• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

On this day........

secondalibi

Coach
Oh the memories.......

Away in the FA Cup to Everton, lost 1-0 and did ourselves proud. I will never forget that bloody save that Neville Southall made to keep out Ian Benjamin in the second half, poor old Benji wheeled away in celebration only for Nev to pull off a ridiculous save. I think we had 4,000+ fans there on the day, I really can't believe how fast the time goes.

- Graham

My mate worked for NEC (Evertons sponsors at the time) and gave me tickets for the directors box...sat directly behind Dave Webb.......who gave me the evil eye when I shouted "Beardso you useless blue nose tw&t" after a poor attempt on goal

Such eloquence should only be admired!

Shame Webby didn't think so
tounge.gif

Remember it well. Asked a copper to arrest someone with a trumpet who insisted on blasting the sodding thing in my ear. 'Stick a scraf in it' was the reply. Blinding idea officer and it worked.
biggrin.gif

Quality day 52 coaches went up there that day.

We made loads of noise, much more than at Spurs this season.  Infact the Ref said it was the best atmosphere he had ever heard from away fans.  (The comments from the ref were actually heard on Radio 5 about 2 years after the game I can't remember why he was being interviewed or why the Everton game came up in conversation).

Anyone remember the chap that ran on the pitch just before kick-off, he didn't get to see the game
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Up the Shrimps @ Jan. 04 2007,21:02)]Anyone remember the chap that ran on the pitch just before kick-off, he didn't get to see the game
laugh.gif
Yes! If I remember rightly he presented, or tried to present, Tilly with a balloon only to be led away by a couple of officers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gremlin @ Jan. 04 2007,22:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Up the Shrimps @ Jan. 04 2007,21:02)]Anyone remember the chap that ran on the pitch just before kick-off, he didn't get to see the game
laugh.gif
Yes!  If I remember rightly he presented, or tried to present, Tilly with a balloon only to be led away by a couple of officers.
Was one of my Pals on one of the unofficial coaches from Wickford he knew Tilly n family really well cos he did work on the fruit n veg stall on  the Market... he said he was going to run on the pitch in the Pub b4 the game.. No one believed him though... funny enough soon after the Everton Cup game he disappeared and no one has seen him for years!!

Going back to the game probably for me the Everton game was the noised away game I’ve ever known Southend Fans to be...

DAVID WEBBS BLUE ARMY went on for about 20 mins none stop!!

One Team In Essex
SOUTHEND UNITED FC

I remember two things about the game. The first is the number of balloons. I was standing behind the goal (from 1.30!) and saw a torrent of blue balloons falling from the seats to the pitch. It went on for about 5 minutes. There were thousands of them.

The other thing I remember was being in the ground so early that we watched the Everton players walk around the perimeter of the pitch to get to the changing rooms. There was only a handful of us in the ground at the time and they walked right in front of us. Tony Cottee with his wife, and then Peter Beardsley. My friend shouted "Alright Peter...", and Peter turned and waived at him, whilst my friend continued "....you c**t!" I was so embarrassed I wanted the ground to swallow me up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Up the Shrimps @ Jan. 04 2007,21:02)]We made loads of noise, much more than at Spurs this season.  Infact the Ref said it was the best atmosphere he had ever heard from away fans.  (The comments from the ref were actually heard on Radio 5 about 2 years after the game I can't remember why he was being interviewed or why the Everton game came up in conversation).
Agree with that. Imagine if we had scored!

Went with the old man by train but remember coach after coach arriving outside Goodison....Great time to be a Blue.
smile.gif

Back