• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That's quite long odds for him. He was far shorter for the Sunderland and Bolton jobs which he didn't get.

He did not apply for the Bolton job. He was offered a job as the assistant under Allardyce at Sunderland but turned it down. The second Sunderland rumour was pure invention by a certain Echo reporter who more or less announced what he was going to do on here before his interview.....Still never let the truth get in the way.

I wont be putting any money on him for the Barnsley or Bradford job. Nothing is 100% in football but I would save my money for another bet.

Don't believe everything posted on a forum.:winking:

I never ever warmed to the man, some people you just feel in your gut are not what we need as a club.. For sure he led us up and signed what is now a great squad....His man management skills however and the persona he has always given off have been more about him rather than our club.

He deserves some credit, but lost the plot over the past season...Thank the Gods we have CP now and our club is back together as one with the fans, who after all are the most important ingredient of all.

It is always interesting how it's Brown that declares the interest and not the other way round.

I never ever warmed to the man, some people you just feel in your gut are not what we need as a club.. For sure he led us up and signed what is now a great squad....His man management skills however and the persona he has always given off have been more about him rather than our club.

He deserves some credit, but lost the plot over the past season...Thank the Gods we have CP now and our club is back together as one with the fans, who after all are the most important ingredient of all.

Look on the bright side with no PB we would have no CP.

What is an absolute fact is we had a really bad name in the football world when PB took over. Players not being paid etc is just about the worst reputation you can have. Yes Sturrock had done a good job and stopped the ship from actually sinking but people within the game advised PB not to take the gig.

I'm sure some will claim otherwise but we weren't in any position at the time to be fussy. The time it took to get CP and his staff through the door means some questions are still being asked......Lets see what happens this summer.

I'm with Cricko and and many others that never warmed to him. However you'd think he did a solid enough job for us for a few years that he would pick up a gig somewhere given some of the 'talent' that is out there managing.

I'm with Cricko and and many others that never warmed to him. However you'd think he did a solid enough job for us for a few years that he would pick up a gig somewhere given some of the 'talent' that is out there managing.

I never warmed to him but he leaves us a division higher than he found us. Too many comments on here currently seemingly celebrating the demise of someone who, as the history books will show, was one of our better managers. Yes he'd had his time, yes his love of the media was a little disturbing, yes it's nice to see Powell start well, but surely we give the man his due, thank him, and wish him the best. It's no surprise that the three clubs to need a manager after us - Bradford, Cambridge, Grimsby have all had PB linked with them. He has 2 promotions on his managerial CV - most don't manage 1.

I never warmed to him but he leaves us a division higher than he found us. Too many comments on here currently seemingly celebrating the demise of someone who, as the history books will show, was one of our better managers. Yes he'd had his time, yes his love of the media was a little disturbing, yes it's nice to see Powell start well, but surely we give the man his due, thank him, and wish him the best. It's no surprise that the three clubs to need a manager after us - Bradford, Cambridge, Grimsby have all had PB linked with them. He has 2 promotions on his managerial CV - most don't manage 1.

Great fit for Grimsby as I’ve never forgiven them for their antics in 2005

I have to admit when we appointed him I was concerned due to his antics at Hull etc. However he did something Sturrock couldn't which was to get us out of League two and looking up again. People took against him, I'm not too bothered about that for me he did a good job for us with bugger all finance available, he got us into league one and kept us there, which was no mean feat given we'd started under Sturrock with about ten players in the summer of 2010.

His win rate was quite good about 40% as well, people can slag him off I couldn't care - I thank him for all he did for us.

On another note that picture is pretty shocking tho!

I have to admit when we appointed him I was concerned due to his antics at Hull etc. However he did something Sturrock couldn't which was to get us out of League two and looking up again. People took against him, I'm not too bothered about that for me he did a good job for us with bugger all finance available, he got us into league one and kept us there, which was no mean feat given we'd started under Sturrock with about ten players in the summer of 2010.

His win rate was quite good about 40% as well, people can slag him off I couldn't care - I thank him for all he did for us.

I couldn't have put it better. At the end of the day, whilst managing SUFC he won us more games then we lost. (that's obviously a good thing).

Come to think of it. Of the 251 games he managed us, he won and drawn 163 of those. Meaning we only dropped 88 points out of the 359 points we made within 251 matches.

Not a bad stat considering the long time he was in charge.

As others have said previously, I thank him for his service to our club for nearly 5 years, and I wish him all the very best in the future.

Do agree with most of what you say and I too think Brown overall did a good job. We're in a better position than when he arrived, thats all you can ask really.

But I think you are being a bit generous with the highlighted point. I'd love to see our wage bill with the likes of Ferdinand, Turner, Kightly, Cox, MaF on it! We've probably brought in as high profile a squad on what must be big money, since Whelan was let loose with a chequebook!

Do agree with most of what you say and I too think Brown overall did a good job. We're in a better position than when he arrived, thats all you can ask really.

But I think you are being a bit generous with the highlighted point. I'd love to see our wage bill with the likes of Ferdinand, Turner, Kightly, Cox, MaF on it! We've probably brought in as high profile a squad on what must be big money, since Whelan was let loose with a chequebook!

Yes you have a point here, perhaps our budget was / is better than some but in his early days we didn't have likes of Ferdinand etc. We've received some decent fees in the last 2-3 seasons, which ahs probably helped here. The squad that got promoted was probably still (relatively) cheap.

The performance and lack of results of the team over the final weeks of Phil Brown's tenure at the Club made it very easy to forget the stuff he delivered which made me. as a supporter, very happy. The RHBs day out at Wembley was one of the best highlights of the time I have been watching Southend United. For drama and excitement it was up there with the best. Last season, right up until the last game, the side were playing some delightful football. Ok, we ultimately managed to snatch defeat from the mouth of victory, but that's what this club sometimes does. He certainly made some errors this season, but I thought the side that was put together at the start of the season was good enough to be in contention and no one could have foreseen the catalogue of injuries that beset the side.

When it comes to me liking a Southend manager or not, I think that is secondary to him delivering results and sometimes exciting football. He did that for me last season, and against Blackburn first game and then again against Charlton this season. The final period of his time with us showed that his time was up and Ron acted. In spite of all the final unhappy stuff, that you Mr Brown for some great memories.

Back