• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Here is a picture of the Roots Hall site before the stadium was built:

dinosaurs.jpg
Was about the time the crisps were manufactured in the Groundsman Bar too! :winking:

Phil must of signed for Stockport as soon as that picture was taken , I am sure that him and Sammy McMillan played at Roots Hall that season against Southend , as for Terry Johnson all to your own .
Phil Chisnall left Southend United in September 1971 signing for Stockport County where he joined up with his former team mate and good friend Sammy McMillan. Phil played in just 30 matches for Stockport County scoring just 2 goals against Gillingham away & Northampton Town at home. Phil Chisnall & Sammy McMillan were also both in the team when Stockport County were beaten 4-2 at Roots Hall on 26th.November 1971. Southend's goals were scored by Bill Garner & Billy Best with two each. Stockport's goals were scored by Ian Lawther & Keith Webber with over 9,000 in attendance. At the end of that season both Phil Chisnall & Sammy McMillan were released and this turned out to be their final season in league football.
Strangely enough Sammy McMillan finished as Stockport County's leading goalscorer with 13 goals in 36 matches & scored a total of 30 league & cup goals in about 80 matches. Whereas when Sammy who was signed as a striker was at Roots Hall he scored just 5 league goals in over 75 matches but managed to score 6 cup goals in just 12 matches, this included a hat-trick against Brentford in a match played at Millwall's Den after a 2-2 draw at Roots Hall and a 0-0 in the replay at Griffin Park.

Phil Chisnall left Southend United in September 1971 signing for Stockport County where he joined up with his former team mate and good friend Sammy McMillan. Phil played in just 30 matches for Stockport County scoring just 2 goals against Gillingham away & Northampton Town at home. Phil Chisnall & Sammy McMillan were also both in the team when Stockport County were beaten 4-2 at Roots Hall on 26th.November 1971. Southend's goals were scored by Bill Garner & Billy Best with two each. Stockport's goals were scored by Ian Lawther & Keith Webber with over 9,000 in attendance. At the end of that season both Phil Chisnall & Sammy McMillan were released and this turned out to be their final season in league football.
Strangely enough Sammy McMillan finished as Stockport County's leading goalscorer with 13 goals in 36 matches & scored a total of 30 league & cup goals in about 80 matches. Whereas when Sammy who was signed as a striker was at Roots Hall he scored just 5 league goals in over 75 matches but managed to score 6 cup goals in just 12 matches, this included a hat-trick against Brentford in a match played at Millwall's Den after a 2-2 draw at Roots Hall and a 0-0 in the replay at Griffin Park.

All spot on.

But Sammy spent most of his time at Roots Hall as a superb number six alongside the centre half, hence the lack of goals.

One of my all time favourites.

A class player was Phil Chisnall. Believe he was the last player that transferred direct between Man Utd and Liverpool?

Just looked it up for you and Peter Silvester played for Southend between 1973-77 and Chris Guthrie was between 1972-75.

Interesting fact Ronnie, only season I recall Peter Silvester scoring regularly was 75-76, including all 4 against Brighton. Recall Stuart Parker ( never rated him personally ), being the main striker around that time?.
Maybe the sands of time have caught up with me??.

Interesting fact Ronnie, only season I recall Peter Silvester scoring regularly was 75-76, including all 4 against Brighton. Recall Stuart Parker ( never rated him personally ), being the main striker around that time?.
Maybe the sands of time have caught up with me??.

Yes Tony. According to this https://www.11v11.com/teams/southend-united/tab/players/season/1974/ and Wikiwotsit, he played between 1973-77. Wiki says he scored 32 in 81 games for us. 81 games for those seasons means he wasn't always first choice.

Peter fell out with the then manager Arthur Rowley because he used to go to America and play football during the summers .

Oh really? That would explain things a bit - I certainly remember the 4 against Brighton in one match! Thanks for all the info everyone - much appreciated.

Peter fell out with the then manager Arthur Rowley because he used to go to America and play football during the summers .

He made his debut ands scored in a 3-3 draw at Aldershot on 16 Feb 1974,having signed from Norwich for £12,000 and played the last 17 games of that season finishing with 6 goals. Remarkably for all but two of those games (Guthrie missed them) the forward line was Coulson, Brace, Guthrie, Silvester and Johnson. He finished with 6 goals.

He did like to spend the summer in America -Summer of 74 at Baltimore Comets 18 games 14 goals.

In 74/75 he only started 24 games the first on 11th September and the last on 4th March scoring 8 goals and went back to the Comets for the summer.

He was actually back for the start of the 75/76 season and played 47 games in total scoring 23 goals.

The summer of 76 he played for San Diego Jaws and Vancouver Whitecaps.

Then he played one last game for us in Division 4 at home to Bradford City on 12 November 76 where he inspired Stuart Parker to get a hat trick in 4-1 win. It seems we loaned him to Blackburn Rovers for 5 games before he left for Washington Diplomats in March 77.

This is from the programme after we signed him. I think he preferred to think he was a firstly a player in America who came back for a few games in England.

PS (2).jpg

When we pulled it back to 2-2, there was nearly a mini Ibrox disaster on the North Bank, as so many surged forward. Fortunately we were able to 'dig in' half way down & stem the flow.
Just glad the North Bank was'nt much bigger with many additional numbers behind us.
Was a great day though.

The replay was good fun as well. Remember there was a free for all when we got back to Southend Central I've never seen so many people getting off the station without a ticket.

The replay was good fun as well. Remember there was a free for all when we got back to Southend Central I've never seen so many people getting off the station without a ticket.
That was the only away game that my wife has been too , some of the Old Leigh Comm went into the QPR end The Loft , and ended up talking to some QPR top boys who were nicked at Brentford along with Southend boys a couple of seasons before It is 45 years ago tomorrow that Southend went to Brentford and won 2-1 , the Brentford police plan was to arrest as many Southend supporters as they could and stitch them up as was proved in Brentford court on the following Monday when all the police lies fell apart , one guy who was nicked was Reg Muldoon he was let off because he was a QPR supporter , work that one out .

I remember the replay well, we lost 0-2 was it? I went and was living in London at the time. Ah, memories. Nostalgia 'aint what it used to be is it?

That was the only away game that my wife has been too , some of the Old Leigh Comm went into the QPR end The Loft , and ended up talking to some QPR top boys who were nicked at Brentford along with Southend boys a couple of seasons before It is 45 years ago tomorrow that Southend went to Brentford and won 2-1 , the Brentford police plan was to arrest as many Southend supporters as they could and stitch them up as was proved in Brentford court on the following Monday when all the police lies fell apart , one guy who was nicked was Reg Muldoon he was let off because he was a QPR supporter , work that one out .

Didn't help that most of the Southend lads were dressed up in Alice Cooper make up and white coats!

Back