• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

jaffa1

Manager
Southend United manager Phil Brown has said his team are playing like individuals following their second heavy loss at home in a row.
The Shrimpers followed up the 4-0 loss to Millwall on 28 December with a 3-0 reverse against Doncaster on Saturday.
"I'm disappointed with the group mentality. They've made it easy for me to pick a team next week," said Brown.
"We've never played as individuals in the last two and a half years - but at this moment in time we are."
He told BBC Essex: "I need to get that collective group mentality back and if that means changing personnel, I'll change personnel. There's not one of them safe, apart from Adam Thompson."
Southend had gone into December's game against the Lions on the back of victories over Bury and Essex rivals Colchester.
Despite the defeats, Brown's side are still seventh in their first season back in League One following promotion last year, three points off sixth-placed Peterborough and the final play-off spot.
"I think the questions I'll be asking will be about the difference between the teams that played Millwall and Doncaster and the two teams that played against Bury and Colchester," said Brown.
"But that's my job - maybe it's a bridge too far for one or two of them in terms of the standard of the division or a bridge to far for one or two in terms of the amount of games we've had."

" - maybe it's a bridge too far for one or two of them in terms of the standard of the division or a bridge to far for one or two in terms of the amount of games we've had."

... or maybe there were some very poor decisions made by the man who picks the team ?

Sometimes the acceptance that you made an error, ie: team selection, will enable you to move on as a team also.

Stupid comments. We are 7th so the players can't be that bad. Only making 1 change in 3 games over Christmas is why we've looked so lethargic in the last 2 home home games and there is no excuse for playing injured players

A bridge to far for one or two he says. What the same players that got us to seventh and played so well against Bury three home game ago. The blame lies at PB doorstep, it was clear that a few were struggling on boxing day, yet he made no changes for the Millwall game and then kept 10 of the 11 who got spanked by Millwall in the side for Saturday. Add to the fact that we played no wingers, therefore had no width in the side on Saturday. Needs to look in the mirror does Mr Brown

Southend United manager Phil Brown has said his team are playing like individuals following their second heavy loss at home in a row.
The Shrimpers followed up the 4-0 loss to Millwall on 28 December with a 3-0 reverse against Doncaster on Saturday.
"I'm disappointed with the group mentality. They've made it easy for me to pick a team next week," said Brown.
"We've never played as individuals in the last two and a half years - but at this moment in time we are."
He told BBC Essex: "I need to get that collective group mentality back and if that means changing personnel, I'll change personnel. There's not one of them safe, apart from Adam Thompson."
Southend had gone into December's game against the Lions on the back of victories over Bury and Essex rivals Colchester.
Despite the defeats, Brown's side are still seventh in their first season back in League One following promotion last year, three points off sixth-placed Peterborough and the final play-off spot.
"I think the questions I'll be asking will be about the difference between the teams that played Millwall and Doncaster and the two teams that played against Bury and Colchester," said Brown.
"But that's my job - maybe it's a bridge too far for one or two of them in terms of the standard of the division or a bridge to far for one or two in terms of the amount of games we've had."
I think Brown is overly results orientated in his post match comments. If we had won earlier in the season when we didn't play great, he would always say 'the lads are showing they belong in this division' etc. One or two bad performances (most players will have that in a season) and suddenly they don't belong in the division? Seems very drastic.

... or maybe there were some very poor decisions made by the man who picks the team ?

It was essentially the same team that played against Bury and Colchester so the players have to take responsibility also. It is not a simple as praising the team when they win and blaming Brown when they lose. Their performance against Millwall in particular was shocking.

I would like to have a seen a few more changes against Doncaster but the players were at least given a chance to redeem themselves....

I can see where he is coming from, I am sure Adam Barrett charging forward with gay abandon only 20 minutes in , leaving Leonard to cover, was not something actively discussed in the team talk.

Love it how Phil rarely ever blames himself.

My advice Phil is keep your comments within the dressing room.

It was essentially the same team that played against Bury and Colchester so the players have to take responsibility also. It is not a simple as praising the team when they win and blaming Brown when they lose. Their performance against Millwall in particular was shocking.

I would like to have a seen a few more changes against Doncaster but the players were at least given a chance to redeem themselves....

...and that's the way I see it. Would've got given a bollocking post Millwall then a little tap on the shoulder and given the "but I trust you...go and show me what you got son"...hoping the players would then stand up and be counted and prove a point. They haven't...so changes are made and the players coming in know if they perform they keep the shirt. Brown shows his players loyalty....it works out sometimes and this time it didn't.

...and that's the way I see it. Would've got given a bollocking post Millwall then a little tap on the shoulder and given the "but I trust you...go and show me what you got son"...hoping the players would then stand up and be counted and prove a point. They haven't...so changes are made and the players coming in know if they perform they keep the shirt. Brown shows his players loyalty....it works out sometimes and this time it didn't.

You have such blind faith in Phil it is almost hysterical ,Phil set them up wrong and selected the team,he has to take his share of blame,but hey you probably think Phil is beyond reproach.

To an extent I have to agree with mrsblue.

Phil does need to stand up and be counted and take his share of the blame for the last 2 losses. as manager he is accountable for tactics, systems, substitions etc.. But he is only in control to a certain extent, once our players get out there on the pitch. Maybe there has some been some back room bust up, unknown to us, or Phil has a point, and the team have just changed for some reason from playing as a team to playing as individuals. Who knows?

I personally think of late, he is feeling the wrath of Ron, and in his post match interviews (as well as others) his eye contact is towards the floor, the nervous scratching etc, just isnt in his normal self (I think there is more to it than meets the eye... no pun intended). Especially after the Millwall interview his opening line was "It had a heavy impact on myself, the following day to tell you the truth"... Maybe Rons given him the famous "Hairdryer treatment"... yet without ithe infamous Ron Hairspray!! :smile:

Back