• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Well, as I have said many times the last few seasons, the striker training has been woeful, so maybe now is the time to bring in a proper striker coach. The defensive coaching has been excellent, as you would expect with Brown and Coughlan.

I agree with this, I have been saying the same for ages!

Well, as I have said many times the last few seasons, the striker training has been woeful, so maybe now is the time to bring in a proper striker coach. The defensive coaching has been excellent, as you would expect with Brown and Coughlan.
Show our strikers the picture of King Billy Best after he had just scored against Doncaster March 72 , so they can see how the Southend Supporters love a goalscorer .:smile:

That is disappointing news about Dave Penney, but obviously great news for Graham Coughlin.

The funny thing is that I always half imagined that Penney might succeed Phil Brown if Brown moved on at some point, but that looks most unlikely now.

It did not really work out for Penney at Darlington or Bristol Rovers, but I still think he will do well if he is given another chance to manage a club again. His record at Doncaster was superb and he is clearly a shrewd observer of the game.

That is disappointing news about Dave Penney, but obviously great news for Graham Coughlin.

The funny thing is that I always half imagined that Penney might succeed Phil Brown if Brown moved on at some point, but that looks most unlikely now.

It did not really work out for Penney at Darlington or Bristol Rovers, but I still think he will do well if he is given another chance to manage a club again. His record at Doncaster was superb and he is clearly a shrewd observer of the game.

I'd imagine so did Penney, which is why he's now moving on.

Penney looking at a sentence for hitting a copper, probably a reason for wanting to go back up north. Coughlan as number 2 Barrett as number 3!

"Assault" on a police officer can be as minor as grabbing an arm. Haven't seen any suggestion that he hit anyone.

So Penney applied for a few managerial roles during last season as well, wonder if this news that Penney would be leaving has been known about for a long time and only just coming out now, regardless of post play-off behaviour.

Graham Coughlan offered assistant manager job at Southend United

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown has revealed Graham Coughlan has been offered the chance to become his new right hand man following the departure of Dave Penney.

More...

Coughlan - nice chap, good family man and as far as I know he is well liked by the players - although I very much doubt being likable is part of the job description. Having the respect of the players is more important of course.

He is a defender by trade but I am someone that believes you should start with a good defence and build from there.

Good luck with the job in Division 3. :thumbsup:

So Penney applied for a few managerial roles during last season as well, wonder if this news that Penney would be leaving has been known about for a long time and only just coming out now, regardless of post play-off behaviour.
This could be great for us if Penney gets a managers role, we can loan Jason Williams out to him :net:

You should read what the Oldham fans thought of him....surprised he got another job!

You should read what the Oldham fans thought of him....surprised he got another job!

The same would go for Peter Taylor based on his performance when he was our manager ......... and he seems to be able to get job after job after job ..............

You can't really go by what a manager/coach did in the past. Look where Tilson's next job is!

Back