• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Parliamentary Petition to allow fans back into grounds

I am really enjoying the Saturday afternoon iFollow ritual.

Me too. It's no-where near as good as live, but at least this way all four of us (i.e. including my wife) will sit and watch together. It's actually quite nice...a few wins would make it even better.

The people who know what their talking about have suggested the weak cows stay in the barn whilst the the healthy cows, especially those under 60, all go out in the field.

The longer you hide them all away the more the risk increases.

You should try listening to them, as they explain better than me.

It's interesting (not to say significant IMO) that no government anywhere in the world (as far as I'm aware) has yet published the expert advice on which they base their decision making.Until someone is prepared to try this they won't get full buy in from Joe public.Not suprisingly.

Just received an email regarding the petition which says this:

Parliament is going to debate the petition you signed – “Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels”.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/552036

The debate is scheduled for 9 November 2020.

Once the debate has happened, we’ll email you a video and transcript.

Parliament is going to debate the petition you signed – “Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels”.

If you go on parliament website there is a link to parliament tv which should allow you to watch debate live. Worth checking out nearer the time.

When swathes of the country are being locked down there is no way the government are going to allow fans back into stadia.

We will be be back to queueing outside supermarkets in a week or two.

When swathes of the country are being locked down there is no way the government are going to allow fans back into stadia.

Which makes it even worse when you watch this video where at 1:15 into it they start standing up and chanting at the top of their lungs in a packed london paladium. Clown society

Locked down voluntarily at the request of the local council when we haven't me the requirements for tier 2?

Which makes it even worse when you watch this video where at 1:15 into it they start standing up and chanting at the top of their lungs in a packed london paladium. Clown society

Are you telling me that if you were at a prestigious launch for Kevin Bond's new book you would be able to resist standing in unison to chant Bond Out

Essex county council have denied this.
Yes I saw that but also wonder how the additional £1bn, Boris promised, will be spread round the country. Maybe I am just too cynical to think, the higher the tier the higher the funding.

Don't get your hopes up. I imagine the government gets lots of these petitions every week. It will probably be 'debated' for two minutes then thrown out. We won't be back in stadiums or doing anything 'normal' again until we've been vaccinated.

Don't get your hopes up. I imagine the government gets lots of these petitions every week. It will probably be 'debated' for two minutes then thrown out. We won't be back in stadiums or doing anything 'normal' again until we've been vaccinated.
I've signed too many of these things to have my hopes set at anything other than zero. I think we all know what the outcome will be, but at least some part of democracy works even if the end product is missing.

Not full capacity immediately, no, do it in a staged way like they're doing in Germany and as was the plan here originally.
Looks like crowds in Germany are to be restricted again, with some clubs going back to behind closed doors. Berlin are allowing only 5,000 at next home game and fans will be asked not to chant.

This was the response from the Gov't:

We will take the earliest opportunity to look again at getting spectators safely back into stadia but this must clearly be done carefully against the prevailing health conditions.
Football clubs form the bedrock of our communities and play a vital role in the local economy. Their importance has been clearly demonstrated throughout the pandemic with clubs at all levels providing incredible support to their area.

That is why the Government is committed to supporting sports clubs up and down the country, with many football clubs benefitting from the Government’s unprecedented financial support to businesses.

The Government is fully aware of the importance of getting spectators back into stadia for many sports, and the financial consequences of the decision not to allow this from 1 October. The evidence received from the Chief Medical Officer was very clear that at a time of rapidly rising infections, and when the Government was considering restrictions elsewhere, it was not the right time to undertake any further easements.

We will continue to work closely with a whole range of sports to understand the latest thinking that might allow spectators to return. This includes the creation of a new Sports Technology Innovation Working Group of sporting bodies and health experts to analyse new technologies which might support this. This will supplement the draft government guidance, and the SGSA supplementary guidance to their Green Guide, which has been internationally welcomed.

We are committed to getting spectators back into stadia as soon as it is safe to do so.

Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport

I haven't signed. I believe the Club will make the ground as Co-vid secure as possible. However, they will have liittle or no control outside of the ground. In the light of the rapidly rising number of cases, now is not the right time for me to even think about returning to football.
Just this.
Others made the comparison between cinema and attending football matches.
Apart from providing entertainment (although I'm not so sure right now with Blues!) I see little to compare.
A cinema showing generally means someone sitting in a socially-distanced seat and leaving at the end. How may people max would that entail under current restrictions? 100?
If Roots Hall allowed 3,000, the chances of Covid catching escalate by a percentage off the scale.
That, and as Thundersley points out, arriving and leaving RH?
What would be the point of socially distanced seating in the first place?
A hundred yards from the ground in Victoria Avenue at the junction of East and West St and with the lights against pedestrians, how many people with face masks off would a fan encounter?

Am I right in saying that that reads as they are not actually going to debate it?

Am I right in saying that that reads as they are not actually going to debate it?
I have just re-read the email and it looks as if the statement is the Government's position. A committee of 12 MPs from all parties decides on the debate. So I think it is yet to come. Clear as mud, although the outcome is clear already!

The surrounding areas are the bigger issue than in the ground itself. I've started to get people turning up to watch my Sunday league side now so I know just how desperate people must be....

Re cinemas I went the other week and they've a new air filtration system that completely purifies the air every fifteen minutes, beggars can't be choosers but it wasn't that quiet and made for an incredibly cold room too....

Back