• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

There's no-one we should be scared of amongst those teams. Let's get it on!
There is just one that gives me a twinge of concern. I know that I'm getting far ahead of myself but should we get to Wembley, our opponents could well be York City and there are a number of worrying parallels. York, like Crewe a couple of years ago, have stormed in late to the play-offs on the back of a fifteen match unbeaten run. (and yes, I know we haven't lost to them this season).
Two years ago they arrived at Wembley for the Conference play-off Final against the probable favourites, Luton Town. In the presence of 39,000, the great majority, over 30K, wearing orange ( another stat that jogs the memory [Crewe JPT]), York came from a goal behind, to win promotion.

My original (slight) concern was us and Wembley, whatever competition it is. By the way, I want to be proved horribly wrong.

I don't think it is fair to say that we didn't show up at Wembley. Brown got his tactics wrong and we lost to a much better football team than we were. It happens. The players put the effort in.

I don't think it is fair to say that we didn't show up at Wembley. Brown got his tactics wrong and we lost to a much better football team than we were. It happens. The players put the effort in.

Well, ten of them did. This image still haunts my nightmares...

article-2305331-19271390000005DC-44_634x515.jpg

Again, Bil tried though. He was massively out of position and out of his depth but I don't think he can be accused of not trying. The interview he did a few weeks back confirms that he's still bothered about his performance that day.

My original (slight) concern was us and Wembley, whatever competition it is. By the way, I want to be proved horribly wrong.

I know exactly what you mean, looking at those cup finals....no goals, poor performances, then our solitary success against Lincoln,,,,3-1 down on big finals, time to make it 3-2, also I think our current team have a bit of an ego thing and wont flop on the big stage.

Just to add a bit of perspective, the only time we have played in a final against a team in the same league as us we won !

There is just one that gives me a twinge of concern. I know that I'm getting far ahead of myself but should we get to Wembley, our opponents could well be York City and there are a number of worrying parallels. York, like Crewe a couple of years ago, have stormed in late to the play-offs on the back of a fifteen match unbeaten run. (and yes, I know we haven't lost to them this season).
Two years ago they arrived at Wembley for the Conference play-off Final against the probable favourites, Luton Town. In the presence of 39,000, the great majority, over 30K, wearing orange ( another stat that jogs the memory [Crewe JPT]), York came from a goal behind, to win promotion.

York are certainly the in-form team at the moment, but we have been very solid ourselves so nothing to fear.

Regards to playing a team 3 times in a row I am sure it must have happened at some stage with a league game sandwiched in between a cup game and a replay. Nothing springs to mind with Southend though I am sure it must have happened at some point. I do recall Spurs and Wimbledon playing a league game in between a 2 legged League Cup semi-Final a few years back.

I used the term 'turn up' and I think it is getting taken a little out of context. My use of the term 'turn up' meant going to a match and playing as well as I know our team can. I was not doubting the effort that they put in, nor the fact that Crewe were a better footballing side. But the offering that the Blues put on show was not their best game by any means and I was/still am a little concerned that it could happen again. If we hadn't had that period of inertia a few games back I probably wouldn't have the concern. Mind you, if they hadn't had the dodgy period we would probably be in an auto position.

I hope we get Burton in the playoffs. I fancy us over 2 legs against them, and I would then fancy us against either Fleetwood or York at Wembley, with them both having such a long trip and far less support than we will on the day.

Regards to playing a team 3 times in a row I am sure it must have happened at some stage with a league game sandwiched in between a cup game and a replay. Nothing springs to mind with Southend though I am sure it must have happened at some point. I do recall Spurs and Wimbledon playing a league game in between a 2 legged League Cup semi-Final a few years back.
If (we won't) we lost to Burton in the semi and they lost the final we could then play them first game of next season and first round of the League Cup for 5 games in a row. I'll stick with getting promotion though.

Don't think it's ever happened although we have played Sheffield Wednesday, Brentford, Northampton and Portsmouth in 3 games out of 4.

If (we won't) we lost to Burton in the semi and they lost the final we could then play them first game of next season and first round of the League Cup for 5 games in a row. I'll stick with getting promotion though.

League Cup is seeded, sorry.

Wembley is my worry. :winking: We have a terrible record there of losing every game ............ just the opposite of the fantastic record we have against Manchester United ...............:unsure: :gun:

Wembley is my worry. :winking: We have a terrible record there of losing every game ............ just the opposite of the fantastic record we have against Manchester United ...............:unsure: :gun:

As I pointed out earlier, we have lost 3 finals, all against teams in the league above.

We have a perfect record against teams in our own division, thats the fact to focus on :smile:

Back