• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Paul Benson

leeblue

Members⭐
Had a good chat with him on friday, congratulated him on last season etc etc then got down to the nitty gritty, asked him about the southend rumors and he said no interest from us at all. I asked about Macdonald and he said we got a good goalscorer, provided he gets good service he will score, also commented on the fact he was a nice bloke.

He done very well for himself no doubt I delighted he got a chance to make it, but you never know it may not have worked out for him at roots hall. would have liked to see him and freddy play together

Daggers want stupid money for him. We had him on trial, We didn't think he was good enough for the level of Football we're playing at and i trust Tilson's judgement on the matter.

He was Luton bound in January but the deal fell through for some reason, recon they might still be in the running for him. To be honest from reports from a mate who follows conference football. Macdonald is the better player, not saying Benson is not a good player but Macdonald seems to have more skill than Benson. That is just what my friend says.

We Should Have Signed Him When We Had A Chance

It's easy to say that but would he have developed into the goalscorer he was last season if he'd been stuck on the bench for us all the time?
Like Kightly, I reckon he needed the spell in the conference to develop.

Again, aren't people reinventing history here? I thought it was the case that Tilly invited Benson for further trials but Benson himself chose not to come. So it's wrong to suggest that Tilly didn't rate him.

Again, aren't people reinventing history here? I thought it was the case that Tilly invited Benson for further trials but Benson himself chose not to come. So it's wrong to suggest that Tilly didn't rate him.

You're quite correct there, I believe. We offered him further trials but Dagenham took a leap of faith and offered him a contract, which he took for the guarantee of first-team football. In his first season there he was a bit pants, apparently (although he did break his leg mid season)

but does anyone actually think benson is any good?

ive seen him on the tele and didnt see anything special at all in him - maybe a good goal scorer - but as a footballer and an athelete he looked a lot off the pace....am i wrong?

ive seen him on the tele and didnt see anything special at all in him - maybe a good goal scorer - but as a footballer and an athelete he looked a lot off the pace....am i wrong?

Well bearing in mind none of our strikers other than Freddy can score Id happily take a poor athlete/non-footballer who can put the ball in the back of the net regularly.

You're quite correct there, I believe. We offered him further trials but Dagenham took a leap of faith and offered him a contract, which he took for the guarantee of first-team football. In his first season there he was a bit pants, apparently (although he did break his leg mid season)

I thought Tilly told him to go away and get some experience, beef up etc. then we'd take another look at him in a year or so.

But I could be wrong

your wrong, did anyone else see the wonder (fluke) goal he scored from the corner flag, any benson's past it, southend should of taken a gamble on him 10 years ago

I think it was a case of Tilson sees Benson & Hedges his bets.

As a consequence our chances of signing him now are up in smoke.

I think it was a case of Tilson sees Benson & Hedges his bets.

As a consequence our chances of signing him now are up in smoke.

Not only that, but I understand his contract still has a few years to run, and that Dagenham and Redbridge, rather than let him speak to other clubs and move on, Woodbine him to his contract.

Last edited:
Not only that, but I understand his contract still has a few years to run, and that Dagenham and Redbridge, rather than let him speak to other clubs and move on Woodbine him to his contract.

It's always the same with these puns - a couple of Lucky Strikes and it's all Dunhill from there...

He apparently started off as a No 6 but like some Players he worked on the Weights abit, gave up his part time job at the Embassy where he was apparently one of the Guards Ditched his Girlfriend who was of Royal Decent ( her mum being the Sovereign) and has never looked back ...

I'm Sure Rich Cadet could add more to this ..

He apperently started off as a No 6 but like some Players he worked on the Weights abit, gave up his part time job at the Embassy where he was apparently one of the Guards Ditched his Girlfriend who was of Royal Decent ( her mum being the Sovereign) and has never looked back ...

I'm Sure Rich Cadet could add more to this ..

That's just the straw that broke the Camel's back...

Back