• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Chairman

CanveyCastle

Convicted Hitman
I have just received an e-mail saying Mr Fitz is past his sell by date and is handing the reins over to James Schooley.

Could James let us know a bit about himself, please.

We are all incredibly grateful to Fitz for all the hard work and commitment he's put in over the years, particularly in trying to hold Rat man to account. For anyone who didn't see Mrs Fitz' excellent article in All at Sea, last month, that gives people a flavour of the kind of things they've had to endure in that quarter.

There's no doubting he will be greatly missed as Chairman, and we hope he will stay involved, at least, for a while longer.

Communication reproduced here:

A NEW CHAPTER FOR THE SHRIMPERS TRUST

In our February note to members, I mentioned our delight that the Trust had reached the short-term target of 1906 members, since then numbers have continued to grow and we are now close to that next milestone. An opportune moment perhaps as Board minutes will be posted shortly to inform members, that After 17 years as Chairman of the Shrimpers Trust, the time has come for me to announce a change. It's a move prompted not by a dwindling of passion, but by the belief that fresh energy and ideas are essential for the continued growth and success of our Trust. It's with a mix of reflection and anticipation that I share my decision to step down as chairman.

25 years ago, I was invited to join the committee of the Southend United Supporters Club by the then Vice Chairman, Richard Coxell. I declined, making it clear that I wasn’t really into committees……he was persuasive!
Picture1
A little later, the principals of the Supporter’s Club, passionate about the rights of supporter stakeholders, turned the club into a more formal body and the Trust was born. Where we are today, is in no small part, down to the foresight of those individuals – Trevor Bashford, Richard Coxell and Derek Murr.

I still have the launch brochure – it is an interesting read.
I was the membership secretary at this time, numbers were not much more than a few hundred, although that grew quite rapidly as the Trust was created and I’m delighted to say that many of those who joined back then are still members today.

Roll forward a few years and somehow, I became chairman…on checking, I was amazed to find this was at our AGM in 2007.

After seventeen seasons at the helm, my sell by date has passed and I will be standing down this year, paving the way for fresh ideas and enthusiasm from my replacement - step forward James Schooley! James and I have been working closely together over the last year or so, and I can guarantee the Trust is in safe hands with him as Chair going forward (subject to ratification from members of course!)

I will formally stand down at this year’s AGM but we felt, once my decision had been made, that there was no practical reason why we couldn’t start transition straight away. We have already started this and it is likely that James will take on the role (in July) in an interim fashion, following his extended holiday in the US just before.
The Shrimpers Trust (all Volunteers) has achieved great things over the years - including but not limited to:
  • Away Travel (with a nod to those trips to Cardiff and Wembley!)
  • The creation and success of SUEPA
  • The rescue (twice) of the Junior Blues from the Club and its subsequent success
  • 1906+ members!
  • Our Community/Social Inclusion project
  • Support of Youth and U19’s
  • Being recorded in Hansards for the right reasons!
  • Over 300K raised for SUFC and related causes.

However, I will stand down with one major regret - when the Trust was set up, a key principle and aim was of supporter representation on the board of the football club. Despite being promised this, by a man who we know struggles with the truth, it has not been achieved.

I would love to see owners and directors (usually hand-picked money people) across the game embrace the concept of more formal supporter representation, and to see that it’s nothing to be sceptical or suspicious of. Brentford, Stevenage, Lincoln and now York have led the way recently with Golden Share issues, and hopefully the ‘Fan Advisory Board’ being suggested by the incoming owners will prove to be an excellent starting point for further development of formal supporter representation at SUFC.

I can at least take heart from the fact that the upcoming Independent Football Regulator looks likely to be a big help in that regard, it would be good to think our club could embrace that before they are forced to.
Finally, thank you to all those who have supported the Trust over the years, I really hope you’ll continue to do so. We are in a much healthier place with greater numbers and greater participation from members, than in those early days. It has been an honour to lead The Shrimpers Trust and I hope that the future is bright for all Southend fans, we deserve it.

I would like to add my appreciation for the sterling work that Paul has put into the chairmanship over the last 17 years and especially the last pivitol year when for me the Trust fulfilled all my hopes. It was always about the endgame and the influence fans would have over the changeover. The lobbying of the National league and getting Anna Firth on board were critical. These things don't just happen, they require hard and dedicated work. Thanks Paul for all the hard work. Thanks also to all the committee members over the years especially Paul Yeomanson and good wishes to James Schooley in his new role.

Paul has been brilliant and a fantastic representative of the fanbase.

James is a superb replacement and his enthusiasm and ability is one of the key reasons that the Trust has grown in size and stature in the last 18 months.

Everyone should rest assured that the Trust will continue to work for all of us with James at the helm. I think he'll do an excellent job. 💩👃

Back