• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Don't change that signature just yet. Still unclear on income streams etc.....how if at all this benefits the club...I'm still concerned that we are just an inconvenience in the middle of a huge property deal that has been in the making for a long time now.

I feel the same. If it ever happens, I worry that we could be in a similar situation to Coventry City, just tenants in a stadium, without all these extra income streams that were promised years ago. Has anyone got an idea of what the rent will be? I assume Ron will actually charge rent and expect it paid (unlike now).
But the pessimism comes from 50 years of supporting the Blues. :winking:

Anyone have any idea how long it will take to be completed? Like a rough estimate? Should only take a year right?

Doubt it will be a year. Averley are still constructing their new ground and that has been in progress for at least 12 months. FF is obviously a much larger project, I'd guess a couple of years but I'm sure Sherif H would have a better idea than me. I'm just hoping for the muck away :smile:

^
This.

That said, Chelmsford is a good example of how a development of the High Street, particularly the Bond Street development, can help a city/town grow.

Maybe this could be the catalyst to bulldozing the Vic Circus end of the high street and developing the Pier Hill end into a far more attractive area for shoppers and the like, moving the larger retail outlets like Next and so on, down to the end where Debenhams and M&S already are and open planning the top end for parking and the like.

There's way too much dead-wood in the High Street.

Bulldozing the High Street. Can I just say, we do concrete away as well. Keep these ideas coming folks, it could put my kids through uni.

You are right about Chelmsford, it is a town/city on the way up. Unfortunately Southend doesn't seem to be a likely investment from the likes of John Lewis and other upmarket retailers. These businesses go for areas where there are plenty of high spending consumers. Unfortunately Southend is becoming the poor relation to the likes of Chelmsford. By comparison our high street looks run down and on top of it we have that irritating Spurs shop that does nothing to enhance local pride in our town and football club.

I agree entirely.

I have lived in Rayleigh since 1999 and the high street is thriving as it has shops, pubs, and restaurants that meet the needs of local residents. If we (or more likely Mrs Feathers) what a wider selection of shops we generally drive further to Chelmsford as it is far better than Southend high street.

Rather than complaining about potential competition from Fossets Farm perhaps the council and traders should look at ways of improving the high street.

Just to clarify, it will be a 3-sided stadium to start off with, then the 4th main stand will be built once funds have been released from the Roots Hall redevelopment. I've heard Weston Homes will be developing RH. So realistically the main stand might not be built until 2/3 years later.
And that's what will make our new ground look crap for 2/3 years or probably longer.
I have said it before, but I cant think of one other professional or even semi-professional club in the recent history of UK new grounds, that have never included a main stand as part of the initial build. The last club that built a new ground without a main stand was Port Vale back in the 1950's.
If we could get some sort of guarantee that it would be no longer than 2 seasons that may just be acceptable, but not having a main stand is a major issue.

The design is very different to the one that was on display at the Blues lounge 18 months ago. Looks better without the tower blocks.

Disappointed that the fit Essex bird has vanished from the illustration but can't see any ravers or flying TV's. :unsure:
Tower blocks in 2 corners, that look like part of the main stand that may or may not ever get built.
The bottom picture is probably part of the stand alone flats and not part of the stadium.

Doubt it will be a year. Averley are still constructing their new ground and that has been in progress for at least 12 months. FF is obviously a much larger project, I'd guess a couple of years but I'm sure Sherif H would have a better idea than me. I'm just hoping for the muck away :smile:

Nice work if you can get it.:smile:

Tower blocks in 2 corners, that look like part of the main stand that may or may not ever get built.
The bottom picture is probably part of the stand alone flats and not part of the stadium.

The fact that there will be good profit in the flats and a hotel means the main stand would be more likely to be built and quicker than if it was just one end, like at Oxford.

Larger pics

ncYMpK.png

8XnbWl.png

PExTcb.png

IjpStQ.png

Last edited:
And that's what will make our new ground look crap for 2/3 years or probably longer.
I have said it before, but I cant think of one other professional or even semi-professional club in the recent history of UK new grounds, that have never included a main stand as part of the initial build. The last club that built a new ground without a main stand was Port Vale back in the 1950's.
If we could get some sort of guarantee that it would be no longer than 2 seasons that may just be acceptable, but not having a main stand is a major issue.

Not sure who the "we" are that you feel the club has to give guarantee's to over it;s own business plan and development?

This is GOOD news.
Now we wait to see if it comes to fruition - we have had announcements like this over the last 32 years.

Not sure who the "we" are that you feel the club has to give guarantee's to over it;s own business plan and development?
Yep ok I get you. Ron owns Southend United and does not have to give any details away. All that he said last night was the main stand will be built as 'soon as'.
Mind you let's wait until building work actually starts on the rest of the ground before getting over excited about a main stand.

Would need to see the plans to understand the full extent of the first phase, but I'd suggest between 14-18 months.

From the way it's presented it does look like a lot of flats with a football stadium squeezed into the back yard!

Taken from the main site statement-
"Should the Council approve the submitted plans it would be the Club's intention to commence construction without delay"

Holy moley, as cynical as I am about it being built and not wanting to get my hopes up because we have seen this all before, that is one tastey sentence.....

Back