• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brighton used to regularly get 15000+ back at the Goldstone Ground in the 70's/80's and 25000+ when in the top tier...
A whole generation ago... People came because the facilities were put in place obviously I do realise Brighton are a bigger club than us and we shall not have improvement on the scale they have but we will see an improvement as they have demonstrated. If this place arrived and we are playing in Championship I'd expect attendances 15k+ and the whole project would be a success.

The team are in a rich vein of form suffering only 6 defeats in the last 24 league games including PO's,yet we are averaging ATM slightly over 6000.

13000 in a 21000 seater would mean 8000 empty seats or putting it another way the entire East and West were empty at the Hall,hence why I stated 15000 capacity would be decent.

You can't plan for the future based on how things are today alone. You have to factor in reasonable ambition plus evidence of the typical impact on crowd size of new stadiums. Further, to be truly fit for the future the stadium has to suit several realistic scenarios including, if affordable, the most optimistic. Far better to underachieve your ambitions with slack capacity than overachieve but be constrained. That would either incur substantial additional cost (due to a new project to expand the stadium at a later date) or prove simply impose artificial limitations on what could be achieved.

The downside is some empty seating in the early stages - but that is a small price to pay and highlights that investment in the stadium should be just one aspect of the overall strategy.

You can't plan for the future based on how things are today alone. You have to factor in reasonable ambition plus evidence of the typical impact on crowd size of new stadiums. Further, to be truly fit for the future the stadium has to suit several realistic scenarios including, if affordable, the most optimistic. Far better to underachieve your ambitions with slack capacity than overachieve but be constrained. That would either incur substantial additional cost (due to a new project to expand the stadium at a later date) or prove simply impose artificial limitations on what could be achieved.

The downside is some empty seating in the early stages - but that is a small price to pay and highlights that investment in the stadium should be just one aspect of the overall strategy.

Very well put....

We could always do a Bradford with the season ticket prices. I agree stadiums like Coventry always look sad with vast empty seats. But if you manage it like Wembley then that looks a feels much better.

We have had 31,000 in RH and even more in Wembley. So if we think big there's no reason why we could not match clubs with smaller towns than ours, like Ipswich, Leicester, Derby etc.
Ipswich population is about the same as Southend, but Leicester and Derby are much bigger.

Then they should not listen to me!:winking:

No way.......... If anything, it always makes me chuckle debating with you.... You're entitled to your views and I respect people have there own views even if most of us disagree :Worthy:

Ipswich population is about the same as Southend, but Leicester and Derby are much bigger.

They don't have surrounding large towns like Rochford, Rayleigh, Hockley, Hadleigh within 5 miles of their ground. The greater population of the Southend area becomes over 250,000

Derby has a city pop of 248,700 and a metropolitan area of over 1.5Million. Leicester a population of 330,000 is the TENTH largest city in England Ipwich is a bigger club historicallyl and have been champions of England, FA Cup Winners and won the UEFA Cup.

So the comment "with smaller towns than ours, like Ipswich, Leicester, Derby etc. " is one of the least informed footballing comments on here ever!!!

Derby has a city pop of 248,700 and a metropolitan area of over 1.5Million. Leicester a population of 330,000 is the TENTH largest city in England Ipwich is a bigger club historicallyl and have been champions of England, FA Cup Winners and won the UEFA Cup.

So the comment "with smaller towns than ours, like Ipswich, Leicester, Derby etc. " is one of the least informed footballing comments on here ever!!!

Ok I may have made a mistake with Leicester. I was recalling a newspaper article from a year ago about the reason so much money was being pumped into Bournemouth. The backers had looked at a certain Population x travel distance to come up with a target. Under their figures Bournemouth had a potential fan base of around 430,000. I was surprised how many traditionally bigger clubs were below Southend on the list.

We were definitely above Ipswich Derby and Norwich

I do hope the consultation (!!) provides a few more answers than questions. A bit more openness wouldn't go amiss. We support SUFC...we can handle the truth !!

Ok I may have made a mistake with Leicester. I was recalling a newspaper article from a year ago about the reason so much money was being pumped into Bournemouth. The backers had looked at a certain Population x travel distance to come up with a target. Under their figures Bournemouth had a potential fan base of around 430,000. I was surprised how many traditionally bigger clubs were below Southend on the list.

We were definitely above Ipswich Derby and Norwich

Riggers wrong again,well I never:winking:

Yep as per these figures:-
1977/8 Brighton's average crowd 25,265 in Div 2
1977/8 Southend average crowd 7,287 in Div 4 (not bad actually)

You could probably maybe find one or two seasons where we may have averaged more than Brighton but I cant be bothered to look at every season!
Brighton have and always will be a bigger club than us.

If people want comparisons with towns of similar sizes then maybe compare us with Ipswich!!

Edit:- It looks like we averaged more than Brighton for a few years when they were playing at the Withdean. Had they not been restricted by the 7,000 capacity I'm not sure we would have done.

They played at gillingham for a bit too

Back