• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nelson Mandela

Status
Not open for further replies.

J

The Chameleon
Terrorist? ... no other words for him - he put burning tyres around people's necks.

This man was a menace to society, and should have never been released.

Also, why the **** should we celebrate his birthday here? Here's from Bongo bongo land - so go on, ****ing celebrate with the tribes out there!

Just saw snippets on sky news, with african chanting, i was half expecting to see Zulu's coming over the hill.

I too find it almost impossible to believe that a man who fronted a campaign of bombing, terrorism, murder and human right violations is treated as such a hero.

I wonder if Gerry Adams will get his own party soon? Maybe be the London bombers should get a shrine?

I thought that he was a terrorist. Good job Hitler is dead or some people would sing for him. It's all wrong in my opinion.

J -- slight correction the tyres filled with petrol are put over someone's head and then set fire to. They are not burning to start with because the bad people don't want to burn their own hands.

And to think that my company sponsered the event last night , probably not the best P.R stunt ever in my opinion but they onbviously thought so .

saw a bit on the news and he doesn't look like he's got long left anyway.

Mandela is one of the greatest men to ever walk the Earth and you must all be totally ignorant of the truth or knuckle headed BNP types to post as you have here..

So if Britain had been invaded by the Nazis in the war and had fought back against the invaders that would have been wrong would it?

Get your facts straight and even begin to have a little knowledge of what you are talking about before posting such sh*t eh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apartheid

Sometimes peoples stupidity never fails to amaze me...

Last edited:
Mandela is one of the greatest men to ever walk the Earth and you must all be totally ignorant of the truth or knuckle headed BNP types to post as you have here..

So if Britain had been invaded by the Nazis in the war and had fought back against the invaders that would have been wrong would it?

Get your facts straight and even begin to have a little knowledge of what you are talking about before posting such sh*t eh?

Absolutely spot on the money sir.

Just out of interest, would you consider the IRA & its leaders, to be of a similar standing as Mandela & the ANC. There are several similarities between the ANC & IRA, as both would claim they were trying regain a country that was theirs until it taken by a bullying country. Without making this a heavy political debate, I just wondered what others thought considering that the points made by J, DTS & McNasty. On the face of it they seem valid points, but I also abhor everything apartheid stood for. That said, & I can't think of another way of saying this, but I don't believe Mandela was whiter than white!

Discuss!

Just out of interest, would you consider the IRA & its leaders, to be of a similar standing as Mandela & the ANC. There are several similarities between the ANC & IRA, as both would claim they were trying regain a country that was theirs until it taken by a bullying country.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter...

Simply depends which side of the fence you sit on. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Wonder if you would feel the same if you had a family member killed by the bombs that Mandela as head of the ANC sanctioned? What about the Gueralla war he organised resulting in the loss of thousands of innocent lives?

How do you feel about Gerry Adams? Very different I am sure......

Last edited:
Well, if a former IRA leader was released from decades of imprisonment and then renounced violence, embraced his former enemies, forgave his persecutors and attempted to rebuild his country with an emphaisis on inclusion and friendship, while all the time touring the world to promote peace and racial equality, then, yeah, I'd probably quite admire them as well.

While I appreciate the fact that Mandela was not exactly trying to end arpatheid with cuddles and balloons in the 60s, it's fair to say that he's probably been punished enough for that by now. Surely it's better to judge a man on his actions in the present, rather than continuing to drown him in the past?

We have a simple choice in this life. We can allow bitterness and hatred to consume us, never relenting in our battle aginst our enemies, or we can attempt to work for a future. It might not work, in fact anyone who has been to South Africa recently will have an opinion on that, but at least it's an attempt to do the right thing. Mandela should be applauded for that, if nothing else.

Well, if a former IRA leader was released from decades of imprisonment and then renounced violence, embraced his former enemies, forgave his persecutors and attempted to rebuild his country with an emphaisis on inclusion and friendship, while all the time touring the world to promote peace and racial equality, then, yeah, I'd probably quite admire them as well.

While I appreciate the fact that Mandela was not exactly trying to end arpatheid with cuddles and balloons in the 60s, it's fair to say that he's probably been punished enough for that by now. Surely it's better to judge a man on his actions in the present, rather than continuing to drown him in the past?

We have a simple choice in this life. We can allow bitterness and hatred to consume us, never relenting in our battle aginst our enemies, or we can attempt to work for a future. It might not work, in fact anyone who has been to South Africa recently will have an opinion on that, but at least it's an attempt to do the right thing. Mandela should be applauded for that, if nothing else.

So if Rose West comes out of jail, denonces killing kids and campaigns for peace does that make her worthy of a concert too.

Mandela has done a lot of good work undoubtably (Lockerbie trials, World Peace - funny enough) and I commend that but he should not for my eyes be seen as "one of the worlds greatest men" when he is directly responsable for thousands of deaths. Murder is murder.

I would also add that Mandelas lack of action in dealing with AIDS in S.Africa is a major factor in the problems then now have. Altough he had of course tried to redress this.

Last edited:
Simply depends which side of the fence you sit on. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Its pretty much what I was hinting at, but the some of the put downs about BNP knuckleheads & ignorance is a bit strong, if you take the view you have about freedom fighters.

The big difference IMO, is the IRA was closer to home, more recent & unfortunately, some of us may know somebody hurt/killed by their violence. A very good friend of mine grew up in the same town as McGuiness & have heard some amazing stories of what happened there. Car thieves, rapists, burgulars, the bane of modern of society were dealt with a lot more severely than our soft courts. I know its not the main point of this discussion, but some people will tell you the IRA are comparable as the ANC. Adams is now an Irish statesman!!

Rose West wasn't killing children to further the cause of freedom in her home country. Murder is murder, right enough, and I have to confess that I don't know the exact details of what Mandela actually did, or the source from which this information has been obtained. However, bad things happen in war, and that's what it was. It's no excuse for killing, but if we continue to punish Mandela for that, then do we continue to punish the remenants of white government who sanctioned murder and widespread abuse? Do we continue to hammer the governments, including our own, who let it happen?

Mandela really could have been a **** about things when he came out, but he wasn't. The greater good is served by holding him up as an example of forgiveness, not by continuing to punish him.

I'm sure there are people here who have done bad things in the past, served their punishment and moved on. I wonder how they would feel if all the good they had done since then was publicly invalidated by everyone else?

Rose West wasn't killing children to further the cause of freedom in her home country. Murder is murder, right enough, and I have to confess that I don't know the exact details of what Mandela actually did, or the source from which this information has been obtained. However, bad things happen in war, and that's what it was. It's no excuse for killing, but if we continue to punish Mandela for that, then do we continue to punish the remenants of white government who sanctioned murder and widespread abuse? Do we continue to hammer the governments, including our own, who let it happen?

Mandela really could have been a **** about things when he came out, but he wasn't. The greater good is served by holding him up as an example of forgiveness, not by continuing to punish him.

I'm sure there are people here who have done bad things in the past, served their punishment and moved on. I wonder how they would feel if all the good they had done since then was publicly invalidated by everyone else?

Regardless if you die from a child murderer or a bomb you are still dead. Mandela is responsible for many innocent lives all be it in the name of politics and as a result I do not believe he can EVER be classed as a great man as great men do not sanction murder.

He has done his best to right his wrongs but that does not bring back the dead and I find the whole hero worship thing appauling.

Regardless if you die from a child murderer or a bomb you are still dead. Mandela is responsible for many innocent lives all be it in the name of politics and as a result I do not believe he can EVER be classed as a great man as great men do not sanction murder.

He has done his best to right his wrongs but that does not bring back the dead and I find the whole hero worship thing appauling.

Well, we're going to have to re-assess a few things if that's the policy. Winston Churchill needlessly sanctioned the use of poison gas in Iraq, so we're probably going to have to take down a few stautes.

Clive of India, Lawrence of Arabia, they're out too.

Much as I get the worrying sensation of opening a large can of worms here... does this mean you'd also say Winston Churchill can't be classed as a great man owing to his support of using chemical weapons against the Kurds in the 1920's? Just curious and all....

edit- slipper's had the same thought, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back