• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

National Heath Service

Holiday insurance is fine for countries that are not in the EU (eg, Israel,the USA,South Africa,Mexico,Cuba,Russia,Argentina,where I've also taken out holiday insurance).

No point in doing that in other EU countries where medical treatment is free, as long as you have a European health card.

It should work as follows.

Spanish couple have treatment here then return to Spain,British government then try to claim the money from the Spanish government..most of the time the Spanish doesn't pay the full amount..this is then replicated for every EU member.

Countries outside if the EU rarely repay anything even though their citizens have had treatment here.

ie the American approach.

Apart from being immoral and unethical that would be illegal under present EU legislation.

Somehow, I doubt very much if the existing health system will change very much once the UK finally leaves the EU.

(Or don't you want the right to be treated free of charge for yourself and your family members, if you're on holiday in Europe and you need medical attention)?

No I don't. That's why I take out insurance, which will cover me for skiing when I go in March.

A couple of years ago one of the girls in our group, broke her leg on a skiing trip in France. Medical team were on scene quicker than an ambulance in Britain. I got the task of accompanying her. Evacuated off the mountain by skidoo and straight to a medical centre. No waiting quick examination and x-ray leg put in a brace, issued with painkillers, certificate to say she could fly the next day and were back in the chalet having tea and cake all within 2 hours. We had to spend out £250 on all the extras but she claimed it all back.

A week later back at work we cut a young lad out of a car along the Old A13 by Fords. He had severe head injuries, we had him out and ready to go. Tried to gee the Ambulance control up a couple of times whilst watching him deteriorate fast. It took 1 hour for ambulance to arrived after the time of call.

In case you don't know in the emergency world its known as the 'golden hour' after that your chances of survival drop dramatically.

Yes of course the NHS needs proper funding as do the elderly, the Police and Fire Service etc. But we also need some joined up thinking if we are to spend the money wisely and make sure that saving £100 with one department doesn't cost another branch £100,000. Having worked in the public sector for nearly 30 years I have come to the conclusion that the two groups of people that should never be trusted with money or joined up thinking are politicians and middle managers.

No I don't. That's why I take out insurance, which will cover me for skiing when I go in March.

A couple of years ago one of the girls in our group, broke her leg on a skiing trip in France. Medical team were on scene quicker than an ambulance in Britain. I got the task of accompanying her. Evacuated off the mountain by skidoo and straight to a medical centre. No waiting quick examination and x-ray leg put in a brace, issued with painkillers, certificate to say she could fly the next day and were back in the chalet having tea and cake all within 2 hours. We had to spend out £250 on all the extras but she claimed it all back.

A week later back at work we cut a young lad out of a car along the Old A13 by Fords. He had severe head injuries, we had him out and ready to go. Tried to gee the Ambulance control up a couple of times whilst watching him deteriorate fast. It took 1 hour for ambulance to arrived after the time of call.

In case you don't know in the emergency world its known as the 'golden hour' after that your chances of survival drop dramatically.

Yes of course the NHS needs proper funding as do the elderly, the Police and Fire Service etc. But we also need some joined up thinking if we are to spend the money wisely and make sure that saving £100 with one department doesn't cost another branch £100,000. Having worked in the public sector for nearly 30 years I have come to the conclusion that the two groups of people that should never be trusted with money or joined up thinking are politicians and middle managers.

Well I do.

Yes,I've heard the term.

Do you honestly believe that if all payments made by the UK to the EU stopped today, I would still be able to use my EHIC overseas?

No but I'm sure that reciprocal heath care between the UK and other EU member states will be one of the first things to be sorted once Brexit negotiations start in earnest.

No but I'm sure that reciprocal heath care between the UK and other EU member states will be one of the first things to be sorted once Brexit negotiations start in earnest.

Which, like the existing arrangements, would have to be paid for and therefore could not be classified as being "free".

Which, like the existing arrangements, would have to be paid for and therefore could not be classified as being "free".

Semantics.The key word about the "existing arrangements" is that they're reciprocal.

On this subject, I'd hope a deal about Erasmus students would be easy to conclude after March too, because that would also be reciprocal.

Surely, even you can see that this is not a zero sum game? :facepalm:

In other words. some countries will benefit more than others from the arrangement.

Surely, even you can see that this is not a zero sum game?

Quite. You asked me if I wanted "the right to be treated free of charge for yourself and your family members, if you're on holiday in Europe and you need medical attention". I'm simply pointing out that, just like the services offered by the NHS, it's not "free".

I deal with a young guy who has LD..rather mild and he is a nice guy....however his family are at loggerheads,jealousy and hate are rife.The young guy loses his rag when his mother treats him badly,she IMO is his major problem.

The other day one massive row ensued between them all,the young man tried to harm himself with his vape,he hardly had a scratch yet the rest of the family called an ambulance and the police....they arrived and told them to take him to A&E...both services were not impressed.

This situation goes on and on and on and on.

Wasting emergency service time.....tick
Wasting A&E time.........................tick
Wasting other staff's time..............tick

Schools now. Funds being redirected away from London based schools. The schools that have seen massively improved results. And coincidentally in a part of the country that votes Labour. I do hope the government are not directing funds away from people who don't vote Tory.

Last edited:
Schools now. Funds being redirected away from London based schools. The schools that have seen massively improved results. And coincidentally in a part of the country that votes Labour. I do hope the government are not directing funds away from people who don't vote Tory.

Why not? Labour do it!!!:winking:

Why Labour closed Fire Stations in London if you didn't vote Labour.

They also stole part of the Firefighters and Police pensions in 2006, long before austerity. Whilst of course not 'reforming' their own pension scheme which pays far more money for paying in less.

Even Ken Livingstone asked for Firefighters support and promised no more cuts.....Goes without saying he lied.

Why Labour closed Fire Stations in London if you didn't vote Labour.

They also stole part of the Firefighters and Police pensions in 2006, long before austerity. Whilst of course not 'reforming' their own pension scheme which pays far more money for paying in less.

Even Ken Livingstone asked for Firefighters support and promised no more cuts.....Goes without saying he lied.
Yes and the fire brigade union unaffiliated itself from Labour in 2006. And in 2016 they re-affiliated to the Labour Party under Corbyn.

Matt Wrack, FBU general secretary, said: "Firefighters recognise that the Labour Party has changed for the better since the election of Jeremy Corbyn, who has given our members and supporters hope that we can shift the political debate in favour of working people'

7,000 firefighter jobs slashed since the Tories came into power in 2010.

As much as we don't like our Col U cousins - the government are closing 3 NHS walk in centres within a 20 mile radius in North Essex - I just wanted them to lose most of their matches and fear relegation again - this is just too spiteful. I mean you look at their attendances - about 1% of those effected are Col U fans.

Yes and the fire brigade union unaffiliated itself from Labour in 2006. And in 2016 they re-affiliated to the Labour Party under Corbyn.

Matt Wrack, FBU general secretary, said: "Firefighters recognise that the Labour Party has changed for the better since the election of Jeremy Corbyn, who has given our members and supporters hope that we can shift the political debate in favour of working people'

7,000 firefighter jobs slashed since the Tories came into power in 2010.

Just as many under Labour when they came to power in 1997.

When I joined the London Fire Brigade in 1985 there were around 7,000 operational firefighters its now less than 5,000. That means whilst you travel and work in London today there will be around 600 firefighters on duty to cover virtually anywhere inside the M25, including the station at Heathrow airport which used to be all Airport Fire service. The good news is the desk jobs have gone up so today there will be about 2,000 mangers and staff sitting at desks finding work for the 600 at fire stations

How does that affect you.... Well back in 1985 the whole of London had a minimum of B risk cover, which means a minimum of 2 engines within 5 minutes. Under 'modernisation' large parts of London have been downgraded to C risk, 1 engine in 10 minutes and D risk, 1 engine in 20 minutes. Nearly all appliances ride with minimum crew and they even want to down grade the minimum crew levels.

London one of the worlds great city's yet you may have to wait 20 minutes for one fire engine and yes people have died as a direct result of cuts.

New York is actually a smaller area than Greater London but they have twice as many firefighters than London.

To give you some idea of costs, compared to those big city banks that make a £12 billion profit per year. To pay for the whole of the London Fire service including all training, wages, equipment, office staff, building maintenance and even all our pensions would take just 2 weeks profit from say HSBC..... That's right just 2 weeks profit from just one bank pays for the whole of the London Fire Service for a year.

Just as many under Labour when they came to power in 1997.

When I joined the London Fire Brigade in 1985 there were around 7,000 operational firefighters its now less than 5,000. That means whilst you travel and work in London today there will be around 600 firefighters on duty to cover virtually anywhere inside the M25, including the station at Heathrow airport which used to be all Airport Fire service. The good news is the desk jobs have gone up so today there will be about 2,000 mangers and staff sitting at desks finding work for the 600 at fire stations

How does that affect you.... Well back in 1985 the whole of London had a minimum of B risk cover, which means a minimum of 2 engines within 5 minutes. Under 'modernisation' large parts of London have been downgraded to C risk, 1 engine in 10 minutes and D risk, 1 engine in 20 minutes. Nearly all appliances ride with minimum crew and they even want to down grade the minimum crew levels.

London one of the worlds great city's yet you may have to wait 20 minutes for one fire engine and yes people have died as a direct result of cuts.

New York is actually a smaller area than Greater London but they have twice as many firefighters than London.

To give you some idea of costs, compared to those big city banks that make a £12 billion profit per year. To pay for the whole of the London Fire service including all training, wages, equipment, office staff, building maintenance and even all our pensions would take just 2 weeks profit from say HSBC..... That's right just 2 weeks profit from just one bank pays for the whole of the London Fire Service for a year.

Now come on Riggers,you know all public services rely on an abundance of managers and back staff,I mean how else can they be justified raking in large salary in a made up role.

jobsfortheboysandgirls.

apparently it's all the GP's fault (we all know this is not true most GP's are good, of course there a few bad ones). Unlike our MPs who are faultless

Back