• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Nicky Nicolau

DTS

The Business
Firstly got to say I think Nicky has been a total revolation since moving to left midfield and the quality of his crosses have been second to none. His desire to play for the Blues is obvious and his work rate is 2nd to none but....

Once Gower is fit I find it hard to see where Nicky is going to play unless Bentleys knock proves to be more serious that first thought.

Cant see how anyone would ever leave out Gower who I think along with Maher is out best player. Petts seems well in with Tilson and rightly so as the bloke is a terrier and really gives the team fight. Maher picks himself for obvious reasons and so does Bentley till Smithy is fit.

Dont think Nickys defending is as good as Che's altough he is twice the player in terms of ability and potential.

So my question is where does he go from here...???

Im afraid to say that its going to have to be petts IMO. I know he runs and chases etc, but i cant see any other way, if we want to try and fit Nicky in.

PaTo

I fear droping Petts will leave us as too attacking a force with no real back bone. Also Petts hasnt missed a game so far and were 4th so bit harsh to drop him.

He stays where he is. Gower moves to the right wing which I think is his best position. Petts moves inside taking Bentley's place.

This gives us width on both wings and defensive help for Che which he needs and which,I am afraid, is something that Gower doesn't supply. Petts can continue to help whoever is playing right back.

I think that Petts' all round game is better than Bentley's and he should be preferred to him.

But by dropping Bentley you lose all the physical presence of the midfield. Nicky,Gower and Petts must be the small midfielders in the league and leaves King Kev to have to win all the ariel duels which is a tall order.

I dont think dropping Beno for that reason would pose a problem, and i admit at first thought to drop Beno was the answer. However he is a great midfielder, and one of his best attributes is that he gets beyond the strikers, and into goalscoring positions. Every team needs a player like that, and i dont see how Petts can do that, quite simply he cant, not his game. dont get me wrong though, im not saying drop Petts, i think he does a lot more defensively than is given credit for, all im saying is putting Petts inside and dropping Beno has a big fault.

In short i dont know the answer, but look at all the options we are now given, all of these are serious possiblities: (left to right)

Nicolau Maher Bentley Pettefer

Nicolau Maher Bentley Gower

Nicolau Maher Pettefer Gower

Gower Maher Bentley Pettefer (most tried and tested)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Jan. 05 2005,21:36)]But by dropping Bentley you lose all the physical presence of the midfield. Nicky,Gower and Petts must be the small midfielders in the league and leaves King Kev to have to win all the ariel duels which is a tall order.
I agree about the height and aerial presence and would be happy with either of them in the team.

However I believe that Pett's physical presence and workrate is equal to that of Bentley and where he scores in my book is his distribution, crossing ability and general control when on the ball. Weighing up the pros and cons Petts would be my first choice.

He cant cross if Beno was dropped though, as he would be playing inside, well he should not be. Ignoring our 3rd goal at Kiddie
biggrin.gif

Isn't it a pleasant change to be able to have debate over the respective merits of 2 players without there being any need to slag one of them off.

A lot depends on how serious Beno's injury is. IF his injured for the Boston game and Gower is fit then have Gower on the right and move Petts infield. But if Beno is fit and Gower is too, it would have to be Gower on the bench. Nicky has been class so far on the wing, Maher and Petts have hardly put a foot wrong all season. You can't change a winning team just to bring Gower back.

What about Gower in the middle, thats where he played most of time for barnet and he was superb for them. But that is only if Bentley's injury is serious otherwise I'd put Gower on the bench.

Alexis

I agree with BoyWonder2, Gower would have to wait for an opportunity to get back into the team should the others be fit to play. It's unfortunate that Gower got his injury, but to change a winning formula to bring him back when fit can only be done if it is tactically required. Tilson, over to you!
wink.gif

Once Bentley and Gower are fit I fully expect the midfield to go back to how it was before New Year with Gower and Pettefer on the flanks, Maher and Bentley in the middle and Nicky on the bench. He's a good option to have there though in that he can replace any one of the four first team players if needed and the whole midfield can be jigged around to accomodate him. Nice bit of fluidity.

What we would like to see is a bit of Ranieri style squad rotation!! In order to win the league, LDV and in the future Champions league we need to have a squad strong enough to replace players without change to the quality. We seem to be achieving this at the moment. Life is good at Tilson land at the moment!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blake @ Jan. 05 2005,22:22)]Isn't it a pleasant change to be able to have debate over the respective merits of 2 players without there being any need to slag one of them off.
It does indeed make a pleasant change - long may it continue.

Strength in depth - blimey, whatever is Tilly thinking? This just isn't the SUFC way and I fully expect letters in the Echo saying so!

tounge.gif

I thought that Nicky's work rate in midfield against Rushden was second to none. If he keeps that up I don't think we'd lose anything by playing him on the left instead of Petts with Gower on the right. Also, looking at the full backs we have on each side the extra defensive cover is probably needed more on the left. That's no disrespect to Che - I think he has improved dramatically but credit to Hunt, who has been very good of late.

Just had a rep come into work he is a chelsea fan but went to see the rusden game as he was in the area. He wanted to know all about Nicolau. He could not believe the player had been on the bench or out of the picture all together for most of the season. Reckoned he was a class above the rest of the players on the pitch and we would be crazy not to accomadate him in the team. Also did any-one else notice at Kiddy at the end of the match most players got a big hug from Tilson and Nicky got a very brief shake of the hand It spoke volumes for Tilsons opinion of Nicky

Back