• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Terrific team can name the players apart from the last three on the front row (L-R). I think the strawberry blonde (ginger to you and me) is Colin Morris? But the other two two are really bugging me

Front row Yates, Hadley, Gray, Cusack, Stead, Poutney if memory serves

every picture tells a story!!!
But IMO.those pictures of the South Bank,always makes it look smaller than it was..once in the South Bank...you know how "grand" it was...ps..how many of us filled it (only SB) v Liverpool??

Last edited:
every picture tells a story!!!
But IMO.those pictues of the South Bank,always makes it look smaller than it was..once in the South Bank...you know how "grand" it was...ps..how many of us filled it (only SB) v Liverpool??
The South Bank must of held10-12 thousand , perhaps Mick or BB The Legend can tell us .

If any one has an old Rothermans Year Book im pretty sure the individual stand/terrace capacities are listed in there. I've got 14k in my head - might be completely wrong its got to be over 30 years ago!

Yes,your memory does serve,PouNtney and Smith on the end,back row:-
Holmes Banks Beckett Nelson Mercer Moody Spence Cawston Otulakowski Walton.

Thanks - managed to recall all the people on the back row but just not the three on the front. What a team ��
Who cannot forget Otulakowski throw ins

The badge ive got,on my scarf from the 60s..was not on that"site"
Also remember,74? our badge was only a "shrimp"..blue shirt..could be wrong..sadly ,like many teams,we change our badge
Maybe, have a thread..sadly... our favourite badge-crest??

Yes, you was right.
southend_united_1973-1975-al.gif

The badge ive got,on my scarf from the 60s..was not on that"site"
Also remember,74? our badge was only a "shrimp"..blue shirt..could be wrong..sadly ,like many teams,we change our badge
Maybe, have a thread..sadly... our favourite badge-crest??

I remember the lone 'shrimp' badge too. I also remember the united badge (in the shape of a boot) that someone alluded to earlier. I also remember us wearing a SUFC badge in a script type font, it was on the diagonal. And of course the crest in its original and current form and of course the awful Jobson adaptation.

Were there any others?

I remember the lone 'shrimp' badge too. I also remember the united badge (in the shape of a boot) that someone alluded to earlier. I also remember us wearing a SUFC badge in a script type font, it was on the diagonal. And of course the crest in its original and current form and of course the awful Jobson adaptation.

Were there any others?

There you go.

retro-southend-united-harrington-jacket-navy-blue_1024x1024.jpg

southend_united_1976-1978-al.gif

If any one has an old Rothermans Year Book im pretty sure the individual stand/terrace capacities are listed in there. I've got 14k in my head - might be completely wrong its got to be over 30 years ago!

Remember reading somewhere it had 72 steps and held ‘over 15,000’. Looks massive in old aerial photos.

Sponsored Derek's shirt 1980/81 season, still got it.
I also have a couple of Derek's shirts from the 1980-81 season. They are from the last home and away matches of that incredible season, Torquay United away(won 3-0)Red shirt with black trim and the final league match of the season the 1-1 home draw against Rochdale. Then Derek kindly gave me his complete Northern Ireland strip(a few weeks later he wanted the shorts back???) in that same season when I travelled to Hampden Park with my good friend Russ Ralph(R.I.P) to watch the World Cup Qualifier against Scotland(1-1)Attendance 78,444. Derek came on to replace Billy Hamilton in the later part of the match.

I was privileged, thanks to Andy 'Suffolk Shrimper', to meet Derek Spence and Keith Mercer at the Bury match last season.

Both talked fondly of 1980-81. Proud of the club's achievements and humbled to be part of what was a great side that season.

Great times back then under Dave Smith. Built some friendships that still exist today, with many who travelled to the away matches. Sadly, I missed the Torquay match on that famous Saturday night. Happy days.

Respect to Russ Ralph, as well. Lovely fella, who I spent many an hour with at matches and during the cricket seasons inbetween. One of life's true gents, taken way way too soon! :sad:

The South Bank must of held10-12 thousand , perhaps Mick or BB The Legend can tell us .

According to the Rothmans Year Book of 1980-81, Roots Hall Ground Capacity 32,000(16,000 covered), although in earlier editions of the same book it has 11,000 or 14,000 as covered.

I have a couple of really old SUFC shirts which I have packed away for safe keeping one of which is an old white away shirt with just the crest. I will try and get it out and take a photo

Here's a new one for you
Crowstone Crevette[ATTACH=CONFIG said:
5055.vB[/ATTACH];2023616]I remember the lone 'shrimp' badge too. I also remember the united badge (in the shape of a boot) that someone alluded to earlier. I also remember us wearing a SUFC badge in a script type font, it was on the diagonal. And of course the crest in its original and current form and of course the awful Jobson adaptation.

Were there any others?

Back