that summer.
Fantastic memories Haydn for all the misty-eyed brigade on here and so nice to read so many stories about how your Dad touched so many people's lives. "Nobbler"

Haydn, I remember your Dad as a great keeper when I first started supporting the Blues alongside my late father - you look so like your Dad in your profile photo.

hi hayden remember your dad in goal one of the southend greats , he was the first keeper i saw when i first started watching the blues all those years ago i`m still there watching as in your dads day now back in division 4 so as they say quite a lot at roots hall MAYBE NEXT YEAR !!! all the best to you .

What a great thread! I am another one that remembers Trevor and what a great keeper he was for us. He was well loved by the Southend faithful and in my head I can hear the crowd in the north stand chanting his name whenever he made a save. I can remember feeling disappointed when he moved on from us and later stunned by the news of his passing. Thank you Haydn for sharing your memorabilia with us.

Remember standing in the North Bank totally in awe of your dad, I always wanted to be a goalie but my eyesight let me d. To top it off he was one of the best teachers at Belfairs. Totally dumbstruck when I heard of his death

Back