• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I've only just realised that this ends our unbeaten run in November. Makes it even worse.

And having some creativity or drive in midfield.

Leonard was sat too deep and Wright doesn't have a defence splitting pass in him so just ended up going from one side of the pitch across to the other back and forth until someone hoofed it forward to Ranger or Robinson, leaving Cox wasted in no man's land.

Almost sounds like the whole system was set-up to crowbar Theo into the side.

..... sack a groundsman of 20 years experience for a mistake is a joke.

Our pitch is now showing the price.
The condition of the pitch this season has been well documented and has nothing to do with the sacking of the Head Groundsman last season.

Brown continues to set the team up not to lose rather than to win. Sadly no creativity nor real attacking threat.

The condition of the pitch this season has been well documented and has nothing to do with the sacking of the Head Groundsman last season.

Then it's one hell of a coincidence. Sack out groundsman of 20 years. Next season the pitch is the worst it's been in 20 years.

Brown continues to set the team up not to lose rather than to win. Sadly no creativity nor real attacking threat.

Nathan Jones has been mentioned a few times. He sets his teams to attack, drive forward and they are beating teams 7-0. While you are attacking, the other team have to defend and can't attack. Always very fine margins with Brown to gain that 1-0 win. Once we concede first, the tactic is gone and there is no other tactic. I'd rather win 7-6 than lose 1-0...or 3, 4 or 5-0 that we have seen this season.

I know fans can sometimes be magnanimous in winning, but the Portsmouth fans had mainly good things to say about our performance. They seemed to think we were one of the better teams they've faced (damning with faint praise?), that Portsmouth just about deserved the 3 points and that Southend will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

Absolutely agree with this! Wright is a decent penalty taker and should be taking our penalties! Why ranger took the pen i will never know!! Brown said there is que of players waiting to take pens.cox has failed now ranger,next is theo and then wright! Personally i think theo should have taken it as hes scored 4 goals in his last 2 games although one was a friendley hes confidence must have been high!

Nathan Jones has been mentioned a few times. He sets his teams to attack, drive forward and they are beating teams 7-0. While you are attacking, the other team have to defend and can't attack. Always very fine margins with Brown to gain that 1-0 win. Once we concede first, the tactic is gone and there is no other tactic. I'd rather win 7-6 than lose 1-0...or 3, 4 or 5-0 that we have seen this season.

Excellent game for them today and one for the fans to remember in years to come. Just to give a little balance, Luton Town have drawn 2 and lost 1 of their previous 3 games.

It's why he has to go. Such a negative manager. Tries not to lose games , with little effort to win games

Apart from playing 3 forwards away at Portsmouth and having more shots and corners than the home team.

Nice day to wheel out the old myth of if you attack you win always win 5-4. look at the Shrewsbury and Wigan goals conceded column and some of Southend's most 'fickle' fans might actually learn something about the game of Football.

Indeed.

Team at the top let the least number of goals in and teams at the bottom let the most in.

Also, there aren't any sides in the history of football who consistently win 5-4, 4-3 and the like.

Excellent game for them today and one for the fans to remember in years to come. Just to give a little balance, Luton Town have drawn 2 and lost 1 of their previous 3 games.

I'd take that

They also beat Stevenage 7-0 and Yeovil 8-2, the team we lost to in the cup

They also beat Col U 3-0

Whereas of our previous three league games, we'd won 2 and drawn 1.

Apart from playing 3 forwards away at Portsmouth and having more shots and corners than the home team.

Nice day to wheel out the old myth of if you attack you win always win 5-4. look at the Shrewsbury and Wigan goals conceded column and some of Southend's most 'fickle' fans might actually learn something about the game of Football.

They aren't fickle fans. They are fans that have supported Southend for many years. They are fans that have had enough of Browns poor tactics, poor man management and want change for the good of Southend. We could lose every week and you'd still advocate Brown as manager so anything you say is pointless really

Yes he's the latest in long list who pop up every time we lose. I thought flavour of the month were the Cowley brothers, I guess 10th in L2 has put a few of the usual suspects off for a month.

How about Justin Edinburgh, this time last year as an ex shrimper he was lorded on here.

What about that other Luton manager John Steel he was absolutely the man for us when we lost up there 2-0. The thing is he didn't want to take a wage and budget cut to come to us. Luton ended up not making the play-offs. I had a lovely day out with 22,000 shrimpers the following May. Not one of them has mentioned his name since......Fickle lot football supporters.

Had an enjoyable day at Portsmouth yesterday, with one notable exception of course - the only victory I witnessed was Nelson's flagship.

Thanks to whoever it was suggested using the Park and Ride and the train. Brilliant system, and what an impressive transport interchange at The Hard - I thought I was in Germany or Switzerland or somewhere modern like that where things work smoothly and efficiently. Actually had time to pop in to see the Mary Rose exhibition before catching the train to Fratton. As I entered the stadium I dropped my wallet and walked on unknowing. A big Pompey fan tapped me on the shoulder and gave it back to me. Top bloke.

Then the downside of the day - the match. Fratton Park is an impressive stadium and it was great to see it looking, and sounding, full. I was sitting in the Milton Stand just across the barrier from the Southend fans and I must say I was really proud of them. They sang and banged that bloomin' drum all afternoon, except when impeccably observing the minute's silence and applauding in tribute in the 58th minute to the Pompey fan who died of cancer. I wish I could say that I was proud of our team. I suppose I can say that they didn't give up and kept on plugging away until the end - indeed I thought they might score from that last gasp corner - but their shooting was poor. Even Lennie ballooned a couple of shots high, wide and not at all handsome.

I thought we played quite well in the first half, the chances were about equal between the teams. I couldn't see the penalty award, but can't understand why the Pompey player wasn't sent off. The Pompey fans around me must have telescopic vision because they were all convinced that it was a travesty. I knew Ranger was going to miss the penalty because the Pompey goalkeeper was bouncing around like an octopus on a trampoline while he waited to take it - I think refs should be told to make them cut that out. It certainly put me off and it did put Ranger off too - I know it shouldn't, but I'm sure that it did. Interestingly the Pompey fans were all relieved when Ranger was subbed, saying that he was Southend's major threat - I couldn't see that myself. He was at least running and trying hard, but was pretty ineffectual I thought.

Cox was more effective, but he does go down rather easily. He looks as strong as a brick outhouse but often seems made of plaster.....

McGlashan and MAF should have come on earlier. They livened things up a bit when they arrived, but it was far too late in the day. Why McLaughlin was the first sub I don't know.

At the final whistle I felt disappointed. We weren't that bad at all. Most of the Pompey lot around me thought a draw would have been a fair result. Their fans forum states: "A just about deserved win in the end, no mean achievement as Southend looked the better team on the day in the first half, but were very average in the second." That's a fair assessment, I think.

Last edited:
Yes he's the latest in long list who pop up every time we lose. I thought flavour of the month were the Cowley brothers, I guess 10th in L2 has put a few of the usual suspects off for a month.

How about Justin Edinburgh, this time last year as an ex shrimper he was lorded on here.

What about that other Luton manager John Steel he was absolutely the man for us when we lost up there 2-0. The thing is he didn't want to take a wage and budget cut to come to us. Luton ended up not making the play-offs. I had a lovely day out with 22,000 shrimpers the following May. Not one of them has mentioned his name since......Fickle lot football supporters.

Love how you twist what someone says to suit your own agenda and reply. You do it all the time.

I never said I want Nathan Jones here, I was just pointing out some of the results he has gained through attacking football with the correct players and the correct set up.

No idea who John Steel is but I've never advocated John Still or Justin Edinburgh as Southend manager. It's not my money and not my job to decide who manages Southend but as a fan who pays good money to watch Southend, I am entitled to an opinion, as you are too. I won't be called fickle because I have an opinion that doesn't match yours.

Had an enjoyable day at Portsmouth yesterday, with one notable exception of course - the only victory I witnessed was Nelson's flagship.

Thanks to whoever it was suggested using the Park and Ride and the train. Brilliant system, and what an impressive transport interchange at The Hard - I thought I was in Germany or Switzerland or somewhere modern like that where things work smoothly and efficiently. Actually had time to pop in to see the Mary Rose exhibition before catching the train to Fratton. As I entered the stadium I dropped my wallet and walked on unknowing. A big Pompey fan tapped me on the shoulder and gave it back to me. Top bloke.

Then the downside of the day - the match. Fratton Park is an impressive stadium and it was great to see it looking, and sounding, full. I was sitting in the Milton Stand just across the barrier from the Southend fans and I must say I was really proud of them. They sang and banged that bloomin' drum all afternoon, except when impeccably observing the minute's silence and applauding in tribute in the 58th minute to the Pompey fan who died of cancer. I wish I could say that I was proud of our team. I suppose I can say that they didn't give up and kept on plugging away until the end - indeed I thought they might score from that last gasp corner - but their shooting was poor. Even Lennie ballooned a couple of shots high, wide and not at all handsome.

I thought we played quite well in the first half, the chances were about equal between the teams. I couldn't see the penalty award, but can't undersatnd why the Pompey playerw asn't sent off. The Pompey fans around me must have telescopic vision because they were all convinced that it was a travesty. I knew Ranger was going to miss the penalty because the Pompey goalkeeper was bouncing around like an octopus on a trampoline while he waited to take it - I think refs should be told to make them cut that out. It certainly put me off and it did put Ranger off too - I know it shouldn't, but I'm sure that it did. Interestingly the Pompey fans were all relieved when Ranger was subbed, saying that he was Southend's major threat - I couldn't see that myself. He was at least running and trying hard, but was pretty ineffectual I thought.

Cox was more effective, but he does go down rather easily. He looks as strong as a brick outhouse but often seems made of plaster.....

McGlashan and MAF should have come on earlier. They livened things up a bit when they arrived, but it was far too late in the day. Why McLaughlin was the first sub I don't know.

At the final whistle I felt disappointed. We weren't that bad at all. Most of the Pompey lot around me thought a draw would have been a fair result. Their fans forum states: "A just about deserved win in the end, no mean achievement as Southend looked the better team on the day in the first half, but were very average in the second." That's a fair assessment, I think.

Top match report 'Barling'. Really is, mate. Some amusing metaphors, as well. Loved the "octopus on a trampoline" description. Spot on, that! :smile:

All in all, this is what the match report thread is about. I didn't go to the game or listen to it on the radio, so this is the next best thing.

Top darts, sir and thank you! :thumbsup:

Our tactics continually change so it is difficult for the players.

Pick a side with two forwards who stay forward including one who can win the ball in the air and outmuscle defenders and one who is quick and stays on the shoulders of defenders, two wide players with one out and out winger.

Fill centre midfield with one hard nut and one ball player and have at least one quick defender and one who wins most stuff in the air.

Oh and a decent keeper - Oxley seems to be fitting the bill these days......

It's not rocket science.

With the current squad, something like:

Oxley

White
Ferdinand
Turner
Demitriou

Mcglashan
Leonard
Wordsworth
Timlin

Ranger
Cox

Subs

Smith
Hendrie
Yearwood
McLaughlin
Fortune
Ba
Kightly

Today:

Oxley was excellent.........

Everyone else put a shift in but there doesn't appear to be a lot going on at the training ground so we wasted a lot of posession.

There should be a named penalty taker and no-one else intervenes.

Where's the strong management?

Marks:

Oxley 8

White 7
Ferdinand 7
Turner 7
Timlin 7

Kightly 5
Lenny 6
Wright 6

Robinson 6
Ranger 5
Cox 5

I thought kightly was our biggest disappointment today, as he was at Yeovil. Obviously he is one of our top earners and he did get a lot of the ball today playing in the middle but as OBL rightly says nothing came of it. Some of it bad luck but most of self inflicted.

Our problems aren't at the back as we have settled down in the last few weeks. With Anton and Turner playing well Oxley really didn't have a lot to do. In fact their keeper made the best saves, any one remember Robinsons curler in the first half.

Our problem has and still is in the final third. No its not down to the myth that we sit back for a 0-0. Its a lack of quality when we do get the ball. I have long moaned about our set pieces but our crossing is also poor. That's the one area where Portsmouth were streets ahead of us. They delivered some real quality dangerous balls in the first half. Anton in particular dealt really well with them. Some were tight to Oxley but he was watching Anton and had the confidence to let him deal with it.

Eventually if you put enough dangerous balls in the box you will score and that's exactly what happened almost against the run of play. I haven't seen the goal yet but Pitman was right in the middle of the goal which gives you options as a striker. Ranger lurks beyond the far post, which gives him very little chance of scoring with his head.

When I say crosses it doesn't have to be from the by-line, you can put a ball in from 40 yds back. Wright had opportunities but would rather play a safe square ball. Kightly in the same position clipped difficult little balls down the channel for Theo to chase, even if got there he could only try and cross it under pressure.....Why not look up and put in the box in the first place, especially if your 1-0 down.

On the plus side I was impressed with Turner. People will say he has no pace but he read the game well and about 15 minutes in made good ground to get a tackle down the left side of our box. It was also his header at the far post that helped create our penalty. Shame we under hit corners in the second half so Turner had no other chances to attack.

Well done to all those who travelled, yes it was a disappointing result for sure. But in a tight, sometimes scrappy, game if you miss a penalty then you won't be the ones nicking the 3 points.

Both of you pointed out how badly Kightly played today (and at Yeovil).I think we can expect to seem him "rested" for Tuesday's night's away game.Frankly,he hasn't looked the same player for us since he came back from injury and has been living on that performance against Blackburn (and other early season home performances) for some time now.

As far as "tactics" are concerned, Phil Brown pointed out in his post-match interview that he'd played a diamond formation,largely because of the excellent pitch at Pompey.Nothing wrong with that as long as the players perform (as they did in the first half).Obviously if we'd scored from that pen.the game/result could/would have been a lot different.

It'll be interesting to see who's rested along with MK on Tuesday.Wonder if Mcglashan will start?

Back