• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

superblue24;2025787}[B said:
Ron should hold on to his wallet[/B]- PB has splurged too much already on individuals who have underwhelmed us for one reason or another. He needs to get the most out of the team he has acquired instead of spending more money we don't have.

The next incoming member of personnel I want to see is a "First Team Manager"

Things are serious, as we are now in a relegation battle with some tough games to play. The current squad is not doing the business. It needs new blood. It needs a lift. It needs a goal scorer and a dominant midfielder. This is the perfect time to spend money.

How long do you leave it? If it gets the the point it looks like we may end up going down, it doesn't give another manager much time to get us out of the hole Brown has got us into

End of January (3 matches), I would say 'DWB'.

Things are serious, as we are now in a relegation battle with some tough games to play. The current squad is not doing the business. It needs new blood. It needs a lift. It needs a goal scorer and a dominant midfielder. This is the perfect time to spend money.

He had his chance, he made his selections (many of them in fact) during the summer - Not one of them has worked out:

Kightly - Returned to the player he was when he was first at Southend - poor
Turner - Injury prone
Kiernan - who knows!?!?
Hendrie - Pony
Wright - Not the same player who won player of the season at Gillingham

Has PB actually brought in any players who have done the business? I suppose you could argue a case for Simon Cox and Mark Oxley, but no-one else is setting the world on fire. Why waste more money on his poor judgement? I also say now is the perfect time to spend money, but only if we bring someone else in now whilst we still have 3 weeks of the Transfer Window remaining and give him a kitty to work with and bring his own targets in.

I'd argue we also need a centre-back who can actually run....

He had his chance, he made his selections (many of them in fact) during the summer - Not one of them has worked out:

Turner - Injury prone
Kiernan - who knows!?!?
Hendrie - Pony

Has PB actually brought in any players who have done the business? I suppose you could argue a case for Simon Cox and Mark Oxley, but no-one else is setting the world on fire. Why waste more money on his poor judgement? I also say now is the perfect time to spend money, but only if we bring someone else in now whilst we still have 3 weeks of the Transfer Window remaining and give him a kitty to work with and bring his own targets in.
I don’t think many of us so have difficulty making a case for oxley who I fully expect to get player of the season

Turner - Injury prone
Kiernan - who knows!?!?
Hendrie - Pony

To be fair -

Kightly we were all delighted with and he almost single handedly kept Burton in the Championship last season
Hendrie was a very decent player when here before
No-one would have known about Wright
Turner - unlucky but he is now doing a decent job I think
Whether or not we should have signed Kiernan is debatable but again, he was great when here before and no-one would have known he would have been out that long

Ron should hold on to his wallet - PB has splurged too much already on individuals who have underwhelmed us for one reason or another. He needs to get the most out of the team he has acquired instead of spending more money we don't have.

The next incoming member of personnel I want to see is a "Groundsman to get the playing surface worthy of football
edited for personal reasons

To be fair -

Kightly we were all delighted with and he almost single handedly kept Burton in the Championship last season
Hendrie was a very decent player when here before
No-one would have known about Wright
Turner - unlucky but he is now doing a decent job I think
Whether or not we should have signed Kiernan is debatable but again, he was great when here before and no-one would have known he would have been out that long

Bottom line is that it’s down to PB to motivate these players, to set the appropriate tactics to make full use of their attributes.He is clearly failing on both counts, I must admit I had doubts about Hendrie and Kiernan, but am astonished that Kightly and Wright can be such different players season-to-season.

We need 4 players with a strong work ethic coming in, no time for passengers. Cannot see it happening though, looking at who has been mentioned previously.

Kightly made 10 starts at Burton in their last 17 games last season, making a further two appearances as a sub and missing five games altogether. Of those starts, he was subbed 9 times. Whether that was tactical or down to knocks I have no idea but it would certainly be something to put me on alert if I was considering signing him. He scored in his first three games and then once more as a sub. Somewhat over generous to say he singlehandedly kept them in the championship.

Turner - Injury prone
Kiernan - who knows!?!?
Hendrie - Pony

Gillingham didn't play him on the wing either

Turner - Injury prone
Kiernan - who knows!?!?
Hendrie - Pony

In Wright's defence he won player of the season being a CM, Brown keeps playing him out wide where he clearly isn't comfortable, the few times he has played in the centre I've been impressed with him. Now that Leonard's gone hopefully he gets a spell in his natural position when fit.

Get Bob Shaw to earn his crust, stop picking has-beens from his Premier League 2010 sticker book and actually do some scouting, go unearth some gems from the non league in and around the South, these players will be in form and hungry to succeed.

I would take a side of hungry non league and lower league players with a touch of our promising youth options, I am sick of watching negative football with players simply using Southend as one last payday

Why then?

What's the thinking behind that?

On the basis that RM is probably looking at things on a month by month basis and hoping to see an improvement, so just randomly picking a date out, I'd say he'll probably look at the end of each month and decide from there.

He has agreed to give PB time, but there'll be strings attached, including a visible upturn in results.

Maybe this is a last chance saloon .. "I'll back you, but get me results or you're out"

Well it certainly looks like no signings before tomorrow's match. So much for the signing on Monday and the 4 championship players. Why do we always drag our feet, therefore missing out on most of the best signings?

Most people on here seem to think it’s always the club dragging its feet. We ain’t exactly the club players want to join. Players who earn the same amount of money we pay eg fleetwood etc will mean players have ally extra money in their pockets after rent etc living up north. Plus most teams similar level are northern based. It’s a huge move for a player to move right down south away from family and friends. I’m sure the club are doing what they can and I reckon majority of the time it’s the players dragging there feet rather than us. Also how many of the early signings bury made for example are setting the world alight.... not many. Everyone in the summer was banging on about them getting all these early signings in yet they are bottom of the league.

On the basis that RM is probably looking at things on a month by month basis and hoping to see an improvement, so just randomly picking a date out, I'd say he'll probably look at the end of each month and decide from there.

He has agreed to give PB time, but there'll be strings attached, including a visible upturn in results.

Maybe this is a last chance saloon .. "I'll back you, but get me results or you're out"

If you're even considering a new manager it would make more sense to make that change now to let the new manager make the necessary transfers during the window instead of picking some random future date out of a hat when the new man's hands will have been tied by his predecessor (especially when such predecessor has such a bad record in the transfer market).

Even before we went on the run of 6 defeats in 7 matches we were already behind the goals RM set for this season (we were behind in the play-off race, out of FA Cup and League Cup at first hurdles), we were a team who hadn't played well since the start of the season, we had a poor goal difference, an older than average squad that had looked its age down the stretch in April last season and then just got older over the off-season with Turner and Kightly.

Saving a month of the new manager's salary is such a false economy if we're letting Brown invest in players on contracts that will outlive him. Maybe Ron will just let him get in loans.

I'm not normally a trigger happy fan - he's the only Southend manager I've called to be fired since 1999. The only argument I can think of to justify his retention is to let him eat the relegation and let the new manager start with a clean sheet in League Two.

Most people on here seem to think it’s always the club dragging its feet. We ain’t exactly the club players want to join. Players who earn the same amount of money we pay eg fleetwood etc will mean players have ally extra money in their pockets after rent etc living up north. Plus most teams similar level are northern based. It’s a huge move for a player to move right down south away from family and friends. I’m sure the club are doing what they can and I reckon majority of the time it’s the players dragging there feet rather than us. Also how many of the early signings bury made for example are setting the world alight.... not many. Everyone in the summer was banging on about them getting all these early signings in yet they are bottom of the league.

Oh that's ok then I won't worry........ at least we are not Bury. :winking:

If you're even considering a new manager it would make more sense to make that change now to let the new manager make the necessary transfers during the window instead of picking some random future date out of a hat when the new man's hands will have been tied by his predecessor (especially when such predecessor has such a bad record in the transfer market).

Even before we went on the run of 6 defeats in 7 matches we were already behind the goals RM set for this season (we were behind in the play-off race, out of FA Cup and League Cup at first hurdles), we were a team who hadn't played well since the start of the season, we had a poor goal difference, an older than average squad that had looked its age down the stretch in April last season and then just got older over the off-season with Turner and Kightly.

Saving a month of the new manager's salary is such a false economy if we're letting Brown invest in players on contracts that will outlive him. Maybe Ron will just let him get in loans.

I'm not normally a trigger happy fan - he's the only Southend manager I've called to be fired since 1999. The only argument I can think of to justify his retention is to let him eat the relegation and let the new manager start with a clean sheet in League Two.

I think you're confusing what I think maybe should happen, with what I believe RM thinks 'Yorkshire'.

Fact is, we aren't getting a new manager tomorrow and it's unlikely to be before the end of this month, so my point was how much time, do I think, will RM give PB to change results around.

We've been here before with a run of poor results and they've then taken an upturn.

For the moment, RM is looking at who is best equipped to get results over the next few matches and he's decided to back the current manager, who, regardless of what people say on here, has a good win ratio at our club.

Back