• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New Stadium Effect

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
I'm just interested in whether or not we think the new stadium decision will have an affect on the team at the weekend?

Given that RM is making the whole squad attend they will be involved. Should the decision be favourable, will it inspire the team? What if it goes the wrong way?

I personally think a postive tomorrow will inspire the team, but a negative won't have any influence on them. Don't ask me to justify that opinion because I can't, it's just gut feeling.

I'd be inclined to agree but I think Tilson will try and keep them focused on the game itself, whatever happens. The players are first and foremost there to play football, although a positive decision for the stadium would surely help to inspire the team to achieve greater successes so that we can challenge for further prizes on the pitch.

I think walking out at White Hart Lane will dispel the disappointment.

I dont think anyone thinks the stadium will get the green light tomorrow anyway ? (Not being negative but a deferrement seems the likely outcome)

Even if it does get approved (which it won't) it will be called in by the Secretary of State, Ruth Kelly anyway, and it could still be rejected.

No nerves at all for me, thought Ron Martins confidence meant it was going to be agreed, but after that report last week theres not anyway it can be?

As Smiffy says even if the council agree to it they would do so against the recommendation and it would then go to the secretary of state and I can see that taking for ever to get processed.....

As Smiffy says even if the council agree to it they would do so against the recommendation and it would then go to the secretary of state and I can see that taking for ever to get processed.....

Especially when it's Ruth Kelly that's in charge of planning :eek:

I'm a little behind on things right now but......

I believe that just because the Council may go against any recommendations that have been put forward to them does not automatically mean that the plans then have to go through to the Secretary of State for ultimate approval.

I've said this all along but with everything that's at steak regarding the regeneration and development of the South East as a whole and with the London Olympics a mere 5 years away the Council will be under pressure to take the much wider picture into consideration.

Regardless of the objections and recommendations that have been made I'm still quietly confident that the Council will see the much wider implications a deferment or rejection would have and give the plans the green light.

Edited post my reading Gary Pecks artical on the Trust site...

Bugger, doesn't look good and I stand corrected on all my above pre edited comments.

Last edited:
No nerves at all for me, thought Ron Martins confidence meant it was going to be agreed, but after that report last week theres not anyway it can be?

Exactly, if it goes to Ruth Kelly it will take maybe years to get a decision out of her, just look at Brighton they still haven't been given the green light years after the local council approved their re-location to Falmer

Exactly, if it goes to Ruth Kelly it will take maybe years to get a decision out of her, just look at Brighton they still haven't been given the green light years after the local council approved their re-location to Falmer

Makes you wonder what exactly she does with her time, doesn't it? :mad:

This is all very simple.........

Stadium rejected = SUFC R.I.P.

There you go, that is it in the most simple terms possible.

Its up to the council...........they have the axe, its up to them what they do with it!!!

- Graham

Its up to the council...........they have the axe, its up to them what they do with it!!!

- Graham

I wouldn't quite go that far but we certainly need the stadium in order to move forward both on and off the field. If we don't get the stadium, it will certainly be more difficult to challenge for the Championship than otherwise.

- Graham

Alright darling, calm down! There's been talk of a new ground for 20 years, us getting the yay or nay here isn't the b-all and end-all!

Jeez.

Alright darling, calm down! There's been talk of a new ground for 20 years, us getting the yay or nay here isn't the b-all and end-all!

Jeez.

If it's an outright no vote, then it's probably back to the drawing board for the whole lot and a totally new design.

A no vote could delay the whole project for at least a year before RM can submit new plans (if he still wants to still go ahead with it).

It may well be a deferment tomorrow . The most likely chain of events to me seems that SBC ask RM to make some concessions with regard the number of shops , this allows SBC to make it look like they are looking after the High Street retailers . I expect that RM has taken this into account at the outset and will be able to make it appear as though he is the one prepared to negotiate . SBC needs the resedential units at FF and Roots hall dont forget , so as to keep up its quota of new homes linked to the Thames Gateway project. Two other points 1. Renaissance Southend is in reality a group of a dozen self-interested businessmen , but , they do have a couple of Councillors in tow !! 2. Rochford Council may say no but RM will say that he will appeal , in which case it goes to John " 2 swiss bank accounts" Presscots office , but i the costs would bankrupt Rochford Council to defend , so they will just say yes , they know s development whether it be 1 ,5 or 10 years is coming and will include a bypass . So in summary I beleive RM will get his plans passed but it may not be tomorrow as there are a few rounds of politicing to be played out , if only to make a few people feel they have been listened to .

Stadium Bid Rejected = SUFC R.I.P

Or Moved out of Southend Altogether. With the money Ron Has put in who would blame him for moving the club out of southend.

Back