• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New business thread.

Chips Station - The best of Belgian chips.

Just about to open opposite in The High Street opposite The Royals.

Dutch Fries failed to make an impact so I fear the worst for another Benelux themed chip shop.

They have also spelled Southend as South End.

Not only is this arguably incorrect but it implies the shop is part of a succesful chain.

Acorn vegan pie and mash shop, Leigh.

Located in the old Oscars premesis on Leigh Hill this is the ideal location for a Leigh business with lots of narrow streets and double yellow lines to park ones leased Range Rover Sport with a cavalier disregard for parking regulations and other people.

Leigh is full of places to eat but most are crap so I hope this place does well.
I went here recently with my vegan brother and sister-in-law. It always seems fairly busy and the pie wasn’t bad as it goes. Still rather have the “proper” thing.

Dutch Fries, Southend High Street.

I have walked past this about ten lunchtimes and never seen anyone purchasing food.

There is a similar Belgian place in Brighton which does a roaring trade but I don't think Essex man/woman is ready for chips with mayonnaise based sauces. Especially Brexit voting pensioners which appear to make up a lot of passing trade during the week.

I can't see them making it but hope I am wrong.

For sure.

Update - saw a queue of three people on my way back down the high street.
Those Brexit voting pensioners was probably munching on those delightful chips mayo and not forgetting the delicious Frikandels way back in towns and cities in Belgium and Holland years ago, De Han in Belgium being my favourite for this taste sensation,anyway thanks for the heads up I will give them a try.

Dutch Fries failed to make an impact so I fear the worst for another Benelux themed chip shop.

Not only is this arguably incorrect but it implies the shop is part of a succesful chain.

Didn't see any Belgian chips when I was in Antwerp but there were Dutch chip shops all over the place in Amsterdam

Last edited:
Those Brexit voting pensioners was probably munching on those delightful chips mayo and not forgetting the delicious Frikandels way back in towns and cities in Belgium and Holland years ago, De Han in Belgium being my favourite for this taste sensation,anyway thanks for the heads up I will give them a try.

I get the distinction. Crispy frites are definitely better with mayonnaise.

Dub Kitchen on Queens Road.

Jamaican food cafe type place. Good location near the college so may do well.

I will give it a go next week and report back...

I always drive past the Bagel bar takeaway place in Pitsea next to the Wood Merchants , been meaning to swing by and get involved , always fairly busy and won;t be too pricey im guessing being located in Pitsea.

Love thy burger, Southend High Street.

They have certainly picked the wrong time to open and I am not sure they will find a lot of appetite for £10+ burger and fries on a high street with a Burger King, Two McDonald's and three Greggs.

Dutch Fries, Southend High Street.

I have walked past this about ten lunchtimes and never seen anyone purchasing food.

There is a similar Belgian place in Brighton which does a roaring trade but I don't think Essex man/woman is ready for chips with mayonnaise based sauces. Especially Brexit voting pensioners which appear to make up a lot of passing trade during the week.

I can't see them making it but hope I am wrong.

For sure.

Update - saw a queue of three people on my way back down the high street.

I noticed that old Dutch Fries premises was open today - all the cooking equipment has gone so I suspect a new business will be opening soon.

Hopefully not a mobile phone accessory shop.

Run Rooster flame grilled piri piri chicken.

Benfleet high street.

Looks like they are going for a restaurant but the premises is tiny so diners will get fed up of takeaway customers coming and going.

Something different but Benfleet isn't exactly short of takeaways.

Last edited:
Pie Hole pizza, Clifftown Road, Southend.

Looks like a Pizza by the slice place with some seating.

Could be a success if prices are reasonable.

Occupies the former Pasta Pia site which I was sad to see go.

Edit: Apparently this is a vegan pizza place so they are already restricting potential customers and The Railway does vegan food and is just down the road.

Last edited:
Twelve Burgers and Beer, Clifftown Road, Southend.

Looks like a posh burger place that serves craft beer.

It's going to be in competition with Legend, Mangetout and Love Thy Burger so could find it tough going.

Edit: Fosters, Stella, San Miguel... Not a craft beer place.

Last edited:
Love thy burger, Southend High Street.

They have certainly picked the wrong time to open and I am not sure they will find a lot of appetite for £10+ burger and fries on a high street with a Burger King, Two McDonald's and three Greggs.

Had a leaflet thru the door for this place. Is there seating inside or is it purely takeaway!? Judging by the pics on insta they do look decent and the rosemary fries sound nice and a different.

Another new pizza place called Fireaway has opened up down London Road between HCR and the Palace Theatre.

And feedback on both would be good.

Closed, maybe because of lockdown.

Looks like the high street has lost Anne Summers as well.

Food Shack, Old Leigh.

I am very surprised the council allowed this one.

Right next door to the Billet. Can the owners make it pay all year round?

Last edited:
Food Shack, Old Leigh.

I am very surprised the council allowed this one.

Right next door to the Billet. Can the owners make it pay all year round?
This is part of the Baboush / Dining Room / Fellini's group, so I suspect they'll be OK...

I could just have easily posted this in the 'What's Making You Happy Today' thread; a new craft beer shop/bar has just opened in Leigh. Hopsters, at 20 Elm Road (opposite Irma's). They also have shops/bars in Ipswich and Chelmsford. Visited the Chelmsford one a few times before, so having seen what they have on offer I'm very excited about them coming to Leigh. Ace selection of cans and bottles and run by a thoroughly likeable and knowledgable local bloke. Should be a success.

Back