• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is the curfew meant to be some sort of punishment (partly) in lieu of him serving the full sentence ? Cant really see the point of it otherwise ?

One more thing....what happens with the curfew during long away game KO 3pm?
Is the curfew meant to be some sort of punishment (partly) in lieu of him serving the full sentence ? Cant really see the point of it otherwise ?

It's about being released early "on licence". The curfew means he has conditions to abide by until his sentence is up. The curfew is only in place as long as the sentence remains to be served, therefore, by the time he's back and eligible for playing, I doubt it will still be an issue.

Pentonville was never going to be a holiday camp, though I am surprised that he was "banged up" for 23 hours a day.

He'll be on a licence of sorts (managed by the probation service I would assume), with the curfew order as one of the provisions therein. Breach of curfew equates to a breach of licence conditions and he could end up back in front of a judge.

It's about being released early "on licence". The curfew means he has conditions to abide by until his sentence is up. The curfew is only in place as long as the sentence remains to be served, therefore, by the time he's back and eligible for playing, I doubt it will still be an issue.

Pentonville was never going to be a holiday camp, though I am surprised that he was "banged up" for 23 hours a day.

23 hours a day is pretty much the norm now. And if you don't get on with your cell mate . . . . .

Just an update on Ranger. He is on a curfew from 19:00 until 07:00. He will be allowed special dispensation for evening games so could play tonight. Not sure he will because they don't want to rush him back.

He was in the cells for 23 hours a day and no use of a gym etc. He has lost muscle definition on his legs despite trying to keep fit in the cell. Not quite the holiday camp some people claimed.

At least he wasn't handcuffed to a radiator next to Terry Waite.

Just an update on Ranger. He is on a curfew from 19:00 until 07:00. He will be allowed special dispensation for evening games so could play tonight. Not sure he will because they don't want to rush him back.

He was in the cells for 23 hours a day and no use of a gym etc. He has lost muscle definition on his legs despite trying to keep fit in the cell. Not quite the holiday camp some people claimed.

23 hours a day is pretty much the norm now. And if you don't get on with your cell mate . . . . .

Ok, having now checked, I'm not sure who you've been talking to Rigsby, but I suspect the story was either over-embellished or someone didn't know what they were talking about.

There is a gym and a sports hall at Pentonville, and he would almost definitely have been given access to this and special arrangements made, as they were for Timlin, at Chelmsford - which is better able to deal with someone like them as they have 5-a-side pitches. Unless, of course, he didn't behave.

Generally, prisoners are allowed out on association enough so that no-one would be "banged up" for 23 hours - and certainly not every day. Thanks to staff shortages, it may be that different wings took a turn to miss "extra association" on any particular day. There are also classes which I would not speculate as to whether he took part in, which also count as time out of cells so I doubt very much that he was locked up for 23 hours every day......unless he was down the seg, of course, in which case it's extremely unlikely he'd have been allowed out on HDC (Home Detention Curfew). It's certainly NOT the norm for everyone to be "banged up" for 23 hours a day at any normal prison.

It's worth getting the Echo today, Tuesday. Loads of stuff about Nile Ranger. He's saying all the right things. He says how hard it was in prison of course. He can't thank SUFC enough for how they and Ron Martin have backed him and stood by him. I've been saying for a long time that he needs to move away from North London and mainly the crowd he hangs out with. That gang is clearly no good for him with all the things they get up to. At last he's realised and is moving to the Southend area.

It's worth getting the Echo today, Tuesday. Loads of stuff about Nile Ranger. He's saying all the right things. He says how hard it was in prison of course. He can't thank SUFC enough for how they and Ron Martin have backed him and stood by him. I've been saying for a long time that he needs to move away from North London and mainly the crowd he hangs out with. That gang is clearly no good for him with all the things they get up to. At last he's realised and is moving to the Southend area.

Southend area could mean lots of things.

Paggelsham, Canewdon, Barling, Sutton and Shopland.

Southend area could mean lots of things.

Paggelsham, Canewdon, Barling, Sutton and Shopland.

He actually said he's moving to Southend. Usually when a player says that they end up within a 10 mile radius, depending on what's available and what they can afford. At least it will help him stay away from trouble and he won't be late so much for training.

Don't let him tie up with the notorious CS Crew. He'll be on death row before long.......

One thing I thought when watching the game on Saturday was that if it goes wrong for him again here he's bound to get another shot somewhere. Physically the guy can just boss opposition players around at this level. For all the talk of 'last chances' I'd be surprised if that is what this is which potentially makes it difficult to keep him under control.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he's genuinely grateful for the support from Ron Martin especially but there's always another sucker out there.

Did you speak to him re moving, I don't see it in the article

Ok, having now checked, I'm not sure who you've been talking to Rigsby, but I suspect the story was either over-embellished or someone didn't know what they were talking about.

There is a gym and a sports hall at Pentonville, and he would almost definitely have been given access to this and special arrangements made, as they were for Timlin, at Chelmsford - which is better able to deal with someone like them as they have 5-a-side pitches. Unless, of course, he didn't behave.

Generally, prisoners are allowed out on association enough so that no-one would be "banged up" for 23 hours - and certainly not every day. Thanks to staff shortages, it may be that different wings took a turn to miss "extra association" on any particular day. There are also classes which I would not speculate as to whether he took part in, which also count as time out of cells so I doubt very much that he was locked up for 23 hours every day......unless he was down the seg, of course, in which case it's extremely unlikely he'd have been allowed out on HDC (Home Detention Curfew). It's certainly NOT the norm for everyone to be "banged up" for 23 hours a day at any normal prison.

The 2 people who told me he had to try and keep fit in his cell (as witnessed by another shrimper who posts on here) work for our club. Lets just say there part of the backroom staff.

But like you OBL I also checked with someone else. Someone who is a current serving prison officer. I spoke with him in the Railway before Saturdays game. He said Pentonville are struggling to attract staff, so it is quite likely that due to safety reasons prisoners my well not be allowed their 'Timlin' privileges.

Maybe the story has been over embellished but not by me and certainly not by the people who work for SUFC. So could be Nile is pulling everyone's plonker or it might just be true.

As I said, there is loads of Ranger stuff in the Echo today. Worth getting. That article posted on here was only part of it. Yes, he says he's moving to Southend. It's on page 54 in the bit about 'Blues feel like a family to me.' He says....'' I'll be looking to move to Southend soon, and that's definitely going to make things easier.'' ''It will be good to be nearer the training ground and the stadium as well.''

That article here now...
NILE Ranger insists the continued backing of Southend United has made them feel more like his family than a football club.

Blues chairman Ron Martin opted to rescue Ranger from the footballing wilderness when signing him last summer and soon rewarded him with an extended contract after the striker made an impressive start to the season.

But since then, Martin has stood by Ranger during difficult times and has even met with members of his family in a bid to bring the best out of the 26-year-old.

“The chairman has backed me all the way, he’s done the most and I don’t think people even know the half of what he’s been through with me or everything he’s done for me as well,” said Ranger.

“He’s gone above and beyond what’s expected of a chairman and has even been meeting with my mum to talk about me.

“The gaffer has also been messaging my mum because they all know how much I respect her and how important she is to me.

“But for them to do that and everything else is really good.

“This really isn’t a football club to me now - it’s my family because of what they’ve done for me and how much love they’ve shown me along with everyone else like the lads and the fans as well.

“I’m not sure I would have got these chances anywhere else and I’m incredibly grateful.”

Ranger had gone close to two years without making a first team appearance before joining Blues, initially on trial, on the eve of last summer.

And the striker - who remains on a 7pm curfew due to the conditions of his release from prison - will soon be moving to live in Southend.

“I’ll be looking to move to Southend soon and that’s definitely going to make things easier,” said Ranger.

“It will be good to be nearer the training ground and the stadium as well.”

Ranger scored eight goals in 28 games for the Shrimpers last season, with eight of those appearances coming as a substitute.

But the striker - who had not featured since April before returning at the weekend - will now be looking to help Blues end their six match winless streak.

The 2 people who told me he had to try and keep fit in his cell (as witnessed by another shrimper who posts on here) work for our club. Lets just say there part of the backroom staff.

But like you OBL I also checked with someone else. Someone who is a current serving prison officer. I spoke with him in the Railway before Saturdays game. He said Pentonville are struggling to attract staff, so it is quite likely that due to safety reasons prisoners my well not be allowed their 'Timlin' privileges.

Maybe the story has been over embellished but not by me and certainly not by the people who work for SUFC. So could be Nile is pulling everyone's plonker or it might just be true.
Yes, well, as a former Pentonville Oscar One, hubby still knows many working there. The story is over-embellished. It is categorically ILLEGAL to bang someone up for 24 hours a day - especially if they are on segregation, they are absolutely entitled to recreational or exercise time in the yard. I do know that one of Pentonville's yards is out of action at the moment so there may have been days when it was 23 hours but failure to provide exercise time would mean the prison failing on key indicators. Even if they don't get out in the yard, the wings take it in turn to have "association" time, which is when they are out on the wing and not in their cells, and if they are in relatively short term, then it is likely they are involved in classes, which are also obviously out of cell. Ranger should have qualified to be in these.

Pentonville, like many prisons, struggles to retain and recruit. That's down to successive Governments and their reductions of numbers working in prisons. When hubby was there, it was well run and cons and screws co-existed fairly harmoniously - respect was given and earned. The removal of hundreds of experienced officers through voluntary redundancy after they were effectively told there was no place for them under the new regimes is what has caused many of the problems and the lack and loss of control.

I heard he gave Mr Barrowclough some advice on his marital problems and therefore got special treatment.

Back