• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I will miss the second leg of the playoffs as I and some other SUFC fans will be in Scotland preparing for our Three Peaks Challenge starting the next day. I am pretty sure our first priority will be finding a pub showing the game though :smile: Then I will be in Spain if we get to the final recovering from said challenge so definitely hoping for automatic promotion!!

They (Sly) have allowed every wombat who sits on their arse in front of the telly to become an expert on football games and football players and the game of football without even setting foot in a single football ground.

It allows them to spout on endlessly about "completed passes" and "assists" and other rubbish that they hear on Sly - they become experts on how and what a referee should have done during a game and they are able to judge whether a player is off-side from their armchair.

Worse of all, they haven't been there to support their team (or any team) at any ground and they haven't assisted in providing an atmosphere and they haven't contributed to the game in my view.

How's that for starters?

Get rid of that and we don't have a forum here.

If you put a leech on a person who is ill and next week they are better, one might conclude that the leech was the cure for the illness. Or perhaps not - it could have been something else.

Likewise, the fact that attendances have increased when Sly is here does not (for me) sound conclusive. I think attendances were declining whilst "The Big Match" was on TV on a Sunday afternoon - clearly a link that needs investigating.

There will be multiple factors as to why attendances have increased - and some have been mentioned above. To suggest that it is Sly alone would indicate to me that you are taking their advertising a little too seriously.

I never said solely Sky, but the profile of the game has clearly been raised by the extra coverage and the extra money.

You would not have had the likes of Dennis Bergkamp/Zola etc coming to the country without the boost that Sky gave the game.

Sky have turned our game, obviously the premiership, into a global brand, it would not have happened without their coverage.

The fact that we have higher attendances and are still struggling.

How is that connected to Sky Sports ?

I will miss the second leg of the playoffs as I and some other SUFC fans will be in Scotland preparing for our Three Peaks Challenge starting the next day. I am pretty sure our first priority will be finding a pub showing the game though :smile: Then I will be in Spain if we get to the final recovering from said challenge so definitely hoping for automatic promotion!!

Make sure you keep us informed. I've always wanted to the do the 3 peaks...

Get rid of that and we don't have a forum here.

Most of us attend matches though.

I mean you live 400 miles away and still attend a fair bit!

I don't subscribe to Sky and whilst I think the consensus is that the best punditry (admittedly that's a low bar) is on Sky they are also responsible for Tim Lovejoy so are unable to take the moral high-ground.

I genuinely believe that one of the things that has held back English football has been the abysmal level of punditry, which hasn't informed or educated the watching public on tactics.

When was the last time you watched a game and learnt something from an "expert" summariser?

Sorry to bring this back up but can't see any announcement as to which fixture will be played when - ie will it be 4th v 7th on the Saturday night and 5th v 6th on the Sunday? Or vice versa.

We've now secured a playoff place and positions will start to be finalised in the next ten days. Would be nice to get a head start on making arrangements for the away leg.

Sorry to bring this back up but can't see any announcement as to which fixture will be played when - ie will it be 4th v 7th on the Saturday night and 5th v 6th on the Sunday? Or vice versa.

We've now secured a playoff place and positions will start to be finalised in the next ten days. Would be nice to get a head start on making arrangements for the away leg.

A question I was about to pose, thanks!

No info on Football League website about this, last year us vs Burton (5th vs 6th) was on the Saturday, and 4th vs 7th was on the Sunday.

I imagine they won't decide until the two pairings are known.

For the past 4 seasons, the teams finishing 4th & 5th have been away for the 1st leg. Win at the weekend and we will have secured one of those places.

Also seems that the 4th place team plays their game first, although last season was different due to Fleetwood's pitch being flooded.

I think a Sunday evening in Plymouth might be a bridge too far for me. Can't make the second leg. Bah.

And they will again this year. The only way that could change is at the request of the police.

Will definitely be the same, having the home leg second is seen to be an advantage thus giving it to the sides finishing higher in the table? Same for Champions league after group stages

With a 7 point gap and only 3 games to go, its pretty much certain that we will be away on the Saturday/Sunday and home on the Thursday.

That's good, have other commitments on the 9th/10th and 16th/17th, so away for the first leg and home on the Thursday night works well! Just hope they keep 4th and 5th as away first, as it would be very annoying to miss the home leg and then have to take time off to go to the away game!

Will definitely be the same, having the home leg second is seen to be an advantage thus giving it to the sides finishing higher in the table? Same for Champions league after group stages

Unfortunately for us it hasn't been an advantage in our last 2 play-off campaigns and with our away record this year I'd personally rather be at home first (which barring a total collapse we won't be!).

Hey ho though, I'm feeling very positive about the play-offs this time around. Both ourselves and Bury will be big favourites to progress to Wembley if Wycombe hold on to 3rd spot.

6.35 on a Sunday night. Great for people at school with exams...

easy decision- miss the football. It may not seem like it but school exams are far more important. It really is a no brainier. Anyone telling you anything different isn't putting you first . You have to live with the consequences, they don't. Remember if you miss a certain grade by just one mark you will always wonder what might have been.

Back