• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Open Letter To BBC ESSEX

Exactly! They carry all the Essex CCC matches home and away in all competitions on the web, plus ODI games on MW. And to be honest, what is the interest there? I would think they have less than 1000 listeners for a County Championship commentary on the web.
But perhaps Essex CCC & the ECB don't charge them an arm and a leg for the rights & look on the broadcast as a way of spreading the word about their game.

Whereas the Football League have convinced themselves that they need to make money out of every avenue possible, so they don't mind many fewer people paying more lots more money.

I'd hazard a guess that BBC Essex probably end up shelling out anything up to an average of £1000 to cover each game, as I seriously can't see the FL charging them less than say £25-30k for covering the season, maybe even more. Add on all the other costs & it could easily cost £40-50k for a full season, which is a lot of dosh. That is only an uneducated guess.

Thats it! I'll be removing the preset in the car as soon as I leave work!
Any chance that Southend Radio could step in wearing shining armour?

Have sent my email off, has anyone actually been on to the Col U forums to make sure they are aware? I really feel both clubs' fans should be on the same side here and lambast BBC Essex for their poor decision making. I find it very strange, there are probably loads of elderly people who rely on this service for their football fixes, and what about those in hospital?

Have sent my email off, has anyone actually been on to the Col U forums to make sure they are aware? I really feel both clubs' fans should be on the same side here and lambast BBC Essex for their poor decision making. I find it very strange, there are probably loads of elderly people who rely on this service for their football fixes, and what about those in hospital?

yes someone has mentioned it on the Notice board at Colchester Cattle Market ....

The following is the response I received to the email I sent to BBC Essex

Thank you for your e mail regarding BBC Essex football commentary.

The decision to change the format of the Saturday afternoon programme has been taken by the Editor of BBC Essex in conjunction with the BBC's regional head of programmes and other interested parties within the BBC.

We will continue to offer live commentary as part of the Saturday programme, but not for every match, and we will also offer second half commentary where appropriate.

We believe we're offering the most locally comprehensive sports coverage anywhere on the radio but once you've had a chance to listen on Saturday afternoons you'll be able to draw your own conclusions. We welcome any feedback you have, so feel free to get in touch once the show is back on air.

Thank You for taking the time to contact us.

It will only be locally comprehensive if they start covering matches in full.

This is basically just a load of old hogwash :darkcloud:

Strongly worded email sent.

I agree, both groups of fans should be working together on this.

The following is the response I received to the email I sent to BBC Essex

Thank you for your e mail regarding BBC Essex football commentary.

The decision to change the format of the Saturday afternoon programme has been taken by the Editor of BBC Essex in conjunction with the BBC's regional head of programmes and other interested parties within the BBC.

We will continue to offer live commentary as part of the Saturday programme, but not for every match, and we will also offer second half commentary where appropriate.

We believe we're offering the most locally comprehensive sports coverage anywhere on the radio but once you've had a chance to listen on Saturday afternoons you'll be able to draw your own conclusions. We welcome any feedback you have, so feel free to get in touch once the show is back on air.

Thank You for taking the time to contact us.

Is it still that prat Glenn Speller who is editor of BBC Essex Sport?

Is it still that prat Glenn Speller who is editor of BBC Essex Sport?

Glenn is the Sport Editor, and despite being a Col Ewe fan, he's actually a top bloke. Think calling him a prat is a little harsh. In Paul's response from BBC Essex it states it was the Editor of BBC Essex's decision rather than the Sports Editor.

Glenn is the Sport Editor, and despite being a Col Ewe fan, he's actually a top bloke. Think calling him a prat is a little harsh. In Paul's response from BBC Essex it states it was the Editor of BBC Essex's decision rather than the Sports Editor.

I always wondered why he never read out my emails on match days slagging and laughing at the farmhand’s .lol

Only just ever so slightly obviouis he's a Col Ewe fan! On that basis alone I think prat is fair.

I see it's the Editor's choice - so he/she's a prat too.

Locally Comprehensive my arse. So comprehensive while they alternated us & Col Ewe away games on one frequency they broadcast Wet Shambles on another. They're not essex.

If they want to cover more non-league etc in a magzine type show by all means do so, but use a second frequency for live commentary for the away games of Blues & Col Ewe.

Dave, he is a Colchester fan

Colchester Fan = Prat

Hope that clears things up

Back