• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Entertainment

For those that may have missed it, prior to the game yesterday, Tilly had the team take part in shooting practice with our reserve goalkeeper between the sticks. I believe he may have done this against Norwich or Coventry too?

With Tilly on the edge of the D, the player would knock him the ball before Tilly laid it square, leaving the player in a one-on-one situation in which he should shoot first time.

At the beginning of the exercise, our shooting was almost embarrassing at times. But after just a couple of minutes, shots were ripping into the inside side-netting and going just inside the uprights.

Interestingly, Gower, JCR, Eastwood and Hooper looked particularly impressive. Harrold and Bradders looked, ahem, less so, so I'm glad they bring something else to the team!

While it was great pre-match entertainment, I am convinced the exercise also played a part in our first goal. Not only was JCR already in a shooting mindset but he'd had the chance to get his eye in! Even Kev had a cracking shot on target during the game and, let's face it, that's not something we've become accustomed to!

I think you have been a bit kind there mate...

Harrold put in the single most unimpressive performace of shooting practice I have ever witnessed. I put more in in a kick about the day before than he did. I can honestly say I was left wondering how he ever made it as a footballer.

I would also add that I worry about or chances of keeping a clean sheet should Welch be called upon. I have seen Dad of DtS make more impressive saves in his time.

sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ Jan. 02 2007,10:59)]I believe he may have done this against Norwich or Coventry too?
Yes he has it started at Norwich, interestingly the game after the 4-0 defeat to Birmingham. Also since we started doing this we have been undefeated and have scored 4 goals and let in 1 in 3 games.
Undefeated in 2007and staying up!
biggrin.gif

Nice to see the boys having a pre-match cuddle as well.

Funniest part of all that was when Tilly turned to a member of ground staff standing just right of the goal and pointed out that a number of balls had left the stadium over the south upper and they only had two left. Now you would have thought this would have triggered some common sense on the part of the said member of ground staff and he might of gone to retrieve the balls that had gone AWOL but no! Said member of ground staff still stood there, hands behind his back wondering to himself what in the hell he was doing there
biggrin.gif

A minute later, with the member of ground staff still stood by the goal, Tilly motioned to the players taking part in the shooting to keep the ball as low as possible, which they duly endeavoured to do but I suspect we'll see a few more dodgy signed balls appearing on eBay in the not to distant future
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Jan. 02 2007,11:05)]I would also add that I worry about or chances of keeping a clean sheet should Welch be called upon. I have seen Dad of DtS make more impressive saves in his time.
Collis can't be too far off full training now though surely
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Jan. 02 2007,11:05)]I think you have been a bit kind there mate...

Harrold put in the single most unimpressive performace of shooting practice I have ever witnessed. I put more in in a kick about the day before than he did. I can honestly say I was left wondering how he ever made it as a footballer.

I would also add that I worry about or chances of keeping a clean sheet should Welch be called upon. I have seen Dad of DtS make more impressive saves in his time.

sad.gif
I think you saw the point I was trying to make, although I thought our keeper did well to get down to some of our strikes for such a big lad.

What DID worry me though was the ball floated in from the half-way line which he jumped up to catch, unopposed, before palming it haplessly into the goal.

down.gif

It sounds as if Welch should be applauded for building up the confidence of our shot-shy team.

Same practice was done at Coventry. To be honest it was embarassing. Especially Bradbury.No wonder he never shoots during a match. Couldn't hit a horse's arse with a banjo!

most teams do shooting before a game 2 teams my boys play for do

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Jan. 02 2007,11:05)]I would also add that I worry about or chances of keeping a clean sheet should Welch be called upon. I have seen Dad of DtS make more impressive saves in his time.
It was shooting practise...not goalkeeper training!
wink.gif

reminds me of watching the England team warm up before we played and lost 2-1 to France (Zidanes 2 last minute goals) in Lisbon Euro 2004 . I was watching David "calamity" James practicing supposedly plucking crosses out of the air ..... not. I remember turning to my mate to draw attention to him and said ," if you watch James long enough he will catch one cleanly ". He didn,t.:D

Back