• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That's right Southampton Shrimper - say Essex FM, BBC Essex and Southend Radio wanted to send a reporter to EVERY game, home and away and commentate on the full 90 minutes. There is nothing stopping them except one thing - MONEY.

Football clubs and the Football League have realised there are big bucks to be made from exclusive rights, especially for home games.

Many commercial stations, such as Essex FM, just do not think it is profitable to have exclusive rights. Saturday afternoon or weekday evenings aren't their peak times and therefore they can't charge advertisers crazy sums to offset the fee involved with covering the local football team/s. Essex FM doesn't have a specific sports journalist/team either and that's why you hear so many inaccuracies about the Blues/Colchester during the season.

Southend Radio will obviously be a smaller station than its commercial competitor and as far as we can tell, will feature interviews and "coverage" of SUFC. Great news, but again there will be no live commentary of home or away matches, due to cost. It's also rumoured that Phillip Miller (owner of Adventure Island and Southend Radio) is not a massive football fan.

BBC Essex is - currently - the only professional station to offer live commentary on SUFC away games, and regular updates during home games. They pay a certain amount - out of the licence fee - to have exclusive DAB digital and FM commentary of the Blues/Colchester on alternate Saturdays and SOME weeknight matches (depending on cash available etc). They have a dedicated sports team and it's the only place to hear regular interviews with the management and players.

Somewhat surprisingly the only station to offer exclusive commentary of Southend's home games is Southend Hospital Radio. They have a line up of two guys who - week in, week out, have two seats in the press box and commentate on the games for their ever changing audience. They don't get enough credit, so thought I'd bring it up here. Incidentally I believe they do not pay a fee to SUFC, nor do they get paid.

Interesting what you were saying about BBC Radio Solent as well SS. I guess local BBC there feel that your area is significantly stronger (historically) in terms of clubs playing in the highest league. Southend and Colchester have never been in the Premiership and obviously do not have as big a fanbase as either the Saints or Pompey (although it's on the turn, well down here obviously!!). Therefore the local BBC station may be able to justify spending tens of thousands a year to cover the three teams live. Remember, every part of the UK-based BBC needs to justify why and how they are spending their share of the licence fee. Maybe BBC Essex has different priorities and - more importantly - a different budget.

So generally I welcome Southend Radio to the fold - be great if they have one specific sports reporter who keeps in touch with Tilly and Dave Scriven for latest news etc. Sadly though if you were wanting live commentary then I'm afraid that won't happen.

Hope that shines a bit of light.

I don't think the radio rights are quite as exclusive as the TV rights are - certainly, down here there are two stations offering commentaries on Saints games, the local BBC one and a local private one. I think there even used to be three stations doing it at one time. So I think that Southend Radio could go for live commentaries sooner rather than later, but I would imagine it's a financial thing. As a new station just starting out, they would probably not want to commit money to paying for rights when it would be far cheaper for them just to have live reports. Whether they may change their mind in the future remains to be seen.....

Yes, BBC Essex does give good coverage, but it can be beaten. Why does it give commentaries only on away games? Other BBC local radio stations have commentaries on all games. For example, BBC Radio Solent has three teams in its patch - Portsmouth, Southampton and Bournemouth - and it has live commentary from every single game played by all three clubs.

they said that tilly wants as many as poss at RH instead of at home listening to it on the radio

I seem to remember back in 2003 (may have even been the end of the 2002/2003 season) moaning to myself about the lack of home coverage. I moved to Wales September 2003, which was before Tilly became manager, so I very much doubt it's entirely down to him.

Somewhat surprisingly the only station to offer exclusive commentary of Southend's home games is Southend Hospital Radio. They have a line up of two guys who - week in, week out, have two seats in the press box and commentate on the games for their ever changing audience. They don't get enough credit, so thought I'd bring it up here. Incidentally I believe they do not pay a fee to SUFC, nor do they get paid.

Shame they couldn't pinch these guys and run the same system themselves.

Unfortunately, I think you're right. It's just not a profitable enough venture, and broadcasting the games live just wouldn't be cost effective, especially in the beginning. I think the best we can hope for is extended coverage of all things SUFC except matches.

You can't beat BBC ESSEX .
Long established ,great commentaries ,Paul Clark is different class ,great commentators apart from the hartlepool bloke that does the Col U games .
Neil Kelly, yeah he's bloody annoying. Shame Wobin Chipperfield moved on.

Mark Mac

Don't know if anyone else has been listening today - but I'm extremely impressed so far. Not only is it a lively mix of music that makes a change from the usual chart rubbish, the sport updates (which seem to be every hour/half hour focus first and foremost on the Blues with no mention of any cocker-ney rubbish at all. The DJ's have also talked about us quite a bit and mentioned that they are covering the match tomorrow and will be down at Roots Hall. The jingles even mention 'waiting for the match at Roots Hall'. So far, a big thumbs up and a great opportunity to promote the blues - they seem to be right behind us (they even just did a feature with Franno about him not shaving!)

The drivetime DJ just mentioned that 'if you are a fan of southend united - we are the station for you'. They promise daily updates and news on the blues every day - the future looks bright!

Last edited:
Would be good if they could go digital as my mum and dad cant get fm on their radio which aint a surprise for a digi radio!

Don't know if anyone else has been listening today - but I'm extremely impressed so far.
I've had it on the last couple of hours, and I've been well impressed. All very professional, hope it works out for them! I can see myself listening in most days.

(which seem to be every hour/half hour focus first and foremost on the Blues with no mention of any cocker-ney rubbish at all.
I've not heard them mention anyone else apart from SUFC or the Southend Rugby team. Fantastic stuff if it remains this way!

The DJ's have also talked about us quite a bit and mentioned that they are covering the match tomorrow and will be down at Roots Hall. The jingles even mention 'waiting for the match at Roots Hall'. So far, a big thumbs up and a great opportunity to promote the blues - they seem to be right behind us (they even just did a feature with Franno about him not shaving!)
They have done alot of mentioning us including competitions giving away a free signed blues ball. They've also repeated the fact they are down at the hall tommorow. They will be doing updates from both home & away games, every match. They are sponsoring the match. They have played Franno's interview about 6 times in the last few hours, which is great to hear! Sounds like theres such a buzz in the camp!

The drivetime DJ just mentioned that 'if you are a fan of southend united - we are the station for you'. They promise daily updates and news on the blues every day - the future looks bright!
No more BBC essex for me, hopefully!

Just emailed the show, wonder if they'll feature my email?

That's right Southampton Shrimper - say Essex FM, BBC Essex and Southend Radio wanted to send a reporter to EVERY game, home and away and commentate on the full 90 minutes. There is nothing stopping them except one thing - MONEY.

Football clubs and the Football League have realised there are big bucks to be made from exclusive rights, especially for home games.

Many commercial stations, such as Essex FM, just do not think it is profitable to have exclusive rights. Saturday afternoon or weekday evenings aren't their peak times and therefore they can't charge advertisers crazy sums to offset the fee involved with covering the local football team/s. Essex FM doesn't have a specific sports journalist/team either and that's why you hear so many inaccuracies about the Blues/Colchester during the season.

Southend Radio will obviously be a smaller station than its commercial competitor and as far as we can tell, will feature interviews and "coverage" of SUFC. Great news, but again there will be no live commentary of home or away matches, due to cost. It's also rumoured that Phillip Miller (owner of Adventure Island and Southend Radio) is not a massive football fan.

BBC Essex is - currently - the only professional station to offer live commentary on SUFC away games, and regular updates during home games. They pay a certain amount - out of the licence fee - to have exclusive DAB digital and FM commentary of the Blues/Colchester on alternate Saturdays and SOME weeknight matches (depending on cash available etc). They have a dedicated sports team and it's the only place to hear regular interviews with the management and players.

Interesting what you were saying about BBC Radio Solent as well SS. I guess local BBC there feel that your area is significantly stronger (historically) in terms of clubs playing in the highest league. Southend and Colchester have never been in the Premiership and obviously do not have as big a fanbase as either the Saints or Pompey (although it's on the turn, well down here obviously!!). Therefore the local BBC station may be able to justify spending tens of thousands a year to cover the three teams live. Remember, every part of the UK-based BBC needs to justify why and how they are spending their share of the licence fee. Maybe BBC Essex has different priorities and - more importantly - a different budget.

So generally I welcome Southend Radio to the fold - be great if they have one specific sports reporter who keeps in touch with Tilly and Dave Scriven for latest news etc. Sadly though if you were wanting live commentary then I'm afraid that won't happen.

Hope that shines a bit of light.

You lot are amazing. Well done you "guys" for the extensive informative, never cease to be surprised by the knowledge base of SZoners and the preparedness to share with others/taking the time & trouble to keep us informed.

Thinking my car radio needs retuning to store 105.1 on favourites, but will not offend "she who must be obeyed" by touching hers.

All sounds good so far guys. Great if they only talk about the Southend teams. If they keep this up and get into the club's good books, then hopefully we'll start to see more than just updates on games!

Listening to it yesterday and 4pm, the presenter annouced a message from Hugh Jardon. I really do not think he new what he was saying - I nearly drove into the car infront due to the tears of laughter!

Listening to it yesterday and 4pm, the presenter annouced a message from Hugh Jardon. I really do not think he new what he was saying - I nearly drove into the car infront due to the tears of laughter!

well.. what did he say!!

Back