• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

People you hated but now admire

C C Csiders

Life President
On the journey to spiritual enlightenment (via the
Responding to a post in another thread it dawned on me that I used to really hate Roy Keane, but now find him admirable.

Others I used to dislike, but now like, albeit grudgingly in some cases are:

Michael Portillo
Shane Warne (along with Rolf Harris the only Australian I can bestow such an 'honour' on)
George Galloway

Any contributions?

I think I admire Jamie Oliver for what he has tried to do all be it not very well....At least he has tried to make a difference. I used to think he was a prize mockney tool.

Spot on with Keane, Portillo and Warne, but I still think Galloway is a prize tool.

Mark Lamarr - thought he was a **** when he was on The Word, but only later did I realise that he was the only vaguely amusing one there.

:D

Spot on with Keane, Portillo and Warne, but I still think Galloway is a prize tool.

Mark Lamarr - thought he was a **** when he was on The Word, but only later did I realise that he was the only vaguely amusing one there.

With you on the first line Matt. Now Portillo is on that show with Diane Abbot and Andrew Neil, he comes across really well.

As for Lamarr, I used to like him on Buzzcocks but as the series went on I really started to dislike him. He just became so negative, slagging off everyone who wasn't Jimmy Cliff.

Can't ever see myself coming round to liking Janet Street Porter by the way.

Gary Neville.

For refusing to play ball with a scouse copper on Merked and insisting that he'd rather have the points on his licence than pose for a picture.

Tim Henman.

Hated him until my brother told me he was a smoker and for some reason I quite like him now.

The image on Tim sparking up a Benny Henny on the practice courts at Wimbledon is quite appealing.

Last edited:

I admire what Roy Keane has done with Sunderland, it is very impressive, but I think it will take a long time to convince me that he has changed enough for me to like him. Having said that, I felt much the same about Mark Hughes and he has gone through a pretty Damascan change and I now do like him, so there is hope for Keane yet :p .

As for Galloway, how on earth has he convinced you that he is a nice guy, C C Csiders? He is a total crook IMHO and I will never forget him ******* up to Saddam Hussein over the years, just a self interested, opportunistic, silver tounged con-man. :mad: :mad:

I admire what Roy Keane has done with Sunderland, it is very impressive, but I think it will take a long time to convince me that he has changed enough for me to like him. Having said that, I felt much the same about Mark Hughes and he has gone through a pretty Damascan change and I now do like him, so there is hope for Keane yet :p .

As for Galloway, how on earth has he convinced you that he is a nice guy, C C Csiders? He is a total crook IMHO and I will never forget him ******* up to Saddam Hussein over the years, just a self interested, opportunistic, silver tounged con-man. :mad: :mad:

Not a nice guy, but I admired the way he took it to the Americans at that Senate inquiry.

Not agreeing with Galloway, obviously, but if just one single politician showed his passion and his skill, we might respect them a bit more.

As for his crookedness, many newspapers have failed to prove this at great cost to themselves.

My personal favourite was the Daily Telegraph and the papers they 'found'.

"Where did we find them? Erm...I chanced upon a burning building in the middle of a burning city and there was a burning box and in that burning box was a pile of charred paper and the only thing legible was a letter in English confirming that Galloway was very bad man. Yup, that's how it happened. Connections with MI5? What here at The Daily Telegraph? Don't be ridiculous."

He is still a Grade A Barmpot who loves the limelight more than his cause, but he gets a rough deal from some sinister people.

Galloway is growing on me too - just check out on Youtube his day at the Senate; despite effectively being in the dock, he absolutely pulled their pants down, completely destroyed them and gave them a good shoeing about American foreign policy as he did so. Brilliant, brilliant stuff......

It'll be a long time before i respect Gattuso...

He's the definition of a filthy player, and the fact he's so cold and calculated about the cynical challenges he makes in order to get away with it makes me hate him even more. I despise the type of player he is, He's nothing but a nasty little **** put on the pitch to break play up with cynical challenges... and his antics when he gets a late challenge are laughable.

I didn't know this at the time, but Steven Gerrard's interviews in the build up to this weeks final really showed what a **** Gattuso is. celebrating at half time, showing no respect to liverpool or it's players and if ever a player deserved to lose out on that accolade, it's him.

Galloway is a legend.

He is one of a dying breed in parliament: someone with an independent mind.

I couldn't care less about his policies - he has zero power to implement his policy. What he does offer (despite his abysmal attendance record) is the ability and the willingness to hold the government to account. If he thinks the government is doing something wrong he'll question them about it.

Without mavericks like him, our system of democracy falls to pieces. That's why I'd happily vote for someone like a Galloway. He is one of the few left, maybe him Austin Mitchell, Norman Baker (although he strikes me as humourless) and one or two others. Galloway is opinionated and a fantastic debater - he therefore belongs in Parliament regardless of his political persuasion.

Galloway is a legend.

He is one of a dying breed in parliament: someone with an independent mind.

I couldn't care less about his policies - he has zero power to implement his policy. What he does offer (despite his abysmal attendance record) is the ability and the willingness to hold the government to account. If he thinks the government is doing something wrong he'll question them about it.

Without mavericks like him, our system of democracy falls to pieces. That's why I'd happily vote for someone like a Galloway. He is one of the few left, maybe him Austin Mitchell, Norman Baker (although he strikes me as humourless) and one or two others. Galloway is opinionated and a fantastic debater - he therefore belongs in Parliament regardless of his political persuasion.

Galloway is a far left **** and a closet Muslim!!! :guns:

Cristiano ronaldo, hate figure from the World Cup, but he just got on with his job and made himself into probably the best player in the world. I also admired the way that he was the only one that didnt give up when we beat Man U n the cup...... Earned a lot of my respect that evening

Jamal Campbell-Rice- Used to frustrate the hell out me watching him but now i admire his skills.

C.Ronaldo- As stated above

Joey Barton- One of the only english players that speaks there mind, not very keen on his antics but hey no one is perfect.

Tony Blair- Come through alot and still a strong man, with his actions and views

So you don't like him?

Remember: it's not against any law to be a "far left ****" or a Muslim. One can have an opinion but let's have some basis to the opinion.

Your quite right and I agree 100%. So with that in mind, George Galloway is a two faced fraud for the following reasons.

1. Accused of meeting Saddam Hussain for which he never gave a valid reason he would counter with arguements against war with Iraq. A serving member of parliment is accountable, he refused to be accountable.

2. He openly supported insurgent attacks against allied troops but never questioned terrorist attacks against the general populance and against the minority sunni muslims of Northern Iraq.

3. He campaigned in an area where there was maximum support from a mainly muslim community against the war on Iraq, he is from Glasgow not Bethnal Green and could'nt have given a flying f*ck about the place before he started his crausade.

4. Who can possibley trust anybody to represent your community who pretends to be a cat on Big Brother? Have some respect for yourself.

5. With brings me nicely to the very name of his political party, RESPECT, that works both ways and if you can't respect the other arguement then why should anyone have your arguement forced upon them.

George Galloway is a washed up has-been who failed with the Labour Party and latched onto a majority view in a minority area. Left-wing BNP if you ask me.

Back