• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A better title would have been The Doors.The End:
"This is the end.My dearest friend"etc:'(

Ah, but I've already done that elsewhere ! :)

I did think about (Thin Lizzy's) 'Don't Believe A Word' apropos those 'BELIEVE' papers, but settled on 'The End Of The Road' as it was in keeping with the thread title and our collective 'journey' in L1. :soapbox:

Seems your brother had more luck with the results than you did Rob!!!

I once went on something like a ten year run (of 2/3)games a season back in the 80's/90's without seeing us win.:'(
This season though I've been something of a lucky charm -having seen us draw at home to Leeds back in September along with the Stockport win.I also very much wanted to see the away game at Orient In December(which was of course our last away win)but had to settle for Fulham beating Swindon in the FA Cup in January.Also saw Fulham beat Everton in September and thought about seeing their game against WHam yesterday.Roll on the fixture list for next season.:clap:

I'm interested in your report ... journey, where you stayed etc., but no pressure ...;)

I think I'll leave the serious writing in the family to you,;)squire.
Suffice it to say that we had a very enjoyable stay at the Columbia in Lancaster Gate and it was great to meet up with R and S at the Hamlet Court and then on for an Italian at Mama Mia's.
Pre-match I don't think I've ever seen fewer people at the Spread or in the Shrimpers.It's obviously been a long ,hard season.That was evident on the pitch too.Young Harry Crawford looks like a decent prospect(certainly much better than Danny Webb) though I was a bit suprised he got 90 minutes.Paterson played well when he came on too.
Our 65/6 relegation team were so much better.:stunned:Time for a new broom methinks.If not it's going to be a lot more of the same next season.:unsure:

Suffice it to say that we had a very enjoyable stay at the Columbia in Lancaster Gate and it was great to meet up with R and S at the Hamlet Court and then on for an Italian at Mama Mia's.
Pre-match I don't think I've ever seen fewer people at the Spread or in the Shrimpers.It's obviously been a long ,hard season.That was evident on the pitch too.Young Harry Crawford looks like a decent prospect(certainly much better than Danny Webb) though I was a bit suprised he got 90 minutes.Paterson played well when he came on too.
Our 65/6 relegation team were so much better.:stunned:Time for a new broom methinks.If not it's going to be a lot more of the same next season.:unsure:

Thanks, chief. Yes, I've been impressed with the little I've seen of Crawford and have felt sorry for Paterson having to do a man-sized job for which he's not fully equipped as yet. It was great to see his star-turn in providing for Macca's goal though and I think the young man could do very well in L2. I would hate to see Tilly go but am very intrigued by the identity of the 'very popular' assistant that Uncle Ron's supposed to be lining up. If it were Chris Powell, I think I might just have to have a little wiggle of my own all the way down Causewayhead. :)

Let Ron take the strain/Make it EasyJet on Yourself

This season though I've been something of a lucky charm -having seen us draw at home to Leeds back in September along with the Stockport win...Roll on the fixture list for next season.:clap:

"Calling Mr. Martin - there's this fan in Barcelona ..." :)

Thanks, chief. Yes, I've been impressed with the little I've seen of Crawford and have felt sorry for Paterson having to do a man-sized job for which he's not fully equipped as yet. It was great to see his star-turn in providing for Macca's goal though and I think the young man could do very well in L2. I would hate to see Tilly go but am very intrigued by the identity of the 'very popular' assistant that Uncle Ron's supposed to be lining up. If it were Chris Powell, I think I might just have to have a little wiggle of my own all the way down Causewayhead. :)

In speaking of a new broom I rather mispoke myself.I meant new faces on the pitch.I think it would be a disaster(but entirely possible)if Tilly left.Like you I'm curious to see who the new assistant will be.

Flying Pasta actually.

The Malverns Are English (Hereford, 25.9.10)

So there I was on a crisp sunny Saturday morning in Birmingham's Broad Street, near one of the many canals that permeate the 'second city.' I'm thinking of Kevin Rowland and the Dexy's song 'Until I Believe In My Soul,' where he talks about being "on the train from New Street to Euston and going out to Harrow again, trying to get the feeling that I had back in 1972." It was in 1972 that I first heard of Hereford United. The images of all those parkas on that muddy Edgar Street pitch in the famous FA Cup tie when they humbled Malcolm MacDonald's lofty Newcastle have stayed in my mind throughout the intervening years. Well, I'm hurrying along giving the swerve to 'Big Issue' vendors as I'm worried about getting that train from New Street out west to Hereford because it's my first fixture of the season and I just want to get there early and imbibe the feel of a match-day once again. I make it with about ten minutes to spare --- I had nothing to worry about after all, and in many ways that's the feeling that characterises the events of the day.

I don't know if you've been on the train from New Street out to Hereford, but it's a really pleasant journey even with a bog that doesn't flush. The train follows the canal out to the University, then past the allotments of Northfields en route to Longbridge, scene of some industrial disputes from those days of seventies strife. This is the day that the papers referred to 'Red Ed' Miliband but I'm thinking of a real Left-wing firebrand who they previously named 'Red Robbo' - Derek Robinson - and his exhortations to the Longbridge car workers back when politics was less cosy. In less than a few minutes though, we're trundling through some cosy countryside far away from militancy of any kind and we pull into the seemingly leafy suburb of Droitwich - Mrs S reckons you cannot say 'Droitwich' without sounding like a Brummie and she should know, 'cause she is one. The initial signs of Droitwich's leafiness though are dispelled by a smoky factory close to the station. This is like a cheek by jowel reminder of Brum's industrial past and variable economic fortunes - on the one hand there are signs of upward social mobility in its burgeoning suburbia to the south of the city but on the other, I remember that this part of the country has generally been the first to feel the pinch when the going gets tough.

Worcester is the next stop and it seems a majestic place --- with its wonderful remnants of red-bricked Victoriana coming into view before the train arrives at a lovely old station. I'm not going to get all train-spotter on you, but I felt a little pang of nostalgia for those white wooden downturned arrow slats coming from the roof of the station - it reminded me of the joys of passing through the old Stepney East station knowing that I was on my way home to our dear little town by the sea. Shortly after leaving Worcester and passing over a wide river (the Avon or the Severn, not sure which) we get our first glimpse of the magnificent Malverns in the distance. With their upturned conical peaks, I can't help thinking of Madonna in her prime and those racy outfits she used to wear in the late eighties. This part of the Worcestershire countryside is an under-stated gem. It's generally gentle, flat and expansive with scenes of ploughed fields, distant church-spires, plump cows and grazing sheep - ah, the joys of England's green and pleasant land - bordered by the Cotswolds to the south and the Malverns to the west.

It's only an hour and a half by train to Hereford, but it's been rich in views and risky in movement - I managed to navigate the swilling bog's dangerous rim with deft precision without getting my DM's wet or worse just before we got to Hereford. All present and correct, then it's over the platform to a rendezvous with quite possibly the finest pub close to a footy ground - 'The Barrels.'

(to be continued - hic)

Last edited:
Nice account.
I used to play footy at Northfields back in the early/mid Red 70's.
Also, have fond memories of attending a French cousin(-in- law)'s wedding at Worcester back in '92.

'Roll Out The Barrels' (Hereford, 25.9.10 - continued)

So there I was on a crisp sunny Saturday morning in Birmingham's Broad Street, near one of the many canals that permeate the 'second city.' I'm thinking of Kevin Rowland and the Dexy's song 'Until I Believe In My Soul,' where he talks about being "on the train from New Street to Euston and going out to Harrow again, trying to get the feeling that I had back in 1972." It was in 1972 that I first heard of Hereford United. The images of all those parkas on that muddy Edgar Street pitch in the famous FA Cup tie when they humbled Malcolm MacDonald's lofty Newcastle have stayed in my mind throughout the intervening years. Well, I'm hurrying along giving the swerve to 'Big Issue' vendors as I'm worried about getting that train from New Street out west to Hereford because it's my first fixture of the season and I just want to get there early and imbibe the feel of a match-day once again. I make it with about ten minutes to spare --- I had nothing to worry about after all, and in many ways that's the feeling that characterises the events of the day.

I don't know if you've been on the train from New Street out to Hereford, but it's a really pleasant journey even with a bog that doesn't flush. The train follows the canal out to the University, then past the allotments of Northfields en route to Longbridge, scene of some industrial disputes from those days of seventies strife. This is the day that the papers referred to 'Red Ed' Miliband but I'm thinking of a real Left-wing firebrand who they previously named 'Red Robbo' - Derek Robinson - and his exhortations to the Longbridge car workers back when politics was less cosy. In less than a few minutes though, we're trundling through some cosy countryside far away from militancy of any kind and we pull into the seemingly leafy suburb of Droitwich - Mrs S reckons you cannot say 'Droitwich' without sounding like a Brummie and she should know, 'cause she is one. The initial signs of Droitwich's leafiness though are dispelled by a smoky factory close to the station. This is like a cheek by jowel reminder of Brum's industrial past and variable economic fortunes - on the one hand there are signs of upward social mobility in its burgeoning suburbia to the south of the city but on the other, I remember that this part of the country has generally been the first to feel the pinch when the going gets tough.

Worcester is the next stop and it seems a majestic place --- with its wonderful remnants of red-bricked Victoriana coming into view before the train arrives at a lovely old station. I'm not going to get all train-spotter on you, but I felt a little pang of nostalgia for those white wooden downturned arrow slats coming from the roof of the station - it reminded me of the joys of passing through the old Stepney East station knowing that I was on my way home to our dear little town by the sea. Shortly after leaving Worcester and passing over a wide river (the Avon or the Severn, not sure which) we get our first glimpse of the magnificent Malverns in the distance. With their upturned conical peaks, I can't help thinking of Madonna in her prime and those racy outfits she used to wear in the late eighties. This part of the Worcestershire countryside is an under-stated gem. It's generally gentle, flat and expansive with scenes of ploughed fields, distant church-spires, plump cows and grazing sheep - ah, the joys of England's green and pleasant land - bordered by the Cotswolds to the south and the Malverns to the west.

It's only an hour and a half by train to Hereford, but it's been rich in views and risky in movement - I managed to navigate the swilling bog's dangerous rim with deft precision without getting my DM's wet or worse just before we got to Hereford. All present and correct, then it's over the platform to a rendezvous with quite possibly the finest pub close to a footy ground - 'The Barrels.'

(to be continued - hic)

The Barrels --- I get a Pavlovian lick of my lips when I hear these two words together. I am indebted to DoDtS for steering me towards this place via 'The Little Gazette' in March, 2009, the last time we played Hereford. It is truly a real ale drinker's paradise. It's got a great range of different beers and particularly promotes those of the Wye Valley Brewery. £2 a pint, charming bar-maids, friendly locals and a spacious smokers' cobbled courtyard surrounded by restored red-bricked outbuildings with fantastic old-fashioned paraphernalia advertising Wills' Star Cigarettes, Big Tree Burgundy (at two shillings and tuppence) and Gold Sunlight Pale Ale from Watkins & Son's Hereford Brewery. It's sunny too and I'm sat over in the corner reading my 'Trotskyite comic' (cf. Sir Rusty) taking in the clientele - mainly wizened old drinker-smokers - as I await the advent of the Blue Army. After my third foray to the bar, I see they've arrived, clustered in the back bar where the Man City-Chelsea game is being shown. 'The Big Shrimp' kindly invites me over and I meet the legendary 'Watermill Wino' and think that if I still lived in Southend, then I would surely travel on this man's bus. There is a no words said, collective stand up cue denoting that Wino's crew are on their way to the game. We roll out of The Barrels and amble off to Edgar Street in gleaming autumn sunshine, which reflects my mellow glow of lunch-time lubrication. I'm in a goodwill to all humankind kind of mood as I wish 'True Blue' a happy birthday before the game starts and munch on a hefty Hereford meat pie whilst trying to work out who's playing with Granty these days.

I rather like Southchurch Groyney's take on watching a game and his appreciation of the general ambience with goings on in the ground rather than the specific minutiae of formations and form, but the collective bemusement at Hereford's early opener served to concern me that my poor record of results watching The Blues last season was set to continue. However, our heads didn't drop and after an iffy opening spell, we clawed our way back into the game and Barry Corr rose tall to bestow a hearty blow to BarnaBlue's pronouncements on his limitations earlier this week with a well-placed headed equaliser from Blair Sturrock's well-placed cross from the right. I was very impressed with this tall Irishman's game - his hold up play, his intelligent touches and awareness of other players - and he reminded me in these respects of of Roy McDonough, though I haven't seen him drink yet. The even newer new boy, Timlin, impressed me too - his cajoling and encouraging of his team-mates belied his newness to the team and showed that he has confidence as he must surely be finding his way with his new colleagues. He certainly had no trouble finding his way to goal with his sublime free-kick in the second half, a quality strike from the midfielder which propelled us into greater dominance of this game. A special mention for Bilel Mohsni too and his rugged and ebullient defending - he looks a great find but I say this without having seen the errors that many of you have witnessed in recent weeks. I liked Simpson and Clohessy too - we look good going forward on the right - and the newest new boy, ('Ken') Jarvis, had a refreshing spikiness about him when he came on as sub. So, all in all, I needn't have worried - we looked comfortable for our win in the end. Hereford rarely threatened and I fear for the League future of this fine club with their fair-minded fans and benign bonhomie.

I would so like to see points awarded to clubs with grounds still in the heart of their community and where you can have a great day out and not have to watch your back. Within my meritocracy of decency, the pies and the ales would have a stake too - so that if I were the 'Red Robbo' dictator of my football universe, I would ensure that the Football League is turned upside down, where it would be a case of The Bulls up this season and with us playing them every year.

Last edited:
The Barrels --- I get a Pavlovian lick of my lips when I hear these two words together. I am indebted to DoDtS for steering me towards this place via 'The Little Gazette' in March, 2009, the last time we played Hereford. It is truly a real ale drinker's paradise. It's got a great range of different beers and particularly promotes those of the Wye Valley Brewery. £2 a pint, charming bar-maids, friendly locals and a spacious smokers' cobbled courtyard surrounded by restored red-bricked outbuildings with fantastic old-fashioned paraphernalia advertising Wills' Star Cigarettes, Big Tree Burgundy (at two shillings and tuppence) and Gold Sunlight Pale Ale from Watkins & Son's Hereford Brewery. It's sunny too and I'm sat over in the corner reading my 'Trotskyite comic' (cf. Sir Rusty) taking in the clientele - mainly wizened old drinker-smokers - as I await the advent of the Blue Army. After my third foray to the bar, I see they've arrived, clustered in the back bar where the Man City-Chelsea game is being shown. 'The Big Shrimp' kindly invites me over and I meet the legendary 'Watermill Wino' and think that if I still lived in Southend, then I would surely travel on this man's bus. There is a no words said, collective stand up cue denoting that Wino's crew are on their way to the game. We roll out of The Barrels and amble off to Edgar Street in gleaming autumn sunshine, which reflects my mellow glow of lunch-time lubrication. I'm in a goodwill to all humankind kind of mood as I wish 'True Blue' a happy birthday before the game starts and munch on a hefty Hereford meat pie whilst trying to work out who's playing with Granty these days.

I rather like Southchurch Groyney's take on watching a game and his appreciation of the general ambience with goings on in the ground rather than the specific minutiae of formations and form, but the collective bemusement at Hereford's early opener served to concern me that my poor record of results watching The Blues last season was set to continue. However, our heads didn't drop and after an iffy opening spell, we clawed our way back into the game and Barry Corr rose tall to bestow a hearty blow to BarnaBlue's pronouncements on his limitations earlier this week with a well-placed headed equaliser from Blair Sturrock's well-placed cross from the right. I was very impressed with this tall Irishman's game - his hold up play, his intelligent touches and awareness of other players - and he reminded me in these respects of of Roy McDonough, though I haven't seen him drink yet. The even newer new boy, Timlin, impressed me too - his cajoling and encouraging of his team-mates belied his newness to the team and showed that he has confidence as he must surely be finding his way with his new colleagues. He certainly had no trouble finding his way to goal with his sublime free-kick in the second half, a quality strike from the midfielder which propelled us into greater dominance of this game. A special mention for Bilel Mohsni too and his rugged and ebullient defending - he looks a great find but I say this without having seen the errors that many of you have witnessed in recent weeks. I liked Simpson and Clohessy too - we look good going forward on the right - and the newest new boy, ('Ken') Jarvis, had a refreshing spikiness about him when he came on as sub. So, all in all, I needn't have worried - we looked comfortable for our win in the end. Hereford rarely threatened and I fear for the League future of this fine club with their fair-minded fans and benign bonhomie.

I would so like to see points awarded to clubs with grounds still in the heart of their community and where you can have a great day out and not have to watch your back. Within my meritocracy of decency, the pies and the ales would have a stake too - so that if I were the 'Red Robbo' dictator of my football universe, I would ensure that the Football League is turned upside down, where it would be a case of The Bulls up this season and with us playing them every year.

Agree that Corr scored a fine goal and his run into the box was perfectly timed.
Timlin played pretty well against Morecambe too with a fine freekick which eventually led to our second goal by....................Corr.
How many more will Corr score-that's the question?
(see you've answered this question on another thread.Think your comparison with Roy Mac.is(potentially)a good one.Though as you say he'll need a Crowny type player alongside him.

Last edited:
Agree that Corr scored a fine goal and his run into the box was perfectly timed.
Timlin played pretty well against Morecambe too with a fine freekick which eventually led to our second goal by....................Corr.
How many more will Corr score-that's the question?
(see you've answered this question on another thread.Think your comparison with Roy Mac.is(potentially)a good one.Though as you say he'll need a Crowny type player alongside him.

We'd be very lucky to find one! See you finally got a taker for your Corr (blimey) bet! :smile:

Good posts Rob, I can't say I've done Hereford by train from New Street, but I have done Shrewsbury and that's a scenic journey also. There you are mate another chance to kake Mrs S to the bosom of the family while you bugger off and watch the mighty Shrimpers. :thumbsup:

Back