• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Our away strip...

Mr Gilbo

Manager
Why do we have a light blue away strip?!

Or the times we wear it we could have just worn out home strip. So ofcourse we have to have a 3rd strip. The red one.

I have no problem with the 3 strips. It's just the decision to have a dark blue and a light blue strip! The white one should have stayed!

Personally I'd like to see the yellow strip back! Even though some believe it just reminds people of the Jobson era.

I've read on here something about the yellow kit before though, about how we have to pay a certain percentage of revenue over to Jobson's estate if we sell a yellow kit. I don't know how true that is though.

I just wish we'd settle on one colour for our away kit. I quite like white, personally, and really liked last season's away shirt. All they needed was to have the numbers be a colour other than silver so that we could actually see them.

Most sides have three kits so that's not a problem but I always thought having a light blue kit with dark blue sleeves was rather stupid even though it's a nice looking kit. More often than not we have to wear the red.

Haven't heard about having to pay Vic's estate money for a yellow kit, though it would surprise me if it were true.

Last edited:
Why have a third kit?
Navy at home, sky blue away. Unless we get to play Wycombe, of course.

I don't see hoe Jobson's estate can have any claim on the colour of our away kit, especially as yellow was the established colour of our away strip in the late seventires, well before he was involved in the club. Although at roots Hall stranger things have been known to be true before.

lets have four kits i quite like the white, the sky blue ,the red and of course our one and only home kit, but please tell tilly you use his subs more wisely not in the last 10 mins

I don't see hoe Jobson's estate can have any claim on the colour of our away kit, especially as yellow was the established colour of our away strip in the late seventires, well before he was involved in the club. Although at roots Hall stranger things have been known to be true before.

I remember our away kit in the late seventies being all white. I even remember one of the players coming to do a talk to my infants school and showing us his white away kit. I could only have been about 5 or 6 at the time, and don't remember who it was, but that would have made it about 1976-1977.

After that we moved onto orange, when we were sponsored by Access.

Why have a third kit?
Navy at home, sky blue away. Unless we get to play Wycombe, of course.

I'm pretty sure it's to satisfy some league (or FA) rule where we've got a definitive change of colour. In 04/05 when we had navy home & sky blue away they had to scramble around and get the red/white kit sorted out. I'm guessing the red one was kept from last season to comply to this.

Personally, I was unsure about the sky/navy combination when I saw it but I really like the shirt & think it looks good on the pitch! One of our nicest kits in years, although it might look better with white shorts/socks!

If we do have to pay Jobbo's estate a percentage of profits for any yellow kit, then I think that's shocking. Noticed on BLW2 last night, Chester are playing in the kit a lot of people wanted us to have as this years away (same shirt as the sky/navy combo but yellow/royal blue!)

Why not do what Plymouth do? Turn up in your home kit and make your hosts play in their change strip.

Easy.

True, Norwich have done that to us too (we had to wear all-red at home in 1996/97 as their yellow shirt clashed with the custard-splat kit!)

Think they don't have that issue this year though. Last year's black change-strip is no more! This year's is yellow/dark green.

Lets face it away kits are a marketing licence to football clubs, we can waffle on about traditional away colours but even Arsenal that pride themselves on tradition have ditched there yellow shirt and blue shorts now for white shirts & Moroon shorts. I have always thought of Southend as Blue & White, I hated it when in the 80's we started bringing yellow into our club colours. For me I liked last years white away shirt, it was clean and sharp, the red one just gave me the feeling that someone would look at me and think Man Utd fan with paying attention to the badge

Why do we have a light blue away strip?!

Or the times we wear it we could have just worn out home strip. So ofcourse we have to have a 3rd strip. The red one.

I have no problem with the 3 strips. It's just the decision to have a dark blue and a light blue strip! The white one should have stayed!

Personally I'd like to see the yellow strip back! Even though some believe it just reminds people of the Jobson era.

In the summer when I was in the clubshop asking about the away kit before it came out, I asked if it was going to be yellow. The bloke behind the counter said "that'll never while Rons in charge".....so dont get your hopes up for a yellow away kit anytime soon!

Why not do what Plymouth do? Turn up in your home kit and make your hosts play in their change strip.

Easy.

If i remember rightly, didnt we turn up somewhere years ago with only our home kit and had to play in their away kit as they wouldnt change? Cant remember who it was (and it was quite a few years back!).

Back