• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Phil Brown: I'm still looking for someone who can score goals

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown was left ruing his side's failure to finish following Saturday's 1-0 defeat to Swindon Town at Roots Hall.

More...

A real confidence booster for Hunt, Mooney, Pigott, etc then.

That said, he doesn't have much choice but to show he is trying to change things to get some goals.

So after having a clean slate to sign strikers this year he's brought 3 in and pretty much written them off already?

Also, 2 up front at home might help

He hasn't written them off, he has said he is looking for someone to play alongside Hunt, which implies he has only written off two of them, and also that he is looking at playing 2 up top

Problem is most clubs are after a goal scorer, that's why clubs have to pay a premium for them and it does not always work out. what is needed is to sort out the FREE KICKS and CORNERS, never seem to score from them and not using the famous long throw all the time.

Why not just give Hunt and Mooney a few games together up top.

True, or even Hunt an Piggott (they looked OK against Brighton).

I still think we need another forward, as ideally a squad should have 4, but I think that Hunts injury came at the wrong time, and forced brown to chop and change.

I think the plan is for Hunt to play pretty much all the time, and play another one off him, or as a lone striker depending on the opposition, but another forward will increase the options for when Hunt isn't available.

There have been shed fulls of posts on here last week and particularly this weekend telling me that we need to find a goal scoring striker. I've posted on here telling anyone who will listen that we still need another goal scoring forward and Cricko has dedicated a thread to the subject. Why is it such a surprise when PB says the same thing?

I really do think that Brown thinks he is Mourinho sometimes. He publicly laid into five players this week, knowing they are class enough to react to it and should put in a good performance next match. But you can't do that to lower league players, especially young ones like Pigott. They will go into their shell. A real confidence bashing if you ask me.
In addition to that Brown was the one who chased and chased both Pigott and Mooney and yet after five games they aren't good enough. Mooney has only played a game and a half in the league. Does seem strange to me.

Last edited:
I like Brown generally , but he's really starting to get on my nerves now. Playing the ridiculously isolated lone forward every home match we simply dont look like scoring ( however he tries to flower it up as a 433 , when ever could anyone say Worrall + Atkinson are strikers ?)

Brown has a very short memory. The only reason that he got this job in the first place was because Sturrock played the same tactics and got absolutely slaughtered for it ( and sacked !!! )

Brown was the one who bought Mooney + Piggott ... they must be gutted they signed for us now!!!!!! It just underlines that Brown has lost the plot in an attacking capacity...

How many times have we told him this tactic doesnt work? How many dropped points will we make before it finally sinks in !!! We can all see it , when is Phil Brown going to wake up ?????

arrrghhhhhh its soooooooooo frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

There have been shed fulls of posts on here last week and particularly this weekend telling me that we need to find a goal scoring striker. I've posted on here telling anyone who will listen that we still need another goal scoring forward and Cricko has dedicated a thread to the subject. Why is it such a surprise when PB says the same thing?

Hmmm Phil did sign the 3 we have and they have all drawn blanks,Williams look's binned forever,strange !

It's not so strange. He's nowhere near good enough for the first team.

I meant,

Phil asks Ron "we must sign Mooney on a 2 year deal"
Phil asks Ron "we must get Hunt at all costs"
Phil asks Ron "we must sign Joe"
Phil asks Ron "yeah Defo give Williams a deal"

At some stage Ron will say bugger off.

Phil Brown has been manager for around 29 months and for the whole of that time he has a) needed a scorer and b) refused to utilise the ones he has. How long does he need?

A real confidence booster for Hunt, Mooney, Pigott, etc then.

That said, he doesn't have much choice but to show he is trying to change things to get some goals.
I find PB is too honest in these Echo interviews, and agree this will surely knock the confidence of the above strikers.

Back